Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Story I've been working on; one of those fun ones to write, where you can just keep adding on sections in any direction. I've wanted for awhile to write a story about a Messiah (much like Richard Bach's awesome book Illusions), but writing as the Messiah poses some natural difficulties, so I decided to go the other direction--a man who never lets anyone forget he's not the messiah!

Feel free to play with this as you like; what I'm posting isn't complete, just what I have so far.

I can't figure out how to upload the document (computers aren't my thing, be happy I figured out how to post!), so it's just be the text below:

“I am not the messiah.”

“Uh, okay?”

“I am not a god of any kind.”

“That…umm…”

Dan was sitting at a bar, previously alone, when this man came right up to him and started a very abrupt conversation.

The man continued.

“But I think it would be rather interesting if I was.”

The man wasn’t joking, it seemed, or doing anything strange. He didn’t appear to be drunk, or otherwise in a condition to mess with his perception of reality. As far as Dan could tell, this man was being completely sincere, honest, and surprisingly open.

Still, Dan was dubious of this whole situation. “I don’t think that’s possible.”

“Of course I can’t actually become a messiah, or a god of any kind. But what about all the things that a messiah does? Think about it!” The man was getting genuinely excited, but still somewhat calm. “All the things a messiah does, besides the miracles. Tells mysterious bits of wisdom, talks in strange sorts of stories, causes massive social upheaval, dies a memorable death, is talked about for centuries to come, and leaves the world a better place. That’s what I want to do! That’s who I want to be!”

The man was smiling, happy to have told his life dream, as Dan sat for several minutes, just staring at this man. Is he for real? He seems to be.

The bartender walked over at that moment; a large, friendly man, the kind who serves office workers in the late afternoon, not the kind who breaks up fights at night. “Hey, folks! Anything I can get you?”

The man, known only as ‘not the messiah’, replied, “Got a horse?”

“I am not the messiah,” the man began again, this time, with a man at a horse barn.

“Uh, that’s good to know?” the horse barn man replied.

“Well, now that that’s out of the way, would you like to ride a horse? $20 for an hour, a hard price to beat these days.”

“But I think it would be rather interesting if I was. And yes, I’ll take a horse.”

The horse barn man laughed. “Most unique way to start a conversation I’ve ever heard! Normally people just start some boring small talk about the weather or the latest hockey game. But, not being the messiah, and thinking it would be cool to be a god…I think we’ll get along quite well. Call me Stevie, by the way.”

Not the messiah was delighted. “A good price for a horse & a man who likes interesting conversation! Today will be a good day.”

A muscular guy, obviously of Russian descent, and with a bit of a Southern drawl, Stevie laughed again. “Well, there’s no one else around for a ride, and it takes just about an hour, so I think we’ll have a good time.” He led Not the messiah to the horses. “Say, you ever rode a horse before?”

Not the messiah scoped out the horses; five of them, tied to a fence, a little tired in the hot summer sun of Indiana, looking at yet another stranger who wants to ride them. “No, but I think it would be awesome. Someone who’s not the messiah, but kind of could be, riding a horse from place to place…a good way to get a bit of the public eye, don’t you think?”

Stevie laughed again. “Yeah, I guess you’re right. So why do you want to be a messiah, anyway? Seems like an awfully stressful job, bein’ God and all.”

Stevie helped Not the messiah get on his newfound horse, named Douglas. “Well, obviously I can’t just declare myself a god, and make it happen. I’m still a human, as powerless & as guaranteed to die as anyone else. Still, being someone that people come to for answers, for wisdom, for aid like that, and being able to travel & talk & live in other people’s homes for the price of stories would be a rather interesting way to live. I feel like modern life has gotten too boring, and we need somebody to shake it up a little.”

Not the messiah made it on top of Douglas, after almost sliding off. Stevie adjusted the stirrups to match Not the messiah’s feet, then mounted his own horse, Snoopy.

“Well, I can say for sure that you’ve shaken up my day a little!” Stevie laughed again. “And I guess travelin’ on somebody else’s dime does have some appeal, ‘specially if they want you to be there.”

“Whenever you’re staying at another man’s home, you always have to make it worth his while. Some people are better at doing chores, some people are better at financial contributions…but as for myself, I think most people have a deep hunger for deep conversation, someone to talk to about the world and their lives and their troubles, and it’s just not getting fulfilled. All we have is quick, quick, quick. We like microwaves, because they’re quick. We like the news to be in little bites, because they’re quick. We like conversations to be limited to ‘Hi, I’m fine’, because it’s quick. But all of this leaves out the deep satisfaction in taking your time. Taking an hour at the barbeque grill leaves time for conversation, backgammon, and taking in the beauty of the world. Reading full news stories gives us a deeper understanding of the world around us, leaves us less susceptible to manipulation, and makes it all more interesting. Likewise, having actually deep & meaningful conversation grants us a certain depth into our own lives & worldviews that just doesn’t happen anywhere else.”

Stevie smiled, nodded, and led the horses down a path; Stevie and Not the messiah, Snoopy and Douglas. “You’re already talking like a messiah, in what you’re trying to say, but you’re not saying it in brief enough sentences.”

“I think you’re missing the point…”

“No, really. You’re saying good things, but if you want to be seen as a messiah, you’ll need one-sentence proverbs, things more easily remembered, so people can tell them to each other, and the depth you’re talking about can come from long times spent pondering your words, and figuring out how it applies to our lives. Watch out for that patch of grass coming up, Douglas is going to want to stop an’ eat it. Pull up on the reigns, and he’ll keep going.”

Not the messiah did exactly that, and the two horses & two men went down the path, deeper into a forest. Birds were all around, chirping their various songs, and somewhere nearby a stream sent water across many rocks.

“What about this?”, Not the messiah began. “It’s good that we have to wait, because waiting gives us an opportunity to appreciate what’s already here.”

“Better,” Stevie replied, steering his horse away from a tree. “But it needs to sound more proverbial. Ah, you’ll get it eventually.”

The men smirked at each other, and enjoyed the rest of the ride.

“I am not the messiah.”

“I am very confused,” the woman replied.

“Did you really have to tell this to someone who’s going to church?”

“Excuse me?”

The woman was just trying to walk down the sidewalk to her church when this black haired, blue eyed man decided to show up & start spouting off nonsense.

“Think about it! What does a messiah do?”

“If you’d like to find out, mass starts in 10 minutes.”

He smiled. “You’re talking about one messiah in particular, and of course, I can’t actually be a messiah like that. But think about it—what does a messiah do?”

She glared at him. “A messiah would tell you off for trying to take the place of God.”

He smiled again. “No, I think a real messiah would be able to listen to what I’m saying, and not jump to illogical conclusions.”

She was becoming increasingly frustrated. “Look, sir, I appreciate your interest in God, but I really think you should be going now.”

“So much for telling the truth with love.”

“Excuse me?”

“Doesn’t your Paul guy tell you to tell the truth with love?”

“Only people willing to listen to the truth,” she fumed, obviously wanting to leave this crazy man and get to church.

“I thought James told you not to judge.”

“Not unless you can already tell that the person’s not going to listen.” Why didn’t he just leave already?

“’Judge not, lest ye be judged. Behold! The judge is standing at the door.’”

“Look, mister, just get out of my face.”

“Blessed are the—”

“GET OUT!!!”

“—peacemakers…”

She stormed off, perfectly content to be away from this crazy blasphemer, to go worship her loving, accepting god.

Not the messiah stood on the sidewalk, perplexed by this woman’s behavior. He enjoyed reading holy books of all religions, but had found the holy book of Christianity to be especially interesting. He expected Christians to be the same.

There’s a lot about messiah-ing that he still needed to learn.

“I am not the messiah.”

“Um, sir?”

“Sir, you called the IT help desk of Trine University.”

“Sir, do you have any computer issues.”

“No, not particularly.”

“Then I’ll have to ask you to get off the phone. This is a university with 5,000 students, and we need to keep the phone lines free for people who actually need our help.”

“Fair enough. Have a nice day.”

“You too.”

Weirdo.

“I am not the messiah.”

The mime stared at him.

The mime continued staring.

What else could he do? The mime stared, with a confused look.

“What do you think about that?”

The mime raised a familiar finger.

“Oh.”

The mime nodded.

“I feel like this is the time when I should say something wise.”

The mime gave him a look. You think?

Not the messiah thought for a bit. “Words are helpful for communicating ideas, but the only truly important messages can be communicated with only body language.”

The mime raised the familiar finger again.

“Yes! Exactly!”

“Try harder next time,” the mime replied.

“I am not the messiah.”

“Uhh...”

She laughed a nervous laugh. “Uh, of all the first dates I’ve been on, this is the most unique conversation starter I’ve ever heard...”

He smiled. “But I think it would be rather interesting if I was.”

She laughed again, a little less nervous. “Um, mister, uh...”

As usual, he smiled. “Just call me ‘Not the messiah’.”

She looked confused. “What?”

He smiled again. “Tell me, Carol what purpose does a name serve?”

“Well, uhh...” she thought a bit. Is this a trick question? It seems too basic. Besides, a good answer should do her well. He was kind of cute. “Uhh, so we know who we’re talking about?”

“Exactly!” he said, smiling. “Identification. Names serve the purpose of distinguishing us from one another. So, calling me ‘Not the messiah’ does distinguish me from everyone else, yes?”

She laughed. “Well, I can’t say I know too many other people called ‘Not the messiah’...”

“Really, it’s a more useful name than anything else. I could be Steve, or Ray, or maybe even Rodney, but all of these names have thousands of people worldwide! But ‘Not the messiah’...that’s unique!”

“I’ll say it is.” Carol was starting to like this man, this not-messiah, but she wasn’t quite sure why.

“So,” he began, shifting his posture. “What do you like to talk about?”

“Umm...normally I begin with the usual pleasantries...’I’m Carol’, ‘How are you?’, and let the conversation flow from there.”

“Fair enough. Hi, Carol! What’s your name?”

I am not the messiah, Not the messiah wrote down, to start off a fresh new notebook, soon to be filled with big ideas & deep thought. I am not a god of any kind…

Not the messiah sat & pondered for several minutes, trying to understand what he was doing.

“I know I’m not the messiah,” he thought aloud, with no one but a tabby cat to hear. “I know I’m not, and never will be, a god of any kind. So why do I put so much effort into being one?”

“I am not the messiah.”

The man looked sternly at him. “Prove it.”

“What?”

“Prove it.”

“Uhh...” Not the messiah was suddenly the confused half of the conversation. “Do I really have to?”

“You can’t walk around, spouting out a dramatic statement like that, and not be prepared to defend it! So, prove that you’re not the messiah!”

“Well, umm...” Confused, very confused, for the first time since before he started this whole ‘Not the messiah’ business, “I will, umm, not move that mailbox over there! A messiah could move that mailbox, but I can’t!”

The man stared suspiciously. “I don’t recall any messiahs moving mailboxes. Doesn’t seem like it would be something that would mark you as being from God. I don’t recall any prophet saying ‘The Messiah will move mailboxes to please some random dude on the street!’. Try harder.”

“Ah, umm...are you sick?”

“No...”

“Well, if you were, I wouldn’t be able to heal you! There! I’m not the messiah!”

“Or a doctor.”

“Well...”

“And isn’t the whole healing thing based on faith in the Messiah, anyway? What if you are the messiah, and I just don’t believe in you?”

Not the messiah was feeling very uncomfortable.

“Look, Mr. Not-Messiah, I’m just trying to tell you that you’re getting yourself into a very dangerous situation. You go around everywhere, declaring yourself Not-the-messiah, it could be fun, I guess. But pretty soon, people will start taking you seriously, and not in the way you like. If you would’ve kept your trap shut, everyone would’ve known you’re not the messiah, but since you keep goin’ around and making people think you are, you’re about to run into some issues.”

“I’m telling people I’m not--”

“Not the messiah, I know, and the rate you’re going, everyone’s going to know within the year! But it’s like the classic example of Don’t think about elephants. If I tell you not to think about elephants, what are you going to think about? Elephants. Same idea here; you keep goin’ around and declaring yourself Not-the-messiah, and pretty soon, people will start thinking you are. I’m just warning you—shut your face right now, and avoid all these problems, or go all the way if you really want to use this to make a difference.”

“And for this year’s presidential race, we have a very unorthodox contestant!” The announcer for the Independents’ Presidential Debates was trying to hype up the crowd for the most unusual candidate this nation has ever seen. “Without political experience, without business experience, a man only famous for declaring himself as, and I am not making this up, ‘Not the messiah’, has reached high popularity by the American voters everywhere!”

Heart2Soul

Site Supporter
Sep 25, 2017
Tulsa
✟158,650.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The story was good and the plot interesting but the ending ruined it....you took a very well thought out message here and I was smiling and enjoying it...anticipating a well planned ending with a lesson that everyone could apply.... then you made it political.....I am so sick of politics....they are the most convenient vessels that the enemy promotes his agenda through and they are the most divisive tool ever created. Religion is there too but even religion tends to sound more like politics than it does about God. Well you have talent as a writer....maybe you should write a book!:)

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The story was good and the plot interesting but the ending ruined it....
Remember, that's just where I left off, not an actual ending. Change it if you wish, it would give me a grand sense of satisfaction to see people like my stories enough to write their own versions. (And do share, because I'd like to see what you had in mind!)

Have you ever seen the movie Being There ? It's a fantastic, hard-to-describe movie that features a very calm, very thoughtful gardener who knows almost nothing beyond the gardens he works in year-round and what he thinks as he's there be released into the world. I won't go into more detail to spare you spoilers, but that character is one of those characters that I just keep thinking about sometimes, and he was part of the inspiration for Not the messiah.

A lot of him also comes from Don Shimoda in Richard Bach's excellent book Illusions. His influence is more obvious, considering that Don is a kind of messiah. And the more comedic styling throughout is some influence from, of course, Douglas Adams.

And thank you for the compliments, they really made my day!

God be with you.

Reactions: forlovingHim
Upvote 0

forlovingHim

Oct 24, 2017
Muncie
✟18,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Celibate
Remember, that's just where I left off, not an actual ending. Change it if you wish, it would give me a grand sense of satisfaction to see people like my stories enough to write their own versions. (And do share, because I'd like to see what you had in mind!)

Have you ever seen the movie Being There ? It's a fantastic, hard-to-describe movie that features a very calm, very thoughtful gardener who knows almost nothing beyond the gardens he works in year-round and what he thinks as he's there be released into the world. I won't go into more detail to spare you spoilers, but that character is one of those characters that I just keep thinking about sometimes, and he was part of the inspiration for Not the messiah.

A lot of him also comes from Don Shimoda in Richard Bach's excellent book Illusions. His influence is more obvious, considering that Don is a kind of messiah. And the more comedic styling throughout is some influence from, of course, Douglas Adams.

And thank you for the compliments, they really made my day!

God be with you.

I actually really liked this story. It seems that you enjoy the creative process more than the end result (correct me, please, if I’m wrong). That is a rare thing. You mentioned ‘stories’; plural. I hope to see more of them on the forums. You have fresh perspective, and we all need that.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I actually really liked this story. It seems that you enjoy the creative process more than the end result (correct me, please, if I’m wrong). That is a rare thing. You mentioned ‘stories’; plural. I hope to see more of them on the forums. You have fresh perspective, and we all need that.
I suppose that's a good way to put it. I get frustrated if the end result isn't very good, but stories like this that I never put an ending to, I still enjoy if it's a fun process.

I've done a few stories of this style, where it's just throwing a few characters on the paper & following them around to see what happens. It's the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy idea, where you don't really need a central idea so much as you can just go on an adventure & see what happens.

Glad to see you enjoyed it! May God bless us all!

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I just added a bit more to the story. It was interesting to try to imagine how a guy like this would do a presidential candidacy speech, but I think this worked pretty well:

“And for this year’s presidential race, we have a very unorthodox contestant!” The announcer for the Independents’ Presidential Debates was trying to hype up the crowd for the most unusual candidate this nation has ever seen. “Without political experience, without business experience, a man only famous for declaring himself as, and I am not making this up, ‘Not the messiah’, has reached high popularity by the American voters everywhere!”

People cheered, the other candidates politely clapped, as everyone had different ideas about what they thought of this strange man.

After introducing the other members of this debate, the announcer turned it over to the candidates' opening speeches.

Not the messiah went first.

"Hello, everyone. Thank you for being here. As many of you know, or really, as all of you know, I am not the messiah, or a god of any kind."

A few people cheered, a few people booed. There was a distant cry of, "Get on with it!"

Not the messiah continued. "I've received very mixed opinions from people all across the nation. I've had hate mail, love letters, recommendations on policies, the occasional letter that has thought put into it, and some guy from Utah that sent me a coupon for a half-priced sandwich. Running for president has made this past week a lot more interesting, and I thank all of you for adding your contribution to make this experience interesting."

A few people clapped, but most of the audience was confused. Was this man thanking people who sent him hate mail? Was he really seeing his campaign as an 'interesting experience', a game of sorts?

He continued, maintaining a good politician's stage presence, with a gentle smile & subtle strength. "Soon, we and many others will begin debating policies--should we have gun control? What about the death penalty? And who can forget the debates over the crucial topic to the future of our nation--weed? But as we go through these debates, I want everyone to remember something: We all have the same goal."

The buzzer went off, signaling Not the messiah that his time was up. Undisturbed, he continued talking, and the moderator wasn't interested in cutting him off.

"All of us, alt-right or commie-left or just plain stupid, still have the same goal in mind: We want our nation to be as good as possible. We all want people to be fed, crime to go down, and the job market to be prosperous. We all want life, liberty, and the pursuit of this mysterious thing called happiness. We have vastly different ideas for how we attain this, but when you listen closely, everyone has the same goal: the best America we can be. Please remember this. Thank you."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

forlovingHim

Oct 24, 2017
Muncie
✟18,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Celibate
I just added a bit more to the story. It was interesting to try to imagine how a guy like this would do a presidential candidacy speech, but I think this worked pretty well:

People cheered, the other candidates politely clapped, as everyone had different ideas about what they thought of this strange man.

After introducing the other members of this debate, the announcer turned it over to the candidates' opening speeches.

Not the messiah went first.

"Hello, everyone. Thank you for being here. As many of you know, or really, as all of you know, I am not the messiah, or a god of any kind."

A few people cheered, a few people booed. There was a distant cry of, "Get on with it!"

Not the messiah continued. "I've received very mixed opinions from people all across the nation. I've had hate mail, love letters, recommendations on policies, the occasional letter that has thought put into it, and some guy from Utah that sent me a coupon for a half-priced sandwich. Running for president has made this past week a lot more interesting, and I thank all of you for adding your contribution to make this experience interesting."

A few people clapped, but most of the audience was confused. Was this man thanking people who sent him hate mail? Was he really seeing his campaign as an 'interesting experience', a game of sorts?

He continued, maintaining a good politician's stage presence, with a gentle smile & subtle strength. "Soon, we and many others will begin debating policies--should we have gun control? What about the death penalty? And who can forget the debates over the crucial topic to the future of our nation--weed? But as we go through these debates, I want everyone to remember something: We all have the same goal."

The buzzer went off, signaling Not the messiah that his time was up. Undisturbed, he continued talking, and the moderator wasn't interested in cutting him off.

"All of us, alt-right or commie-left or just plain stupid, still have the same goal in mind: We want our nation to be as good as possible. We all want people to be fed, crime to go down, and the job market to be prosperous. We all want life, liberty, and the pursuit of this mysterious thing called happiness. We have vastly different ideas for how we attain this, but when you listen closely, everyone has the same goal: the best America we can be. Please remember this. Thank you."

Your character is so dangerous, ha ha! There is a strange charisma here. I think, if I was to base my vote just on that speech (which would be a stupid move, of course) he would have my vote! :D

I’m so glad that you decided to continue it and I think that is actually a fantastic ending! Every reader loves to walk away feeling changed, and that’s what this short story did for me. Wouldn’t it be great if there was a ‘politician’ whose sole purpose in running for office was to remind us of why people *should* run for office (even if most or all are corrupt, the reminder of the ideal is good)? It’s enough to give food for thought for days! :) Thank you so much for finishing it! I really wanted to know what happened!! ^_^

-Sarah

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
There are several interesting scriptures that indicate that the man may be incorrect.......

perhaps Messiah Yeshua - Jesus wishes to rise up more and more and more and more within each of us until we are so much like him that we think, feel and behave like he did while he was human?????????

Zechariah 12:8 "In that day shall the LORD defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; and he that is feeble among them at that day shall be as David; and the house of David shall be as God, as the angel of the LORD before them."

John 14:12 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father."

If you are interested in a modern possible explanation for this I would suggest listening to The Call by Rick Joyner.

The Call by Pastor Rick Joyner?

Chapter ten, The Army... at the 2:26:40 is interesting.....

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Luk 7:28 "For I say unto you, Among those that are born of women there is not a greater prophet than John the Baptist: but he that is least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."

Matthew 11:11 "Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

You can rest assured that the idea of the disciples becoming greater and wiser than John the Baptist would probably blow their minds........ at the time that they were told this....

Upvote 0