Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Thanks for all your input guys. I was talking to a few people from my church, and my parents as well. They think it's my calling to do something about our youth group to make them more centered on God. I was thinking this was a really good idea. I don't know what to do though. Basically the kids that go to my youth group go because they're parents make them. It makes me really sad because there were kids using profanity the last time I was there. So basically...now my question is, What should I do to make my youth group better??? (I decided not to go by the way:))

A few questions.

Was your youth group ever a dynamic exciting place?

What did you like about the other one that you can bring to this one?

Are the priests supportive?

How much parental support is there?

What types of things do you do there?

Side thought you may want to make a new thread asking for suggestions for making your youth group better,that way you won't keep getting answers to the original post and a title like "how do I make my youth group better" may attract people with some experience in that area :)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I went to a local Methodist Church youth group for years, for my first three years of high school. It was the Church my Mom went to and it was next to my high school so a lot of kids from the community there. We actually had an agnostic on the bible quizzing team. If you are well versed in your faith and can have fun there go for it. Protestant communities are great at the emotional recharging we need sometimes for our faith. You can also share the catholic perspective with other Christians. Ummmm caution is needed but it might be a bit over stressed, you know where you are. You have a strong faith in Christ? Do you have a strong faith in His Church? If yes go for it.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
If you do not know your faith well- I would caution strongly against going.

The thing is feelings are not faith. The reality is at Mass you are actually physically and spiritually united with Jesus. There is no more closeness than Holy Communion. Whether or not you feel that- it is the reality.

Yes! Holy Mass is truly and absolutely the most awesome experience there is until we reach Heaven! :holy:

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Originally Posted by RoseofLima
"If you do not know your faith well- I would caution strongly against going.

The thing is feelings are not faith. The reality is at Mass you are actually physically and spiritually united with Jesus. There is no more closeness than Holy Communion. Whether or not you feel that- it is the reality."

No question about it, nothing is a substitute for mass, it is THE BODY OF CHRIST. but a youth group could be a fun suplemental

Upvote 0

geocajun

Priest of the holy smackrament
Dec 25, 2002
✟35,477.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
My best friend goes to a regular christian church and she invited me to go to her youth group. I decided to go and I had an awesome time! I felt really close to God there! The thing is I want to go back. I'm not going to stop being a Catholic or anything but at my church we really don't have youth group and what we do have everyone hates me there so my question is....Am I doing the wrong thing by going with her to youth group even though I'm still a Catholic??? Help please!!!

God Bless!:prayer:
cool, have fun! Just remember where you came from :)
Who knows, you could be a great witness of the catholic faith for them as you discuss your spirituality. Keep in mind you may find your faith challenged more than others will so it is doubly important for you to take care to learn your faith well and be able to speak intelligently (not emotionally) about it. Other than that, my only advice to you is to pray lots and enjoy yourself.

Upvote 0

salt_of_the_earth

Mar 7, 2006
✟8,083.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
CA-Liberals
My best friend goes to a regular christian church and she invited me to go to her youth group. I decided to go and I had an awesome time! I felt really close to God there! The thing is I want to go back. I'm not going to stop being a Catholic or anything but at my church we really don't have youth group and what we do have everyone hates me there so my question is....Am I doing the wrong thing by going with her to youth group even though I'm still a Catholic??? Help please!!!

God Bless!:prayer:
Honestly, there is 100% nothing wrong with going to Protestant churches or events. I go all the time. They are Christians too. You just have to remember that although they worship the same God as you, in the end their fundamental doctrines differ. I think its more than ok to go if you go there to worship God while remembering that they are lacking in some essentials. For example, the most important, the Eurcharist. As a Catholic you have the opportunity to partake in the holiest gift given to God's Children. Other than that, I even know many nuns who go to Protestant events. I don't think its a problem.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.