California
✟9,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My best friend goes to a regular christian church and she invited me to go to her youth group. I decided to go and I had an awesome time! I felt really close to God there! The thing is I want to go back. I'm not going to stop being a Catholic or anything but at my church we really don't have youth group and what we do have everyone hates me there so my question is....Am I doing the wrong thing by going with her to youth group even though I'm still a Catholic??? Help please!!!

God Bless!:prayer:

français

Atheist/CA-Bloc Québécois/US-Democrat
Oct 2, 2006
Montréal, Québec
✟21,764.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Bloc
when i was young, i would go to vacation bible school's, and go with my friends to youth groups of all kinds of denominations.

and during confirmation, different pastors from different denominations would come and talk to us about differences within denominations, and such, and our priest would do the same.

so i don't see a problem :)

Upvote 0

Keenan

Mar 5, 2007
Van
✟7,965.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I came back to Christianity through a protestant church and had more fun in the young adults group then at church. Now I attend mass and still spend Thursday nights with my protestant friends. It's a blast and I see nothing wrong with it. It draws us closer together. :)

Upvote 0

Assisi

not a sissy
Sep 7, 2006
Sydney
✟14,280.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Protestants are in general really nice people who love God passionately.:thumbsup: The youth group sounds like it was a lot of fun and very Christ centred, which are both good things.

And yet I'm still hesitant to say, 'sure, no problem'. I've been thinking about these past few minutes to try to work out why I'm hesitant and this is what I came up with...I think that the problem is that a lot of nonCatholic Christians have many misunderstandings about Catholic teachings. In my experience this means that they will try to talk to you about where Catholicism has 'gone wrong'. They do this as well meaning individuals who care for the salvation of your soul, but they are misinformed about the teachings of the Church. Before going along regularly, be very certain of all things Catholic. You will need to have answers to their questions and objections before they even say them.

Another draw back is that nonCatholics do not have the fullness of truth. You would need to be wary of any preaching/talks given because many protestants have fallen into error.

I guess I am worried that this youth group may make it more difficult for you to persevere in the Faith.

Upvote 0

SecretOfFatima

Our Lady of Fatima: Song of Solomon 6:10 (NIV)
Oct 21, 2005
Visit site
✟10,438.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My best friend goes to a regular christian church and she invited me to go to her youth group. I decided to go and I had an awesome time! I felt really close to God there! The thing is I want to go back. I'm not going to stop being a Catholic or anything but at my church we really don't have youth group and what we do have everyone hates me there so my question is....Am I doing the wrong thing by going with her to youth group even though I'm still a Catholic??? Help please!!!

Hi There,

A protestant friend of mine also keeps asking me to visit his church :) , but I always said no or just laughted it off, while whenever appropriate I give him some catholic stuff to read. I will never do such thing.

I think in your situation it may be quite diferent but you may be putting yourself into the firing line, and opening yourself to possible arguments, as some protestants as far as I understand have some issues with the catholic church and catholic believes, for example they may not undertstand matthew 16 in context of Isaiah 22 (scott hahn best describes this in his conversion material) Where Jesus give peter the Keys of the kingdom (Keys are a symbol of authority by itself), the other thing is how they may percept our Blessed Heavenly Mother.

The fact is that from an historic perspective protestants should know as much as we Catholics know about scriputures, but it seems to me as time goes by they may be brushing away more stuff in order to fit their believes, let give you some examples.

Bishop Fulton Sheen, used a protestant bible commentary whenever he done one of his so famous talks, the author of the commentaries was William Barclay, however since William passed away the same commentaries were republished but no longer contain the amount of stuff they originally had (this re-print took place around in the early 1970s), that was simple from a historic perspective, but if you want to see the kind of matterial he used then tune into the following online radio station
http://www.fultonsheen.com/

If you need to defend our Blessed Heavenly Mother then refer to the following page
http://www.scripturecatholic.com/blessed_virgin_mary.html

If you want to understand many other things about our Faith I would recommend you refer to someone called Scott Hahn (I find his stuff very easy to understand)
http://www.salvationhistory.com/bookstore/audioRsrcs.cfm

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

If you do not know your faith well- I would caution strongly against going.

The thing is feelings are not faith. The reality is at Mass you are actually physically and spiritually united with Jesus. There is no more closeness than Holy Communion. Whether or not you feel that- it is the reality.

If you know your faith well- then I think it can be a great asset to join other Christian youth. I also think that the experience of young people on fire for Christ is edifying.

My recommendation in the case that you know your faith well would be to participate- but also to work to start a youth group at your parish.

Reactions: QuantaCura
Upvote 0

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Just remember there is no substitute for the fullness of our worship liturgy.

i attend concerts and such that a re primarily protestent and I am strong enough to be able to know that that is all fun and yes there is a closeness to God there, but it isn't the event or the group that brings you closer to God, it is a personal thing between you and Him and it is the Holy Spirit working inside you. The Spirit is present at your church or in the woods or at a baseball game. It is you who, through your actions, bring It out.

The reason you feel so close to God there is you are doing something different that is atractive to you in God's glory. For example, you like music right? Well if you found the same type of music but was God centered, then you would feel closer to God in that circumstance.

No matter what, all those things are entertainment and for your satisfaction. Your church and your weekly worship is for His satisfaction. You are making Him happy by worshiping Him in fullness the way He wants it. Don't ever disappoint Him and move away from that.

Prayers for strength and love coming your way! :groupray:

Upvote 0

BAFRIEND

Feb 16, 2007
✟23,362.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

You have to view membership in the Catholic Church akin to marriage. So, if you are denying the Church by attending this, or giving the perception that the catholic Church is not the one, as you proclaim in the Apostle's Creed, then it is the sin of scandal and adultery.

Sorry if that seems harsh, what are the views of these folks towards Catholicism ?

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
If you do not know your faith well- I would caution strongly against going.

The thing is feelings are not faith. The reality is at Mass you are actually physically and spiritually united with Jesus. There is no more closeness than Holy Communion. Whether or not you feel that- it is the reality.

I can't help but agree.

And I'll tell you a true story. I knew a girl who was very active in our parish. She was particularly active in CCD, our VBS, choir, and CYO and considered a "strong" Catholic. So were her parents, and her brother was an altar server. Had a real nice Catholic boyfriend too. But then a friend of hers invited her to a youth group held at a Seventh Day Adventist church. The youth group was fun. (Besides, it's only "ecumenical".) She swore that she'd never desert Christ and His Church. Even said that she'd often be the only one to stand up for Catholics and that was what was needed. (Hmmm--Pride? The root of sin?) Whatever, she'd go regularly. And "rubbing shoulders" with pure anti-Catholicism took it's toll. (There is a saying--"When you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas.") She deserted The Eucharist and Jesus' Church. Married a minister who took her far away. Her family was devestated and broken. She'd send anti-Catholic material to her mother! At first wouldn't see her mother and father together at Mass anymore (hopefully they still went to Mass, just different Masses)--then point blank didn't see them at all. :cry:

Hope there will be a happy ending to this story and maybe she's only taking the "scenic route" back, but just don't know. But I know that I sure wouldn't want to "tempt fate" by putting my faith in jeopardy and I sure wouldn't recommend anyone doing so. (You know everyone thinks his or her faith is strong, but the enemy is stronger.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

5aret

Soldier of the Lord Jesus Christ
Jul 28, 2005
New York
✟9,061.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

I recommend that you don't go to this youth group until you are sure that you are strong in your faith, and even when you are be sure to feel free to leave whenever your faith is being tested in an uncomfertable way. I, myself wouldn't go at all and if you decide to go be strongly cautioned about the risks.

God Bless You,

5aret

Upvote 0

cmarie423

Momma of 3
Mar 18, 2007
California
✟9,906.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for all your input guys. I was talking to a few people from my church, and my parents as well. They think it's my calling to do something about our youth group to make them more centered on God. I was thinking this was a really good idea. I don't know what to do though. Basically the kids that go to my youth group go because they're parents make them. It makes me really sad because there were kids using profanity the last time I was there. So basically...now my question is, What should I do to make my youth group better??? (I decided not to go by the way:))

Upvote 0

stivvy

Senior Veteran
Jun 30, 2006
Hubbard, Ohio
✟21,764.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
ideas:

1.) ask permission to represent for the youth on the parish counsel
2.) in that copacity, work directly with the person in charge of the youth group in your parish
3.) then gather the youth and name the group around the name of the church. ie..Sts Peter and Paul church can be The Peter and Paul Champions for Christ
4.) make a set of self imposed rules to be called a Champion for Christ. Such as no swearing. Doing one good deed a day in the name of Christ.
5.) Pass out rings or a rubber wrist band (like the ones lance armstrong promotes for cancer survival) that each member promises to wear to remember they are one of a very important group.
6.) incorporate the sub group objectives in all your youth group meetings.
7.) get involved with the adult group activities in your church.
8.) Do something unique like Relay for Life in the name of your youth group
9.) Create a volunteer change in your church monthly like a church cleaning or something to help the church
10.) Get everyone active and keep them active by giving leadership roles in different activities to each member or at least an assisting position to a leader.

OK, that is my 10 point to a successful youth group.

Upvote 0

ce58

Aug 20, 2005
Colorado
✟9,888.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Let me warn you-- what you are embarking on is going to be a hard task. I know because I am currently trying to do the same thing. It's awesome though that you're willing to do what you think God is calling you to do! A big thing though is to pray and to really accept who ever comes to your youth group. Become active and help your youth minister. Show interest and plan some fun, larger events along with smaller, more focused events. Here to talk if you want, but you all ready knew that. <3 Celina

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for all your input guys. I was talking to a few people from my church, and my parents as well. They think it's my calling to do something about our youth group to make them more centered on God. I was thinking this was a really good idea. I don't know what to do though. Basically the kids that go to my youth group go because they're parents make them. It makes me really sad because there were kids using profanity the last time I was there. So basically...now my question is, What should I do to make my youth group better??? (I decided not to go by the way:))

After reading all the posts I am glad to hear of your choice. :thumbsup:

May God grant you the strength and guidance you need to make the youth group at your church better.

God Bless,

Jack

Upvote 0

DedicatedLittleFaith

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2006
Quebec,Canada
Visit site
✟28,906.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
ideas:

1.) ask permission to represent for the youth on the parish counsel
2.) in that copacity, work directly with the person in charge of the youth group in your parish
3.) then gather the youth and name the group around the name of the church. ie..Sts Peter and Paul church can be The Peter and Paul Champions for Christ
4.) make a set of self imposed rules to be called a Champion for Christ. Such as no swearing. Doing one good deed a day in the name of Christ.
5.) Pass out rings or a rubber wrist band (like the ones lance armstrong promotes for cancer survival) that each member promises to wear to remember they are one of a very important group.
6.) incorporate the sub group objectives in all your youth group meetings.
7.) get involved with the adult group activities in your church.
8.) Do something unique like Relay for Life in the name of your youth group
9.) Create a volunteer change in your church monthly like a church cleaning or something to help the church
10.) Get everyone active and keep them active by giving leadership roles in different activities to each member or at least an assisting position to a leader.

OK, that is my 10 point to a successful youth group.

Exactly what he said :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How strong is your faith and how well do you know Catholicism??

If you know it well, and have no doubts about your faith...and you might even convert any who try to convert you, then it might be ok.

If you are young, and have much to learn, they could be a stumbling block at this time.

Always be sure of what your Church believes before you have others tell you in error what they think it believes.

God Bless

Upvote 0

hawko

Aug 29, 2006
✟9,246.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I see nothing wrong with fellowship with other christians. There are a few people that I work with whom I have occasional Christian fellowship with. You must however, be strong in your own faith and catholic beliefs, since it is not uncommon for well meaning christians of other denominations to "catholic bash". Many times it is done out of pure ignorance, and other times, it is a direct attack against our faith and beliefs. When I share with my protestant froends, I try to keep the conversation centered on what we have in common, not our differences. If you are really blessed by attending your friend's youth group, why not suggest the same thing to your pastor. If there is enough interest among the youth of your own parrish, maybe he would start one there. Also, pray that this will become a reality in your own church.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.