Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,059.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't believe God would do such a thing.
But if the OP - who hasn't been back to this thread does, he must do it.
God asked Abraham to sacrifice his own son. Reading Scripture is a breeze compared to that.

He said God asked him to do this. That's a pretty specific thing to ask and I'd not question God if told to do this.
Three chapters every hour. He wouldn’t get uninterrupted sleep for more than 50 minutes. Which means severe sleep cycle disruption.

Is it known that ANYONE else ever was asked by God to do exactly this? Even the monks who got up in the middle of the night to pray got more than three hours uninterrupted sleep at a time.

I’m thinking it was not God that told him this.
I'm thinking that it's not my place to tell this guy what God told him to do. God told Abraham to sacrifice his own son. Reading scripture is easy compared to that.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God asked Abraham to sacrifice his own son.
Yet he didn't actually want him to do that.
Reading Scripture is fine, and something we all need to do. But 3 chapters an hour, every hour - and knowing that the OP hates it and is doing it only reluctantly? What would that benefit anyone?
I'm sure the OP only meant "every hour during the hours of daylight", though he didn't say that. But even so, that's roughly 36 chapters of Scripture every day!
He said God asked him to do this.
Yes, and some of us are questioning if God would demand that of someone.
God doesn't demand that we be saved or follow him - Jesus allowed people to leave if they wished. Neither does God force people to receive his Spirit. Why would he make someone do something which they "absolutely can't stand"? And how would rushing through 3 chapters of Scripture, without any time to reflect, understand, meditate, pray, benefit the OP?
If each Psalm is being counted as a chapter, Psalm 117 is 2 verses; Psalm 119 is 176 - he might finish the 3 Psalms within the hour. Other chapters could maybe be read in 20 minutes - but that would only leave 40 minutes, for meals, work, leisure, meetings etc at before having to start the next hour.
God's not unreasonable.
That's a pretty specific thing to ask and I'd not question God if told to do this.
I'd want to be sure it WAS God.

Challenging someone to read more of his word, and that person deciding they will do 3 chapters a day - fine. Instructing someone to read 3 chapters every hour?
What happens if a chapter division - man made, by the way, these weren't in the original - comes in the middle of a passage? I can't find an example now, but I'm sure there are some.

• Winner
Reactions: rebornfree
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,059.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Yet he didn't actually want him to do that.
Reading Scripture is fine, and something we all need to do. But 3 chapters an hour, every hour - and knowing that the OP hates it and is doing it only reluctantly? What would that benefit anyone?
I'm sure the OP only meant "every hour during the hours of daylight", though he didn't say that. But even so, that's roughly 36 chapters of Scripture every day!

Yes, and some of us are questioning if God would demand that of someone.
God doesn't demand that we be saved or follow him - Jesus allowed people to leave if they wished. Neither does God force people to receive his Spirit. Why would he make someone do something which they "absolutely can't stand"? And how would rushing through 3 chapters of Scripture, without any time to reflect, understand, meditate, pray, benefit the OP?
If each Psalm is being counted as a chapter, Psalm 117 is 2 verses; Psalm 119 is 176 - he might finish the 3 Psalms within the hour. Other chapters could maybe be read in 20 minutes - but that would only leave 40 minutes, for meals, work, leisure, meetings etc at before having to start the next hour.
God's not unreasonable.

I'd want to be sure it WAS God.

Challenging someone to read more of his word, and that person deciding they will do 3 chapters a day - fine. Instructing someone to read 3 chapters every hour?
What happens if a chapter division - man made, by the way, these weren't in the original - comes in the middle of a passage? I can't find an example now, but I'm sure there are some.
God asked Abraham to do what most of us would find impossible to do. Most would walk away from a spiritual being that be so cruel but God was testing Abraham's faith. Abraham's faith was rewarded by a great blessing. How are we to know how God might bless this guy for being obedient. It's not our place to tell him to disobey what he says God told him to do.

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God asked Abraham to do what most of us would find impossible to do. Most would walk away from a spiritual being that be so cruel but God was testing Abraham's faith. Abraham's faith was rewarded by a great blessing. How are we to know how God might bless this guy for being obedient.
We don't.
But I, and others, were just asking if this person was sure that it was GOD who was telling him to do that. Supposing it wasn't? This person HATES reading God's word and, even when they reluctantly begin, find that the feelings get worse. It's not impossible that the devil - who has come to steal and destroy - is trying to turn this person away from the word, and therefore God, by producing feelings of hatred whenever he gets down to reading the Bible.
And you're missing the point about 3 chapters an hour EVERY hour. Such a reading scheme would give this man almost no time for himself. How is he supposed to eat, work, care for his family if all his time is taken up doing something that he can't stand doing? How is reading Scripture, through gritted teeth and with, almost, hatred in his heart going to benefit him and bring him closer to God?

And why would a God of love force someone to do something that he knows they hate?
I'm not talking about a test of faith, being out of your comfort zone, finding something tough and needing to trust in God's strength and love. I'm talking about someone who hates what they are doing and is only doing it because they have made a bargain, or agreement, with God.

At the very least, it seems a strange relationship when God has created, saved, blessed and loves this man - and his response is "I can't stand to read your word. When I try, I lose it and hate what I am doing."
It's not our place to tell him to disobey what he says God told him to do.
No, it isn't.
And if he were to come back onto this forum and say "I've read, and thought about, all your replies, but this is 100% from God and I'll just live with the fact that I have to do something which I hate", then I'd be the first to back off and say, "well in that case, you have no choice. In fact, you shouldn't even be complaining that you don't want to do it - just get on with it."
But he hasn't said any such thing - even though others have suggested psychiatric help or that he needs to discern the spirits.

I am pretty sure that if this person had a child and said to them, "you need to read my family history/favourite book for 3 hours EVERY hour" and the child hated doing it; they wouldn't force the issue.
God is love; "love does not dishonour others and is not self seeking" 1 Corinthians 13:5. He is also a perfect heavenly Father who does not give his children stones when they need/ask for bread.

Upvote 0

Terri Dactyl

Aug 27, 2022
Midwest
✟47,550.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Celibate
One chapter a day should suffice., esp if you really read it. Sometimes if you savor the words, you will learn a great deal more.

God would never ask for 3 chapters every hour. the Bible is full of wisdom, but glancing over it will not help. It needs to be read and digested, and accompanied with prayer.

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,962.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I recommend finding a good One Year Bible in a translation that you most like and set aside about 10 minutes a day to read it.
I love to read and study, though, so I guess I don't see it as a chore.
Either first thing in the morning or at night before bed, whenever you think that would be easier.
Maybe replace something else you are doing for 10 or 15 minutes with Bible reading such as watching TV or scrolling though social media?
It takes discipline but I really have gotten so much out of it.
I also recommend a study Bible.

Upvote 0