I’ve cheated on my spouse and have confessed to God but not my spouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Yes. But Christianity is a great big reconciliation machine. Not a condemnation machine. You know you did wrong. It's going to be a bear to fix. But the goal is not to leave you condemned. It's to reconcile you to Christ, to your wife, to everyone you have hurt.
The wife doesn't have to reconcile with someone who betrayed her in such a way. I could only imagine how humiliated she's going to feel when OP confesses to her.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Hello, all. I have been dealing with infidelity for a while now. My wife doesn’t know about it, but I have told God and a close friend that is a pastor. I’m struggling with the fact if I should tell my wife, or should I keep going? I love my wife, and she’s incredible. I just don’t feel right keeping her in this marriage, knowing I haven’t been faithful. Is that guilt? Should I confess to her even though she doesn’t know and I have confessed to God, a pastor, and I’m in therapy. I need help!
Tell her. Some very well known ministers have had affairs. One testified publicly that God would not let him preach until he confessed. His marriage survived. It's better to come clean and face the consequences than to live a lie. And its better if you confess rather than it come out in the open another way, as happened with David and Bathsheba.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The wife doesn't have to reconcile with someone who betrayed her in such a way. I could only imagine how humiliated she's going to feel when OP confesses to her.
Nobody HAS TO reconcile with anybody. It's OPTIONAL. Jesus had something to say about being forgiven in the same manner as we forgive others. But it's optional. She doesn't have to.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Nobody HAS TO reconcile with anybody. It's OPTIONAL. Jesus had something to say about being forgiven in the same manner as we forgive others. But it's optional. She doesn't have to.
Yup. Exactly right. She is within her rights to leave someone who betrayed their marriage.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Yup. Exactly right. She is within her rights to leave someone who betrayed their marriage.
That's like the new Xi Chinese version of the woman caught in adultery. Jesus argues that she should be stoned, and she is.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,214.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That's like the new Xi Chinese version of the woman caught in adultery. Jesus argues that she should be stoned, and she is.
Do you believe we have to reconcile with cheaters who abuse their partner's trust?

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟71,510.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your opinion. I’m not perfect, nor am I blaming anyone but myself. Totally aware of what I’ve done and I’m not proud of it. And I’m aware of what anyone else would do in this situation.
I understand your still struggle but for some reason can't quit the problematic behaviour. The therapy would be good but in the meantime:

Every time you find yourself on the brink of falling again just think of what might happen if you give in:
  • make the lie to your wife grow / endangering your marriage
  • causing spiritual death - alienation from God
  • causing health risks
  • causing harm to kids when you split eventually
In other words: allowing yourself to sin causes death and suffering on all fronts - it's not worth it. Keep that right in front of you all the time. And avoid any situations/places/people where you know you will encounter temptation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Do you believe we have to reconcile with cheaters who abuse their partner's trust?
We don't have to reconcile with ANYBODY. God did not have to reconcile with us either. But that's His plan, which involved considerable pain and agony for Jesus. It's the canonical woman caught in adultery vs the Xi version of the story. Jesus could have said she was caught in the act and the rules are clear so stone her to death. Jesus could have thrown the first stone. He would have been totally right to do so.

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, all. I have been dealing with infidelity for a while now. My wife doesn’t know about it, but I have told God and a close friend that is a pastor. I’m struggling with the fact if I should tell my wife, or should I keep going? I love my wife, and she’s incredible. I just don’t feel right keeping her in this marriage, knowing I haven’t been faithful. Is that guilt? Should I confess to her even though she doesn’t know and I have confessed to God, a pastor, and I’m in therapy. I need help!
Hi Anonymously,

It's great that you are recognizing a prompting by the Holy Spirit, which likely caused you to post on this site. I'm sorry for the reason that brought you here.

Yes, you need to tell your wife, immediately. Don't put it off for another minute.

Affairs are addictions. MRI scans on people addicted on various substances (alcohol, food, gaming, etc.) show the identical brain patterns for all addictions. You might as well be addicted to cocaine. In order to remove the addiction, you need to remove yourself from the substance and make it impossible for you to access it again.

Marriages that have the highest likelihood of surviving affairs follow these steps:

a) exposure to the betrayed spouse
b) the betrayed spouse exposes the affair to literally everyone that cares about you, asking them to help you choose your marriage. Whoof, I know that's going to be a gauntlet for you, but without this step, marriages struggle to survive after affairs.
c) Exposure to the affair partner's spouse and family.

What happens when a/b/c is carried out, is you see your affair as through the eyes of others. By the posts you have made in this thread, it's obvious you're still in the fog of an affair, still self serving, still disregarding your wife. The actions in a/b/c will divest you of your fog and after some time, you will be able to see what I'm seeing in your posts here, and you will be very disgusted with yourself. That's ok. It's good to be disgusted with yourself having an affair - and is necessary for the recovery of your marriage.

Next, you need to offer your wife just compensation for your affair. This is not a mink coat or a Cybertruck for a bribe, but instead it's offering her certainty that she will NEVER have to live through something as painful as discovering an affair of yours again. Your compensation to her is:
a) fully open digital devices - all of them.
b) sending a letter to your affair partner that you never want to talk to them again in your life because you love your wife and are ending the affair (your wife gets to post this letter in the mail to ensure it is sent).
c) you block the affair partner (AP) from every device and account you have. You remove yourself from social media so there is no possibility of her contacting you.
d) You make arrangements to NEVER see the AP again in your life. If she is in your hometown, you & your wife move far away where your wife will never be triggered with the worry that you encountered her inadvertently in your day.

This is HARD work. I totally get it. But marriages who do not go through these steps generally limp along in pain, suffering and triggers upon triggers to the betrayed spouse and eventually collapse anyway. Spare yourself this long, painful and failing process and just follow the steps that are most likely to secure a successful outcome.

Again, I'm very sorry for the reasons you came to make this post. Your poor boundaries caused you to incrementally develop and feed an addiction to this person. You need to set boundaries with the opposite sex so this never happens again.

Prayers for your wife, and prayers for your marriage. Prayers for your strength to provide the best recovery path ^^ for your wife.

If you don't do this, my sisterly advice to you would be to confess the affair and offer a divorce. Under no circumstances should you deny your wife the truth about her life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.