Hypothetical - If you could be born anywhere...

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I've always been intrigued by the Cayman Islands. Beautiful beaches, relaxed lifestyle, mild climate, and the highest standard of living in the Caribbean. Downside is high COL, and major hurricane risk. But no income, social security, VAT, property, or estate taxes. And the world's best conch fritters and rum cake. :thumbsup:

cayman_beach-lates_1217124c.jpg

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Norway, Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, New Zealand. Then maybe Canada. Possibly Switzerland or Austria. Somewhere where the most vulnerable members of society are treated right. And I'd give the same answer if I was being born into one of the richest families.

Point of order, New Zealand isn't a real country.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
New Zealand is to Australia as Quebec is to Canada. They like to pretend they're real countries, but they aren't.

I'm not sure where you get that idea from, but you're mistaken. Quebec is a province of Canada; New Zealand is a country in its own right.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure where you get that idea from, but you're mistaken. Quebec is a province of Canada; New Zealand is a country in its own right.

Nah. You've been listening to hobbits again. Well established international legal principle, if your football team is more offencive capability than your airforce, you're not a real country.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Nah. You've been listening to hobbits again. Well established international legal principle, if your football team is more offencive capability than your airforce, you're not a real country.

Well by that criteria, Australia must be the most real country in history.

Upvote 0
A

applepowerpc

As it is now, I've accepted Christ and I'm going to Heaven. I think I'm just fine being born where I am now. I could have been born lots of places in the world and never known Christ. I could have been born in the Tudor household and enjoyed a lavish lifestyle--and died as the rich man who did not "need" Christ. As it is now, the United States' standard of living is in the top 6% of the world. The poorest of families here have access to food pantries, churches, and charitable organizations everywhere.

If I could choose where I was born.... thank God I didn't.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you could be born anywhere in today's world, in any of the world's current countries, where would you choose to be born?

One caveat: wherever you are born, you will be born to the poorest of families in that country.
I would choose the USA because I believe the poor have a much better chance of digging their way out of poverty and improving their financial status.

Ken

Reactions: Kalevalatar
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Suomipoika

Vito Corleone
Dec 3, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
✟23,288.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

marshlewis

Apr 13, 2004
✟3,955.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

Suomipoika

Vito Corleone
Dec 3, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
✟23,288.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
That graph is designed to deflect the very conclusion the data implies. just a summation title would solve this. e.g 'which country are you least likely to go from rags to riches'.

True enough.

Just thought that since it was copy-pasted from the same article that I linked, and since it was from *Wikipedia* after all, it would somehow be obvious :p

Btw, since you brought up the "rags to riches" phrase: personally I don't quite get it why "rags to riches" is somehow supposed to be the ideal, instead of, say, "rags to a reasonably good standard of living".

What's the whole point of a culture glorifying the dreams of an individual getting "rich"? Personally I feel that if I somehow ended up living in a "gated community", my life would have been a miserable failure. :D

Reactions: KarateCowboy
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Where do you get that idea from? From the real world or from American mythology?

Social mobility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Intergenerational_mobility_graph-1.jpg
That's just the way I see it. I am not an expert on every country in the world but I don't think it is a coincidence that even though the USA makes up less than 5% of the worlds population we have nearly half of the worlds millioniares. I think it is because for those who want fortune, there is more opportunity to atain it here.

K

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Btw, since you brought up the "rags to riches" phrase: personally I don't quite get it why "rags to riches" is somehow supposed to be the ideal, instead of, say, "rags to a reasonably good standard of living".
Most people rarely get everything they want. If you aim for 100, you might get 50. If you aim to get rich, you might get a reasonably good standard of living.
What's the whole point of a culture glorifying the dreams of an individual getting "rich"?
Most people would like to be rich.
Personally I feel that if I somehow ended up living in a "gated community", my life would have been a miserable failure. :D
You are a rare individual. Most people would prefer to have more than they have. My guess is, you don't know what it is like to be poor.

Ken

Upvote 0