How would a nuclear war between Russia and the US affect you?

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It would be foolish to think anyone would survive for very long.

"The more people who know about nuclear war, the less likely they will start one."

Unless you have someone like Putin, Trump, or Kim Jong Un. It only takes one.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Simulation and Explanation Youtube 4:08
Depends if it is an all out thing with thousands of detonations or if they call it all of after about ten or twenty detonations. It takes just one guy not thinking rationally and we can all go home. One Putin, one Biden, one Trump, one Xi, any one guy with a large arsenal and a even moderately twisted mind.

I'm not confident that it would be a limited exchange. Maybe, but I'm not confident. The idea of shooting off missiles before their bunkers are vaporized will be too strong to resist. So bunkers in Nebraska and Colorado and Montana would be blasted with hundreds of ground burst missiles and the same for Russian and Chinese and Iranian and North Korean bunkers. Use 'em or lose 'em.

With a very limited exchange life would be a mess. Some of the first to detonate would likely be the EMP weapons in the high atmosphere. Not much fallout. Not much ground damage but transistors in a huge area would fry. Most things would stop working. People would starve by the millions. Likely no electricity, maybe no city water, likely no natural gas, who knows about trash pickup. Cities could become disfunctional, way worse than in 2020. Just a few of EMP nukes could kill half the US population in a few short years.

In a major exchange I'm cooked. A nearby AFB gets a ground burst. The civilian airport gets one too. And the airport in the capital city. For good measure a military antenna farm gets a ground burst too to melt the antennae. And a major transcontinental railroad yard that a major interstate crosses. The shock waves and firestorms would destroy my house a few times over. Then out west the nuclear silos get blasted by a few hundred hits over several days, with fallout dropping on what might be left of my foundation. I'll be dead. I won't even make it to being a hungry displaced person. For me it will be over in minutes to hours, maybe with excruciating pain from radiation sickness, maybe with rapid incineration.

I lived through the terror of the 1950's and 1960's and 1970's. I did the 'Duck and Cover' drills. I was around for atmospheric testing of the bombs until Kennedy curtailed that. I have memories of the Cuban Missile Crisis, where Kruschev blinked. I was involved in the Nuclear Freeze movement. And then finally the Soviet Union fell apart and we didn't have to fear the missiles any more.

But the craziness has returned. Putin is playing nuclear hardball. Biden is lost in a fog. Xi wants Taiwan and will take it. Kim will do whatever he wants. Iran wants to smoke Israel. This is as bad or worse than in the 1960's. And I'm not sure there are enough well placed cool heads to defuse it all. In one hour it could be a different world.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I just trust God about that.

If you can kill people by setting off bombs up in the air, then different "sides" could suffer that. And what can anyone do? Your side's military could be moving in on useless territory while the other side is moving in on your useless territory, or both sides are dealing with mainly their own areas.

And possibly, whoever starts it needs to be willing to stay in a bomb shelter for the rest of his or her life, since bombs could poison the earth with radiation that does not go away for quite a while.

But Jesus says there will be wars and rumors of wars, but that won't be the end. To me, this means God already knows what will happen.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I just trust God about that.
The only real solution.
If you can kill people by setting off bombs up in the air, then different "sides" could suffer that. And what can anyone do? Your side's military could be moving in on useless territory while the other side is moving in on your useless territory, or both sides are dealing with mainly their own areas.
Conquering bombed out areas seems kind of dumb.
And possibly, whoever starts it needs to be willing to stay in a bomb shelter for the rest of his or her life, since bombs could poison the earth with radiation that does not go away for quite a while.
Most fallout radiation will decay significantly in two weeks. Cesium 137 is an outlier here with a half life of 30 years. But Iodine 131 has a half life of only a week and many odd thing that will be created have half lives of minutes or hours or days. Almost irrelevant in six months. Almost. But the smoke and ash will stay in the upper atmosphere for a long time, causing temperatures to drop and crops to fail and people to starve. The other thing that will cause people to starve are the EMP frying circuit boards we depend on for almost everything, and the destruction of bridges and rails and markets. Riots first when the hunger comes and then starvation.
But Jesus says there will be wars and rumors of wars, but that won't be the end. To me, this means God already knows what will happen.
I think we can prepare for a very limited nuclear exchange. There is no way to prepare for more than that unless you are filthy rich and have a bunker you would be happy to be left behind in. I'd rather, if God will have me, to go like Elijah.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Is this a real question? ....For those of us who have grown up during the Cold War Era, we don't have to ask. :redcard:
It would mess up my morning.

Upvote 0

helmut

Nov 26, 2007
Berlin
✟73,165.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Simulation and Explanation Youtube 4:08
The »nuclear winter« that is to be expected after such a war will ruin Europe, and therefore my country. On top of this, there would be radioactive pollution all over the earth, especially in the northern hemisphere.

And now I see the video author knows about nuclear winter. I remember the day when I formed the sentence: The US would not survive a preemptive soviet nuclear attack against China. This is not only true for a full-scale nuclear war, but also for a somewhat limited attack. There may be more survivors (especially in the southern hemisphere)if the war is limited, but only a very small nuclear war (say, between Israel and Iran) will not ruin my life (though I expect some heavy impacts from that even in such a case).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

helmut

Nov 26, 2007
Berlin
✟73,165.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Likely no electricity, maybe no city water, likely no natural gas, who knows about trash pickup.
Without electricy, mot cities will have no water, because the pumps will stop working.
But the craziness has returned. Putin is playing nuclear hardball. Biden is lost in a fog. Xi wants Taiwan and will take it. Kim will do whatever he wants. Iran wants to smoke Israel. This is as bad or worse than in the 1960's. And I'm not sure there are enough well placed cool heads to defuse it all.
Putin, Biden, and Xi are too rational to start a nuclear war. As to Kim or the Mullah regime, I'm less confident. And the way Trump harassed North Korea could cause a major nuclear war if he takes such languages on Xi (Putin is his friend, therefore the risk of a major war with Russia is minor).

Putin's rhetoric is not helpful also …
In one hour it could be a different world.
Revelation 18:17

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Without electricy, mot cities will have no water, because the pumps will stop working.

Putin, Biden, and Xi are too rational to start a nuclear war. As to Kim or the Mullah regime, I'm less confident. And the way Trump harassed North Korea could cause a major nuclear war if he takes such languages on Xi (Putin is his friend, therefore the risk of a major war with Russia is minor).

Putin's rhetoric is not helpful also …

Revelation 18:17
The scary thing is Frances President Macron is chanting boots on the ground in Ukraine, and Putin has openly stated this would be the beginning of World War III, and the Nuclear arsenals

Do you think the western countries should put soldiers in Ukraine, do you think Putin is bluffing?

Upvote 0

helmut

Nov 26, 2007
Berlin
✟73,165.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The scary thing is Frances President Macron is chanting boots on the ground in Ukraine, and Putin has openly stated this would be the beginning of World War III, and the Nuclear arsenals

Do you think the western countries should put soldiers in Ukraine, do you think Putin is bluffing?
There is bluffing on both sides. Putin has been bluffing all the times - there were a dozen or so red lines the West did not respect, according to what Putin said since February 2022, WW III should have started several times by now …
Macron is bluffing, too. In times of war, or if you try to deter the other side, you should avoid to be calculable.

Putin seems to wait until Trump is president (there will be some coup from Moscow, like the Hillary email gate in 2016, too help Trump to be elected), and when the US aid for Ukraine comes to a standstill, and Western Europe is unable to fill the gab, he will win the war. If I were US citizen, I would prefer a »sl***y Joe« with good advisors to a friend of Putin!

If the Ukraine front will collapse, there is the option to march into Western Ukraine to keep at least some part of the state as a free country. Then Putin would have to decide whether he attacks the Western Ukraine or just stops where the French (?) soldiers stopped. A direct fight between NATO and Russia would be no good idea for any side, lest the war gets nuclear in reality.

Another in-between option would be troops that are officially »unknown«, like the soldiers that conquered the Crimea for Russia in 2014.

It is a good idea to give a signal to Putin we are not that calculable as he wants us to be. So I disagree with Chancellor Scholz and agree with Macron (and I assume Macron is as rational as Putin).

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is a good idea to give a signal to Putin we are not that calculable as he wants us to be. So I disagree with Chancellor Scholz and agree with Macron (and I assume Macron is as rational as Putin).
Macron is still chanting French boots on the ground in Ukraine, you agree with that?

Upvote 0

helmut

Nov 26, 2007
Berlin
✟73,165.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Macron is still chanting French boots on the ground in Ukraine, you agree with that?
AFAIK Macron did not chant, but used normal non-musical speech.

I explained the reasons behind his statements (I may be wrong in that, but this is what I think) and that I agree in principle. I also mentioned scenarios where I think »boots« are an option (at least one to deter Putin), and the one I don't want.

In short: I don't agree to any kind of boots, but I agree to some kinds of boots - and i agree that being too specific in announcements is no good idea.

Very short: Neither yes nor no.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

guyver

Dec 9, 2021
victoria
✟92,421.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Russia has boots on the ground in Ukraine - why not someone else?
World War III and Nuclear War

Putin isn't going to allow a western puppet president in Ukraine, with his naval base is in Crimea and NATO isn't going to put missile bases 300 miles from Moscow?

Ain't gonna happen, this is it and it could very well lead to all out nuclear war

Upvote 0

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,157.00
Faith
Christian
World War III and Nuclear War

Putin isn't going to allow a western puppet president in Ukraine, with his naval base is in Crimea and NATO isn't going to put missile bases 300 miles from Moscow?

Well a Russian puppet government in Ukraine would be worse, so....

Upvote 0

Truth7t7

Dec 20, 2012
✟92,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well a Russian puppet government in Ukraine would be worse, so....
It's going to be a Russian puppet government like it or not, the US and western world isn't going to control Ukraine, it will be World War III with a high probability of nuclear war, and if that's what the west wants so be it, a scary dangerous situation

Upvote 0