Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I was reading The Truth of Our Faith, by Elder Cleopa, and was rather surprised by the chapter on the Thousand Year Reign, and what the Orthodox believe to be the proper interperatation of Revelations. I've heard the Evangelical way of reading it for so long, that a raptureless view had never occoured to me.

Could someone please tell me where I might find more information on the Orthodox interperitation of Revelations?

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
xristos.anesti said:
Orthodox New Testament (volume 2)
and
Orthodox Study Bible.

But these are not online... I think.
I would like to get one sometime, though I prefer the Bible all in one book. Which is better?

Do you know of any articles on this subject?

Upvote 0

xristos.anesti

Veteran
Jul 2, 2005
✟10,525.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Llauralin, I have just finished both of the commentaries of the Revelation. And to tell you the truth, fathers are not as "dramamtic" in Revelation as some protestant teachers (especially the Adventists and JW and such "time predicting groups").

I did study revelation a lot before I became Orthodox, and it was for a time my life... but now, I just, do not read it as much.

As far as Orthodox commentary apart of ONT and OSB, I really do not know.

As far as Bible in one is concerned, I use Septuagint for OT and 5 or 6 NT versions so... Shoot me.. I can't make up my mind. LOL

Devin: there is a copy of Elder Cleopas Article on Chiliasm on http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/ec_thousandyearreign.aspx

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ioan cel Nou

Jul 15, 2005
Barnsley, UK
✟16,378.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
88Devin07,

If you're interested in both the OSB and the Septuagint, you might be best off waiting for the complete OSB to come out (which is supposedly soon) as it will contain a new translation of the Septuagint. There aren't currently any good English translations that I'm aware of.

With regards to Elder Cleopa's works in Romanian (and specifically the sfaturiortodoxe site), if you're interested in reading shorter articles that aren't translated or that are but badly (some of the English translations read like Romanian put through an internet translation site - the Romanian would probably be clearer!) then give me a shout. I'll be happy to have a go at translating them into English (my Romanian's pretty fluent) just don't expect anything instant as it will take me some time to translate around my work schedule.

James

Upvote 0
K

Kolya

jmbejdl said:
With regards to Elder Cleopa's works in Romanian (and specifically the sfaturiortodoxe site), if you're interested in reading shorter articles that aren't translated or that are but badly (some of the English translations read like Romanian put through an internet translation site - the Romanian would probably be clearer!) then give me a shout. I'll be happy to have a go at translating them into English (my Romanian's pretty fluent) just don't expect anything instant as it will take me some time to translate around my work schedule.
James

James and Devin, some of Fr Cleopa' works in English are here.
(Just for the record;) )

Upvote 0

Ioan cel Nou

Jul 15, 2005
Barnsley, UK
✟16,378.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Conservative
Kolya said:
James and Devin, some of Fr Cleopa' works in English are here.
(Just for the record;) )

Oh, I know. I'm very familiar with the site, but some of the 'translations' on it are absolutely appalling. Even the translation of Sfaturi Ortodoxe as 'Orthodox Advices' sounds like someone with a comical Romanian accent - the sort of person who once (I am not joking) spelt my name 'Geimz'. Luckily the Elder Cleopa translations are reasonable.

Try reading some of the articles by Hieromonk Savatie Bastovoi, though. Unless I read them with an exaggerated accent (saying things like kyet instead of cat) and pretend that I'm listening to a Romanian friend, I often can't make head or tale of them - again, I am not joking. One should never translate in a direction other than from second to mother tongue or that's what you get - foreign idiom rendered word for word in English. It's just not readable.

James

Upvote 0

Llauralin

Senior Veteran
Mar 23, 2005
Prizren, Kosova
✟10,831.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
jmbejdl said:
If you're interested in both the OSB and the Septuagint, you might be best off waiting for the complete OSB to come out (which is supposedly soon) as it will contain a new translation of the Septuagint. There aren't currently any good English translations that I'm aware of.
Before I read, I had just ordered the NT study Bible; I guess it's too late now (so siad Amazon). Oh well.

BTW, when is the new translation of the Septuagint coming out? I was at their website, and it said sometime this month, but apperently hadn't been updated in years.

Upvote 0
K

Kolya

Llauralin said:
Before I read, I had just ordered the NT study Bible; I guess it's too late now (so siad Amazon). Oh well.

BTW, when is the new translation of the Septuagint coming out? I was at their website, and it said sometime this month, but apperently hadn't been updated in years.

Someone on this forum (O-USA or Forgivensinner, I'm not quite sure who) goes to the same church as the Nephew of one of the main translators. He's reported that the gentleman is ill and has not been able to work on the project for a while. So that is what's holding it up. That and funding basically as I understand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,184,821.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
jmbejdl said:
I'll be happy to have a go at translating them into English (my Romanian's pretty fluent) just don't expect anything instant as it will take me some time to translate around my work schedule.
You may not know, but the book "The Truth of Our Faith" was translated into English from the Greek translation of the Romanian as will be the second volume which my wife is currently translating (though Fr Peter Heers will be doing the final editing). My wife might appreciate you having a look at what she has translated so far since the Greek is sometimes less than clear. If you think you could spare some time, PM me your email address and I'll ask my wife.

John

Upvote 0

Julio

Dec 21, 2004
✟8,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Not only is this a work of the highest spiritual quality, as one would expect from anything penned by the ever-memorable Archbishop Averky of Jordanville, but it is also very good as a work of reference. It is not an exhaustive commentary, of course--I own critical commentaries on Revelation in excess of a thousand pages, and this one barely reaches three hundred! But this small book will teach its readers something far more important than any of the larger critical works will: a Christ-centered, wholistic approach to Revelation as Holy Writ which is both sober and spiritually oriented. Also, Fr Seraphim Rose's brief introduction is in itself a jewel. I wholeheartedly recommend it!

Upvote 0

Marjorie

Senior Veteran
Sep 5, 2004
✟11,440.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Revelation is my favorite book of the Bible and I read it every year on Pascha. I am so glad I wasn't raised a Protestant evangelical simply because it seems a lot of people who come from there to Orthodoxy have all these bitter feelings towards Revelation because of misinterpretations thereof... whereas I didn't have that and so I just see it as supremely, sublimely beautiful. Revelation is the link between the Old and New Testaments... it reveals the writings of the Prophets in the light of the coming of Jesus Christ... and it is the revelation (har har) of the life of the world to come, culminating in the Wedding Supper of the Lamb, the heavenly feast, which we foretaste each Sunday in the Eucharist. The key really is to discern when John was talking about actual futural events and when he was simply revealing the world as it was (is), and depicting Christ and His Church. Sometimes he does both at the same time. The book that Julio recommended is VERY good... fantastic. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't talk enough about the liturgical/eucharistic imagery in the book. Besides for that, it's perfect. I also want to read St. Bede's commentary on it sometime.

In IC XC,
Marjorie

Upvote 0

Monica child of God 1

strives to live eschatologically
Feb 4, 2005
✟9,473.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I love Revelation too. I can't read it without crying.

Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."

He who was seated on the throne said, "I am making everything new!" Then he said, "Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true."

He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son…

:cry:

M.

Upvote 0

Julio

Dec 21, 2004
✟8,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Marjorie said:
Revelation is my favorite book of the Bible...

Me too! I've devoted a good portion of my academic study of the New Testament to Johannine scholarship, in general, and the exegesis of Revelation, in particular.

Marjorie said:
The book that Julio recommended is VERY good... fantastic. The only issue I have with it is that it doesn't talk enough about the liturgical/eucharistic imagery in the book. Besides for that, it's perfect.

True enough--Vl. Averky, stickler that he was for the grammatico-historical meaning of the text, doesn't deal too much with this issue. Do you know, Marjorie, any Orthodox text that might discuss this aspect more fully? I know of a handful of articles wrtiten by C. Marvin Pate, a fine Evangelical scholar, that discuss the "worship imagery" of Revelation in comparison with the ceremonial of the Roman Emperor, but not much beyond that.

Marjorie said:
I also want to read St. Bede's commentary on it sometime.

Did you know that is it available online? Enjoy! ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.