How to get Investors for a Christian startup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harsh

Nov 25, 2005
Indiana
Visit site
✟142.00
Faith
Christian
Hello. I am involved in a Christian based game company that is putting out evangelistic RPGs (table top/pen&paper games to start with), and we are looking for investors or grants or anything along those lines, but are coming up short online. Does anyone here know anything about this? I'm at a loss. Also, the games are very competitive with contemporary market, but we are infusing the Old and New Covenant into the games and promoting the teachings of Christ as well, but it may not be overtly obvious to some, it is intentionally a bit subtle, not out of shame of our Lord, but rather so that we can actually reach a very anit-Christian market/subculture of people. This is a tricky place for us to be, but it is for sure where God has called us to be nonetheless. However, I say this to you knowing that some people/churches will not appreciate what we are doing or choose to see God in it. For this reason we have been careful in who we approach. Ok, I think that is the gist of it. Any help at all would be appreciated, especially business advice on investors. Thanks everyone!

mnphysicist

Have Courage to Trust God!
May 11, 2005
South East Minnesota (east of Rochester)
Visit site
✟57,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
Finding investors is really a function of what stage you are at, and the magnitude of funding needed, combined with your business plan.

There are virtually no grants available for startups. Some exist within a very narrow field, and with tight restrictions... which is often times counter productive. Otoh, if you have a few years under your belt, and project a need for employees, grants abound for building and training projects.

A general rule of thumb is
first $25K you and your partners
first $100K you, your partners, and every relative and friend you have (The SEC makes this a challenge, as you really can't recuit investors at this stage, thus its F&F only.
from $100K-$3MM angel investors
$3MM+++ Venture capitalists

The earlier you bring up outside investors, the more you loose. Eg, if its an early stage deal, you may well loose 70% or more of the company, and its control to an investor. Otoh, if you have sales, and need funding for accelerated growth, maybe you can still maintian control.

If you want, send me a PM and I'll take a look at your executive summary (assuming you don't need an NDA for it). A friend runs a vc firm, and another guy I know has a number of angel connections.

Ron

Upvote 0

brotherjerry

Apr 28, 2006
✟9,581.00
Faith
Baptist
Great information. But one thing I have run across is that angels and others are wanting you to build up your business fast and sell it to make a killing off of the sale.

I am looking at opening a Christian based ISP/NSP in my area. And unfortunately my F&F is fairly limited and start up can run close to $1 Mill... so I am having to consider outside funding. And Christian investors are hard to find in a money based world.

But thank you for the information and uniquorn would you mind if I shot you a note? Or you me?

Thanks
Sincerely
Brother Jerry

Upvote 0

SeekingtheFather

Dec 8, 2007
✟7,612.00
Faith
Christian
Greetings In The Name Of Jesus,

I am new to this forum, but very interested in this topic. I am a christian business owner of two business and serveral other things that the Lord has given my wife and I. We are in a hard spot in our business and behind in eveything. We have several contract for jobs but there not ready yet........About 2 weeks from getting things shut off and losing our home......God is in control of everything....... Do anyone know how to get grants or investor or loans with bad credit.....I need help.....I have kids and a wife...... If anyone know anybody that can help or suggest anything I am all ears.

May the Lord bless you with more of HIM
Joseph

Upvote 0

djsmalley

eBusiness is where the Holy Spirit has led me.
Mar 23, 2008
✟151.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hello. I am involved in a Christian based game company that is putting out evangelistic RPGs (table top/pen&paper games to start with), and we are looking for investors or grants or anything along those lines, but are coming up short online. Does anyone here know anything about this? I'm at a loss. Also, the games are very competitive with contemporary market, but we are infusing the Old and New Covenant into the games and promoting the teachings of Christ as well, but it may not be overtly obvious to some, it is intentionally a bit subtle, not out of shame of our Lord, but rather so that we can actually reach a very anit-Christian market/subculture of people. This is a tricky place for us to be, but it is for sure where God has called us to be nonetheless. However, I say this to you knowing that some people/churches will not appreciate what we are doing or choose to see God in it. For this reason we have been careful in who we approach. Ok, I think that is the gist of it. Any help at all would be appreciated, especially business advice on investors. Thanks everyone!
Well, this is a really great circumstance and interesting questions.

I believe it is VITAL to know where you are being led by the Holy Spirit in every activity of your life. Perhaps HE has led you here to make this thread - I do not really doubt that. Perhaps by now you have found more answers to your situation and are thus on a new path all for HIS GLORY.

I suggest that you look in the marketplace to see where bible/christian based games already are and then follow the line to their manufacturers/sellers. We own a Bibleopoly (bible based monopoly) game by Late for the Sky Production Company in Ohio, member of the Christian Booksellers Association.

Praying for you - :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.