• Total voters

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They already believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, just in a different way.....They also believe Jesus was born of a virgin, which is a concept the religion of Judaism cannot grasp.

What about the non-Christian unbelieving Jews?
Islam is actually closer to Christianity than is Judaism, but Judaism may be slightly more peaceful, [depending on whom you ask] IMHO.....

http://www.faithstreet.com/onfaith/...lims-and-christians-we-should-celebrate/37728

If there were a world rivalry of religions, few would hesitate to point to Islam versus Christianity. These religions, the two largest in the world, have a long history of locking swords — whether on the battlefield, through proselytizing, or during heated debates.

What tends to get buried under the dust, though, are some remarkable bonds shared by the two religions. Here are five of them that I wish we called more attention to:

Any worldview that denies that Jesus Christ is God (as Judaism and Islam does), does not believe in God, a false god to suit their desires. God only gave us one way to know Him and that is Jesus Christ and Him alone.

The chasm that spans between belief and unbelief is infinite. It does not matter how "close" you come to believing as Christianity teaches. You either believe in the absolute truth of Jesus Christ (by His grace) or you do not. There is no middle ground. There is no "almost" getting it right. God's standard is absolute perfect and He does not grade on a curve.

Islam is radically different than Christianity. If you don't have the one true living God (He is Jesus Christ), those things you claim to be similar are simply lies, and you really have nothing.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Any worldview that denies that Jesus Christ is God (as Judaism and Islam does), does not believe in God, a false god to suit their desires. God only gave us one way to know Him and that is Jesus Christ and Him alone.

The chasm that spans between belief and unbelief is infinite. It does not matter how "close" you come to believing as Christianity teaches. You either believe in the absolute truth of Jesus Christ (by His grace) or you do not. There is no middle ground. There is no "almost" getting it right. God's standard is absolute perfect and He does not grade on a curve.

Islam is radically different than Christianity. If you don't have the one true living God (He is Jesus Christ), those things you claim to be similar are simply lies, and you really have nothing.
I agree...............That is mentioned in this covenantle parable in Luke 16 of the Christian NT:

http://www.herealittletherealittle.net/index.cfm?page_name=Lazarus
The Great Chasm

Luke 16:26
And upon all of these between us[Christians] and ye[Heathens] a great chasm hath been established.
So that those willing to cross-over hence toward ye no may be able,
neither thence toward us may be ferrying

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Prayer does not save anyone. Lots of people "pray" but prayer does not make one righteous before God. You must have the imputed righteousness of Jesus Christ.

Sounds like not only is prayer an attempt to bribe God, but it's a meaningless one, at that.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
As for the US government, it has seldom acted in a Christ-like fashion.

Is the US under any contractual or constitutional obligation to act in a "Christ-like fashion"? Is the US a secular society or a theocracy. And, what "Christ-like fashion" are we talking about? Is it the sermon on the mount fashion, or is it the busting up of the temple fashion? Is it the whoever lives by the sword dies by the sword fashion, or is it the "I don't come to bring peace, but the sword" fashion?

Inquiring minds want to know....

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
I don't proclaim religion friend. By the grace of God, I proclaim Jesus Christ.

Yeah, we've heard that song before. The Early Church Fathers were not ashamed to call Christianity a religion. In fact St. Augustine argued it was the only religion.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

because religion is an attempt to bribe God.

Nonsense.

But God is holy, perfect and righteous and He will not be bribed by "good" works.

We are not all God's children.

Lovely religion you got there. :wave:

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
ISIS can get their weapons and funding because there are other Islamic-run nations in the region would are sympathetic to their cause and are willing to support them.

I don't know of a single Islamic country that is giving material support to ISIS. ISIS got their funding in part by robbing banks. They also control a lot of oil which they are selling on the black market.

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
They already believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, just in a different way....

I'd say pretty much the same way as Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

.They also believe Jesus was born of a virgin

They also believe Jesus is the Messiah and that he will come again.

Islam is actually closer to Christianity than is Judaism, but Judaism may be slightly more peaceful, [depending on whom you ask] IMHO.....

If there were a world rivalry of religions, few would hesitate to point to Islam versus Christianity. These religions, the two largest in the world, have a long history of locking swords — whether on the battlefield, through proselytizing, or during heated debates.

I would say that Europe largely formulated its identity in opposition to Islam.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,206,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know of a single Islamic country that is giving material support to ISIS. ISIS got their funding in part by robbing banks. They also control a lot of oil which they are selling on the black market.

The countries themselves aren't giving them money directly...however, they're turning a blind eye to the wealthy donors that live within their borders that are sponsoring them.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/14/america-s-allies-are-funding-isis.html

...in the years they were getting started, a key component of ISIS’s support came from wealthy individuals in the Arab Gulf States of Kuwait, Qatar and Saudi Arabia. Sometimes the support came with the tacit nod of approval from those regimes; often, it took advantage of poor money laundering protections in those states, according to officials, experts, and leaders

Upvote 0

smaneck

Baha'i
Sep 29, 2010
Jackson, MS
✟55,644.00
Faith
Baha'i
Marital Status
Single
The countries themselves aren't giving them money directly...however, they're turning a blind eye to the wealthy donors that live within their borders that are sponsoring them.

ISIS went through various metamorphosis in its history. When it was a Salafi jihadist group trying to overthrow the King of Jordan I can imagine there might have been some Wahhabis supporting it. When later it became an affiliate of al-Qaeda it may still have enjoyed some support because of its ant-Shi'ite rhetoric. That would have played a role in Syria as well. But I would be very surprised if it received any outside support once it claimed the Caliphate. That would have crossed the line for nearly all Salafis.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
That is precisely my point.

Your point was about stating-the-obvious?

The Enlightenment believed that you could use natural law to determine morality.

And we can. But that doesn't mean that a particular scientific theory about a certain thing is the way to do that.

What we call Social Darwinism was the logical outcome of that mindset.

That's not science.

Science can help us in determining morality, because science gives us the tools and knowledge we need to make such determinations.

Then there are fields like psychology, neurology, etc... which help us in understanding physical and emotional suffering.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I'm a sinful Muslim but I do know that the proper way to follow my religion is how Allaah and His Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) told us to follow it.

Again, ISIS, al-qaida and alike say the exact same thing.......

Anyone can make claims.

Which would include YOU.

The measuring stick is how closely their words and actions match that which is derived from the Qur'aan, sunnah, and the consensus of the scholars. ISIS violated/goes contrary to many Islaamic rulings which is not surprising considering that they can't offer up a single credible scholar with proper credentials.

So, really, scholars decide what is "proper" islam?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don't proclaim religion friend. By the grace of God, I proclaim Jesus Christ.

Religion is not the way to God at all, because religion is an attempt to bribe God.

I've heard it said that Christianity is not a "religion," but rather, "a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."

And what is the nature of that relationship? You proclaim Him and He bestows the "free" gift of salvation upon you, correct?

Upvote 0
Jan 25, 2013
✟58,740.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
Again, ISIS, al-qaida and alike say the exact same thing.......

Right, so judge their actions/words/beliefs according to the Qur'aan and sunnah and the consensus of scholars. ISIS' own shari'ah court declared Alan Henning innocent of what they accused him of yet they still executed him. Not a single scholar has backed ISIS up and, instead, have condemned them for their numerous violations of the shari'ah and their distorted beliefs.

Which would include YOU.

Did I say otherwise?

So, really, scholars decide what is "proper" islam?

No, Allaah does and He revealed, through His Messenger, the religion. Credible scholars are better equipped at teaching the laypeople the religion, though, because they have studied the religion in depth. They have studied the numerous narrations and the work the scholars of the past put in towards understanding Islaam. The consensus of scholars is a source of legislation because the Prophet said that the ummah will never agree upon falsehood and this is interpreted as the most knowledgeable of the Muslim nation (and this consensus will be based upon the Qur'aan/sunnah).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PsychoeDial

God Return To And Bless America
Mar 10, 2016
Tokyo
✟11,034.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The Koran is considered the actual words of the god allah. Not divine revelation but the actual words of god.
The first reform served to make Islam more vicious. Reform of Islam would require reforming what the Muslim believes is their god's actual written word and that isn't going to happen.
All the world can do is be on guard for the Jihadist Muslim. As long as Islam is on earth there will be conflict.
There is no fixing Islam. At least not until God does so.

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see any humane way of doing this. You would have to install dictators like Saddam in every Muslim country and they would have to enforce secularism forcibly. Doing this would bring stability to the countries and region but the people would suffer just like the Iraqi's under Saddam. I think this would be a better option because I would prefer stability over total chaos but it would still be bad for people.

There is no way to "fix" Islam because it has been this way from the start so it would take a new development to deal with the problem.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I don't see any humane way of doing this. You would have to install dictators like Saddam in every Muslim country and they would have to enforce secularism forcibly. Doing this would bring stability to the countries and region but the people would suffer just like the Iraqi's under Saddam. I think this would be a better option because I would prefer stability over total chaos but it would still be bad for people.

I perhaps don't necessarily agree with your statement, but I'll be willing to bet that if you would give Iraqi's the choice of living in an Iraq lead by Saddam Hussein or an Iraq led by ISIS... I think the vast majority would prefer Saddam.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
They already believe in the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, just in a different way.....They also believe Jesus was born of a virgin, which is a concept the religion of Judaism cannot grasp.

Will not grasp, you mean. Don't imply that they're somehow inferior just because they don't believe as you do...

What about the non-Christian unbelieving Jews?

Judaism became a lot more peaceful after the Romans came to town...and especially after AD 70. To be expected; getting your posterior epically handed to you tends to sour one against war...

How much of that was religious, and how much of that was political using religion to give it a veneer of legitimacy?

Upvote 0

football5680

Feb 6, 2013
Georgia
✟90,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I perhaps don't necessarily agree with your statement, but I'll be willing to bet that if you would give Iraqi's the choice of living in an Iraq lead by Saddam Hussein or an Iraq led by ISIS... I think the vast majority would prefer Saddam.
I would definitely agree. The majority of the population is Shia and ISIS considers them apostates and the penalty for this is death. So the choice would be between a harsh dictator and death and almost everybody would choose the dictator. The majority of the Sunni population would probably choose Saddam as well because Saddam favored the minority groups in the country because they had the most to lose if the Shia majority ever gained power.

Upvote 0