How much should an avg. 7 year old weigh?

beth34

Jul 20, 2006
South
✟15,420.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi,

My daughter has just turned 7 and she weighs 44 pounds. She's gained maybe 2 or 3 pounds in the last year. Her height is average. Every year her pediatrician tells me that she's just skinny and that it's nothing to worry about. It is just a weird thing to see all her ribs and her little backbone and shoulderblades sticking out so!! Just wanted to get an idea of how much other 7 year olds out there weigh. I have a 7 year old niece and she weighs 60 lbs. She's alot taller than my daughter though and bigger boned.

cosmosmu

Jul 24, 2010
✟7,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I weight around that much too when I was around your daughters age. (and very skinny like how you describe). No worry, as long as she is healthy and happy. If you still don't feel okay, get a second opinion from another doctor.

Consider taking dance classes? it's healthy (good for the body) and it's art (good for the soul).

Upvote 0

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟205,549.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Overall health determination is based more on family history, overall growth pattern since birth and then height rather than age. My kiddo has been in the lower 5-10 percentile on both height and weight since she was born. My nephews were both in the same category until they were in their early 20's, and one is now 6 foot and the other is 5' 10".

Hubbies whole family has been late growers, growing until they were into the mid 20's. When hubby was 5.5 yrs old (don't recall his height) he was 29 lbs, so our kiddo beat him there :). Sweetie's pedi was worried about her patterns until we discussed family history with her, and then she was fine with it.

Upvote 0

TCat

Daily surrender
Mar 23, 2007
usa
✟10,087.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My 6 1/2 yr old daughter weighs 41 lbs, she is strong and healthy and VERY active. It's hard to buy her clothes at times as everything that is long enough is WAY to big in the waist. Thank the Lord for elastic in the wiatbands of jeans. So our girls are skinny, as long as they are active and have enough energy, as long as they eat healthy foods let them enjoy it.
My son, 18, was once a VERY thin kid, the shortest in his class and you could count all his ribs, our pedi told me to put him on the icecream diet and fatten him up. I am overweight, and replied "does it look like we are NOT on the icecream diet?"
Don't worry about it, girls have enough pressure to fit into the body mold as they grow, as long as she is healthy she will grow as she should.

Upvote 0