How is Easter on 3/27/16 before Passover 4/22/16???

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
Retired police/retired engineer
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
So that we're all clear about this...

You don't celebrate ANY of the usual Christian holidays, right? Not Easter, but also not Christmas, nor any of the others.

BINGO!
Well.................................................maybe, sorta.......................:oldthumbsup:

OF COURSE I DO.
But I don't recognize them as Christian holidays but National Holidays.
I LOVE X-MASS.
I've yet to be in a Christian home on Christmas where the birth of Jesus was central.
It was always............."whadja git?"
"Beeeeautiful tree."

"look that the neighbors lights. We need MORE!"

I'm close to a Jewish couple that does not celebrate X-mas.
No kidding.

My uncle was an Elder in a Church of Christ that didn't celebrate X-mas as a religious holiday but a national American holiday.
He knew the date had nothing to do with Christs birth.
Dec. 25th isn't even close to the date Christ was born.
No one knows the date and the ancient Jews didn't use b-dates.
Look it up.
World x-mas tradition is rotten with paganism.
Look that up also.
Grin and bear it.
Satan is sooooooooooooooooooo clever.

Upvote 0

Commander Xenophon

Member of the Admiralty
Jan 18, 2016
St. Louis, MO
✟3,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
It means "He is risen". What did you think it meant????????
There was some kind of point in that reply????????:scratch::scratch:
What does "risen" have to do with the Easter holiday replete with
Easter eggs, candy rabbits, & kids, and very little if anything to do
with Jesus' ascension?
I won't waste my time and electrons on a screen posting sources
to explain Easter's pagan roots.
If you are inquiring enough to be a member of this forum then
one would think you are intelligent enough to investigate for
yourself instead of accepting false church dogma.
Inquiring minds don'cha'know?
I suppose you still believe, " I did not have sex with that woman.........." :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Easter eggs, the easter bunny, et cetrra, are not part of the dogma of the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church or any traditional Protestant church, concerning the resurrection of our Lord.

They are also not a part of the actual liturgical services either.

If you have a beef with these regional customs like egg painting, et cetera, that's fine, but please don't confuse that with the actual Paschal feast that Christians have celebrated since the First Century.

Also, by the way, many of us are quite busy; we're not really in a position to debate with some website you link us to. If you want to present an argument based on that material, that would be more helpful, because then we could have a proper debate on the subject, here on CF.com.

Otherwise I think we are wasting electrons; threads on CF should be actual discussions and not just opposing sides in a debate copy-pasting URLs and canned polemics, because it is through dialogue, by talking to each other, that we have the chance to learn and discover new perspectives. :)

Upvote 0

Commander Xenophon

Member of the Admiralty
Jan 18, 2016
St. Louis, MO
✟3,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Nope.
It ain't.

^^^ Why we have over 33,000 denominations of Christians all reading the same book.

Most of these denominations are small offshoots or independent Protestant churches, and of that number, a great many are in communion with each other, or not in opposition to each other.

Really, aside from Protestantism, there are just four "denominations," the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, the Oriental Orthodox Church, and the Church of the East. There used to be a fifth, the Paulicians, who rejected all the Gospels except Luke and believed that the God of the Old Testament was not the Father of our Lord, but they converted to Orthodoxy in the 19th century, the last of the Christian Gnostics to throw in the towell.

Upvote 0

Commander Xenophon

Member of the Admiralty
Jan 18, 2016
St. Louis, MO
✟3,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
BINGO!
Well.................................................maybe, sorta.......................:oldthumbsup:

OF COURSE I DO.
But I don't recognize them as Christian holidays but National Holidays.
I LOVE X-MASS.
I've yet to be in a Christian home on Christmas where the birth of Jesus was central.
It was always............."whadja git?"
"Beeeeautiful tree."

"look that the neighbors lights. We need MORE!"

I'm close to a Jewish couple that does not celebrate X-mas.
No kidding.

My uncle was an Elder in a Church of Christ that didn't celebrate X-mas as a religious holiday but a national American holiday.
He knew the date had nothing to do with Christs birth.
Dec. 25th isn't even close to the date Christ was born.
No one knows the date and the ancient Jews didn't use b-dates.
Look it up.
World x-mas tradition is rotten with paganism.
Look that up also.
Grin and bear it.
Satan is sooooooooooooooooooo clever.

Actually, on this point you have it backwards. The celebration of the Nativity was originally held on January 6th, together with the celebration of the Baptism of our Lord in the Jordan (the Theophany). In the Armenian Orthodox Church, this is still the custom.

However, in the late fourth century, one of the few remaining active pagan holidays was the feast of Sol Invictus on the 25th of December, accompanied by the horrible mass-immorality of the Saturnalia.

To put a stop to that, the majority of local churches decided to celebrate Christmas on December 25th, to keep their baptized faithful and catechumens from being tempted by the Saturnalia.

As far as Christmas trees et cetera are concerned, these are secular folk customs that accompany the holiday, but are not actually a part of it. So, for instance, if you walk into an Orthodox Church on Christmas Eve, you will not find Christmas decorations, but instead, there will be in the center a beautiful floral display surrounding an icon of the Nativity.

Our ancient hymns furthermore discuss only the wonder of the incarnation; they do not extend to Western Christmas carols; these are not a part of the liturgy.

Reactions: jeager016
Upvote 0

Commander Xenophon

Member of the Admiralty
Jan 18, 2016
St. Louis, MO
✟3,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/ancient-pagan-origins-easter-001571
Where did all of the strange customs come from, which have nothing to do with the resurrection of our Saviour?
^^
http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/ancient-pagan-origins-easter-001571

I could research, copy and post ad nauseam but I'd rather the
reader do such for themselves.

Nothing changes a mind cloaked in tradition no matter the origins.

But on this point, again, we can't have a fruitful discussion with URLs. We can have a discussion with you, however, because you are a person, and talking through theological questions is the best way to learn, even if you disagree vehemently with the other side.

Also regarding tradition, see 2 Thessalonians 2:15

Reactions: jeager016
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Nope.
It ain't.

^^^ Why we have over 33,000 denominations of Christians all reading the same book.
Well, neither of those comments seems to address what I wrote, although they're interesting.

1. Of course Easter and Christmas ARE celebrated as religious holidays by many people, even if you choose not to...and in fact, if you call them 'pagan,' that would still refer to a religious perspective, but just not the Christian one.

2. There are not 33,000 denominations of Christians.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He isn't simply the Jewish Messiah, though, is He? He is God Himself, come in the flesh. The same God Who said "Rise, Peter; kill, and eat...What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common. " Somehow y'all seem to miss that point, rather pointedly.
CONTEXT

Acts 10:28
28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Denominations of Christianity:
There are about 41,000 different Christian denominations in five major 'families' of churches/communion. The percentages in brackets indicate the percent of the Christian population affiliated with each 'family' or group of denominations:

http://www.answers.com/Q/How_many_Christian_denominations_are_there

Argue with the web cite.
Otherwise how would anyone know?
Some sites day 33,000.
I dunno anymore than I search for on the web.
IF anyone here knows different please post it.
I like learning, ergo why I'm on this site.

Upvote 0

jeager016

Feb 8, 2015
✟9,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
So that we're all clear about this...

You don't celebrate ANY of the usual Christian holidays, right? Not Easter, but also not Christmas, nor any of the others.

No.
But I attend those affairs with loved ones who do.
I don't inject my private notions about such upon others.
Not anyone here either.
Well, o.k. so I DO buy my special people gifts.
O.K.? Am I going to hell for that?
I ACCEPT gifts also.
Am I going to hell for that too?
O.K. so I AM a closet celebrator. So there!
I'm out of the closet!!!!!!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Feels so good.
I just wish someone would pony up for a new shotgun, ammo, fishing rod, lures.................

I'm an unashamed outdoors person.:clap:
My god have mercy upon my soul.:crossrc::crossrc:
I even EAT what I harvest. Else why do it?:oldthumbsup:
Get back to ya later. Off to an A.A. meeting.
We all pray there don'cha'know?:crossrc:

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
No.
But I attend those affairs with loved ones who do.
I don't inject my private notions about such upon others.
Not anyone here either.
Well, o.k. so I DO buy my special people gifts.
O.K.? Am I going to hell for that?
I ACCEPT gifts also.
Am I going to hell for that too?
O.K. so I AM a closet celebrator. So there!
I'm out of the closet!!!!!!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Feels so good.
I just wish someone would pony up for a new shotgun, ammo, fishing rod, lures.................

I'm an unashamed outdoors person.:clap:
My god have mercy upon my soul.:crossrc::crossrc:
I even EAT what I harvest. Else why do it?:oldthumbsup:
You're still not addressing these events in religious terms, although that was the point of the controversy here.

Upvote 0

Jipsah

Blood Drinker
Aug 17, 2005
Franklin, Tennessee
✟221,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
CONTEXT

Acts 10:28
28 And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.
"Arise, Peter, kill and eat." Somehow that part got disincluded from your "context". <Laugh> And on any case, I see no need to play at being a Jew.

Upvote 0

The Hammer of Witches

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jun 7, 2016
America
✟14,999.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So, if Easter, in late March (3/27/16), really was the day of Christ Jesus’ resurrection 2,000-years-ago, how could He come out of the grave 25 days before His crucifixion, death and burial on The Passover in late April (4/22/16)?

If Easter really was the authentic Christian celebration of the resurrection of Christ Jesus, Easter would ALWAYS occur on the correct Sunday - the first Sunday following The Passover.

So how is it calculated this year and what exactly are we celebrating???
Sunday after end of Passover is the Resurrection day. That is the day we are supposed to celebrate.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Denominations of Christianity:
There are about 41,000 different Christian denominations in five major 'families' of churches/communion. The percentages in brackets indicate the percent of the Christian population affiliated with each 'family' or group of denominations:

Just so you'll know, those figures have been discussed here a number of times and the reasons why they are wildly incorrect explained. Probably a search will show you where that information can be located.

Upvote 0

Mockingbird0

Mimus polyglottos
Feb 28, 2012
Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa
✟17,994.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Sunday after end of Passover is the Resurrection day. That is the day we are supposed to celebrate.
By "after end of Passover" do you mean, after the 7th day of Unleavened Bread according to the Rabbinic Jewish calendar?

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please study the biblical Feast Days in Lev 23 & Number 28-29. Passover is part of a 8 day Feast that starts with Passover, which transitions to the Feast of Unleavened Bread which is 7 days long.

Jesus died on Passover and Rose on the First Fruits, Not good Friday and rose Easter Sunday and thats how he fulfilled the the 4 spring Feasts including Pentecost 50 days later. When he returns on Feast or Trumpets the will fulfill the remaining Fall Feasts.

Upvote 0

Mockingbird0

Mimus polyglottos
Feb 28, 2012
Between Broken Bow and Black Mesa
✟17,994.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Jesus died on Passover and Rose on the First Fruits
According to the Johannine chronology. Not according to the synoptic chronology.

Not good Friday and rose Easter Sunday
In the Johannine chronology, Jesus was crucified on the 14th of Nisan, which was a Friday, and rose on the 16th of Nisan, which was a Sunday.

We can preserve the lunar dates or the days of the week, but not both. Since Sunday was a Christian festival-day from the very beginning, most Christians decided to celebrate the resurrection on the Lord's day that fell within the week of Unleavened Bread, rather than on the 16th of Nisan without regard to the weekday. This is a rational choice.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Honey Baked Ham is a big item Easter Sunday, just about EVERY single Easter dinner I have been to in my life, has a ham in the middle of the table.

As for "How does eating pork "honor" a Jew?", that is a great questions as to how the tradition of a ham on Easter Sunday came about.

As are hot cross buns. Leaven is not permitted during Passover.

Reactions: SAAN
Upvote 0