How has the economic crises effected you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I play poker for a living and I have noticed that there isn't as much "dead money" as there used to be.

Finincially I'm better than ever, I payed off my car and my child support is paid up for many months.
But I did that because I mostly sleep out of my car, I don't pay rent or electric.
If I lived the normal american lifestyle, I wouldn't have been able to do all of that.

I see a major difference in craigslist(an online mall/job search/home buying renting/ etc. Anything sold can be found on that site, and it's even a match maker, all free).
Before you could find huge lists of jobs every day in south florida where I live. That has shrunk by about 85%.
At the same time there are huge lists of people renting out rooms in their homes, in efforts to try and make ends meet.
In smaller areas you see one job listing every other day or every few days.

C

Cassidy

Me personally? Well our government is throwing money at us this christmas so we spend big to help our economy. It's a pretty good windfall for us so we're going to use it to by a van so everyone can fit in the one car when the baby comes.

Other than that I haven't really checked out the rentals or anything as we rent from my inlaws so our rent is pretty much fixed. My husband will never lose work...cos he's a funeral director and people will still die despite the economy...I know it sound's bad...but it's true.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The only thing I've seen so far in my situation is that things have slowed down at work...quite a bit. The railroad is not running as much. Car sales are down so they they are not hauling new cars. The only thing are pretty sure to continue hauling is coal and grain. I'm not sure about what else.

With my job they have lowered the amount of drivers required to be on hand but they say they will not get rid of the ones they have. If any quit or get fired they will not rush to replace them. In less of course they are below the required amount needed to be available. I'm doing a run approximately every other day, sometimes a couple of days in a row. This week, I know I will be working Thanksgiving day 'cause I'm filling in for one of the shuttle drivers who wants the day off. I am filling in for another the next day.

I'm not in debt to anyone :clap: All I have are the regular monthly bills. God is and will continue to meet my needs. If I need to move in with someone else or someone moves in with me that would be ok with me. Whatever the Lord shows me to do and provides the means of me doing it, I plan to do it.

Oh, I'm also getting more into freebies, coupons, and bartering. Every little bit helps. :)

Reactions: pinetree
Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Absolutely none.

A thousand may fall at my side, ten thousand at my right hand, but it will not come near me.

:cool:

No raises next year. Oh well.

Hi bros..

Seems like God allows both.I have seen what Faulty is seeing,and presently I am where Lismore is...

But in all,we know God is there....:clap:

And nothing can seperate from him!

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
i'm buying less, driving a lot less, and decided not to get a new car this year.
next year will be more of the same.
one good thing, though---we won the "free rent for a month" drawing at our complex, so that money will go into savings.:clap::clap::clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MrSnow

May 30, 2007
✟8,977.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It hasn't affected me at all. As long as there is money in y'all's pockets for Uncle Sam to take from you, there is money coming into my pocket. But in 2 years and 10 months that will be changing, as I will be exiting the Navy and moving on to something else (God only knows what that will be at this point). Then the tables will be turned.

Upvote 0
P

Peaceful Dove

AWWWW! Poor Dear.

So, where do you fish?

We (my daughter in law and me) are talking about checking out Lake Shasta Friday.
We haven't gone there because it is so low due to the draught. However, they just had a Bass Tourney there and it was good and the Rainbows are hitting over a pound each.

Usually we fish Whiskeytown Lake. We are in Northern California.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Andry

Jedi Master
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2004
Left Coast, Canada
✟67,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i'm buying less, driving a lot less, and decided not to get a new car this year.
next year will be more of the same.
one good thing, though---we won the "free rent for a month" drawing at our complex, so that money will go into savings.:clap::clap::clap:
Although it may not be the best time for you to buy a new car, it may actually best the best time to get the best deal on a new car.:cool:

Upvote 0

he4rty

Just A Fool For Christ
Apr 28, 2006
Visit site
✟21,138.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I work at the Local Van Factory and during September we watched the predicted year end sales fall by 14,000 Vans so that basically meant we couldn't keep running and building at our current rate.
So as with many of the car plants we to are having down days, by the time Christmas comes we would have had nearly six weeks off, fortunately we are only losing the shift premiums as we have agreed to get paid for the days off provided that we work weekends when needed for nothing, not the best ideal but at least its better than getting the government minimum of £20 a day for each day your laid off.

P.S
I work for that company that also does Genetically Modified stuff.:D

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It hasn't affected me at all. As long as there is money in y'all's pockets for Uncle Sam to take from you, there is money coming into my pocket. But in 2 years and 10 months that will be changing, as I will be exiting the Navy and moving on to something else (God only knows what that will be at this point). Then the tables will be turned.

With jobs being lost at record pace, the government will also be hit very hard.
The money they count on will shrink along with everyone else's.

I've read one article locally about how much less they are pulling in, and as a result they have to redo the books and cut certian programs.

It's a domino effect.
First the housing market, which led to the jobs that build homes, which led to the banks, which led to the car industry. All of this takes away from the government, from TV ads which will lead to TV cuts, and eventually everything.
As the unemployment rate goes up, so does the need for government assistance, which puts even more burden on the government.
So that not only is the government missing the money it was once pulling in, it has a huge burden of giving out more in assistance.
People don't have a choice in not paying certain bills, like rent/morgage, health plans.
And if they can't make the basic bills each month, they will look to cut other areas like spending on resturuants and gifts for the holidays.

As all of this goes on, crime will go up which will require more money being spent on prisons and lawyers to prosecute the criminals.

One area that needs to have a huge cut in is the military.
A lot of bases over seas will have to close.
Production of military equipment will have to shrink.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Someone has to do it.;)

Php 4:19
But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
KJV

People need to realize the key word in that verse....needs.

Paul learned to be content in all situations, even in jail.
He also said if we have food and clothing, let us be content with these things.

Things like cable tv, a/c, internet, unlimited phone minutes, nice foods on a regular bases, alcohal, sports events, etc. could be limited or even go all together until this problem gets fixed, if it gets fixed.

College will be effected.
Student loans could have restrictions, like certain classes might not fall under new loan guidlines.

Smaller sport events will probably go out of buisness, and major ones will be forced to sell tickets at a cheaper rate, which will effect salarys.

This economic crises is definitely going to reshape how the government is runned.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Although it may not be the best time for you to buy a new car, it may actually best the best time to get the best deal on a new car.:cool:

the better deals are still down the pike a ways. ;)
meanwhile we'll keep on saving our money. so far the best deals will still cost us more each month than the maintenance on our older car, which only has 54K mileage.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.