• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How do you meditate?

NewbieinChrist

Don't magnify your problems; magnify God Almighty.
Aug 6, 2016
Texas
✟16,993.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I need someone to show me how it's done. I have Aspergers and can't free my mind of racing thoughts long enough to concentrate on God's Word. Meditation is how the Holy Spirit renews our minds and I sincerely need my mind renewed. Any advice?

Reactions: faroukfarouk

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I need someone to show me how it's done. I have Aspergers and can't free my mind of racing thoughts long enough to concentrate on God's Word. Meditation is how the Holy Spirit renews our minds and I sincerely need my mind renewed. Any advice?
Ephesians 5.26 speaks of the 'washing of water by the word'. Even if the first or second time you read a passage you don't take it all in, yet the fact that you are persevering in the Word has a cleansing effect on the mind. So it's great to persevere! :)

Upvote 0

NewbieinChrist

Aug 6, 2016
Texas
✟16,993.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ephesians 5.26 speaks of the 'washing of water by the word'. Even if the first or second time you read a passage you don't take it all in, yet the fact that you are persevering in the Word has a cleansing effect on the mind. So it's great to persevere! :)
Thank you! I'm in His Word every morning and God is restoring me.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! I'm in His Word every morning and God is restoring me.
When prayer and the Scriptures become second nature in the life of the believer, then it's assuring to know the means that God by His Spirit is using to guide the person in following the Lord Jesus. :)

Upvote 0

NewbieinChrist

Aug 6, 2016
Texas
✟16,993.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
When prayer and the Scriptures become second nature in the life of the believer, then it's assuring to know the means that God by His Spirit is using to guide the person in following the Lord Jesus. :)
Yes, I believe that with all of my heart. I have kjv/amp parallel Bible. I am persevering, but I still feel like I should've progressed more by now.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I believe that with all of my heart. I have kjv/amp parallel Bible. I am persevering, but I still feel like I should've progressed more by now.
So do we all. The moment we start to feel self-sufficient, it's wrong! :)

Upvote 0

NewbieinChrist

Aug 6, 2016
Texas
✟16,993.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
So do we all. The moment we start to feel self-sufficient, it's wrong! :)
I really like what you just said. Apart from Him, we can do nothing (John 15:5).
We must stay attached to the Vine...Amen.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I really like what you just said. Apart from Him, we can do nothing (John 15:5).
We must stay attached to the Vine...Amen.
This is a great and pivotal verse! and I sometimes wish preachers took it more to heart as well! I mean, they need to preach the Word and leave the results to the Lord, without Whom they can do nothing, instead of trying to extract decisions that they can take the credit for.

Upvote 0

NewbieinChrist

Aug 6, 2016
Texas
✟16,993.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is a great and pivotal verse! and I sometimes wish preachers took it more to heart as well! I mean, they need to preach the Word and leave the results to the Lord, without Whom they can do nothing, instead of trying to extract decisions that they can take the credit for.
Agreed. I think that when some preachers reach a certain level, they forget all about humility and instead become prideful. This isn't good.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Agreed. I think that when some preachers reach a certain level, they forget all about humility and instead become prideful. This isn't good.
So I think that verse in John 15.5 is excellent for us all to remember. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jargew

Aug 6, 2012
✟12,751.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

There are lot's of meditating methods on the internet. I'm not sure what method is best.
But, another good habit that helps tremendously with improving focus (and health in general) is swimming.
You can't really do anything else but focus on your strokes and finishing your laps.
Any repetitive exercise can help improve your focus.

Upvote 0

SHETALKSTOANGELS

Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2016
NY
✟1,611.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I have a lot of trouble stilling my mind, so I find mantra meditation the easiest, but it is still a struggle, in your mind or in a low voice keep repeating along with your breath something you resonate with, perhaps the Jesus Prayer ( Lord Jesus Christ have mercy upon me, a sinner ), your favorite Bible quote, or even just a lovely word, such as peace, calm, tranquil....

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2016
USA
✟8,099.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am not Christian but I meditate. It will take you a few months of practice to get to a point where your mind will relax and go blank. You can't read while doing it though. It may calm you enough to read for a bit after. Take 20 minutes a day and find a spot you have quiet and no interruptions. Focus on natural breathing. When you have a thought let it go. You will find it takes time to get to certain points. Just stick with it. Don't get up until the 20 minutes is over and just breathe and try to clear your head. Youtube has videos as well.

Reactions: jargew
Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,551.00
Country
Australia
Faith