How do you lead a 'real'/genuine bible study

therealdrag0

Feb 27, 2006
✟8,211.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Me and a buddy are looking to lead a bible study that is real and genuine. We want to break away from the churchy norms, filled with platitudes and clichés and spiritual head nods.
We want a bible study that is a bunch of dudes getting together to learn the word, to be real with each other, and grow in Christ, walking out the gospel, and sharing life.

Do you guys have any specific suggestions to help facilitate this? Or experiences that can be drawn from?
Thanks
Zachariah

Andres88

Contributor
Feb 7, 2008
Santo Domingo
✟25,823.00
Country
Dominican Republic
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Whoever is going to be the leader needs to have a true commitment to the group and the ones who are going to be in it. He also needs to spend time, not just reading the Scriptures, but also meditating on them, grabbing practical teachings, wondering how those things can be applied to the member's lives, etcetera. The success of every Bible study group initially and ultimately is a prerrogative of God. If the leader is diligent enough, spends as much time as possible in communion with God, and knows how to be creative to bring new perspectives of things in relation to what is being studied, things would be wonderful.

I used to lead this group we got to call "Jovenes Impactando al Mundo" (Youth Impacting the World), which was a fresh proposal that was greatly attractive to those who had the chance to be in it. Because of changes in my college schedule, I had to stop leading the group. The next leader was unable to keep things up, so the meetings ceased and the group fell appart.

About a year later, we decided to study a book: Jim George's "A Young Man After God's Own Heart". It has been great too, but I perceive it as less enthralling as the other group (even when it's composed by the same people). The freedom enjoyed in the first one is possibly the cause of it, but we are learning a lot and enjoying the reading nevertheless.

Upvote 0

Hass2be

Noob
Apr 20, 2009
England
✟15,203.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
1 really important thing i should say is that in a bible study your not there to dictate what you think each passage means. Instead you are there to "control the flow" of the chat, maintain order in the group, ask questions that may probe the groups minds. Your not a teacher, you 2 will be learning- and thats the great thing about it :) Ive been on a training weekend with the Navigators and will be a bible study leader for my CU, starting in 2 weeks, so im still a noob- but thats what has really stuck out for me :)

God bless you
Hass

Reactions: Andres88
Upvote 0

j6w25f

Sep 5, 2007
Columbus, OH
✟8,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Very well put Hass2be. I am currently in a discipleship class with my college fellowship group where we are learning how to be a small group/bible study group leader. What you had to say was spot on with what we have been learning in our training as well. Also what LivingWorshipper has to say about dedication to not only God's word but also to the group means a lot too.

We are using a book called Discipleship by Design by Harvey Herman. It is segmented into two major sections with lessons within each section for learning more about being a discipler of others. Section 1 is primarily for a pastor or minister's perspective and section 2 is more for a small group/bible study group leader.

Link to book on Amazon
Amazon.com: Discipleship By Design: Harvey A. Herman: Books

Upvote 0

keek

Philippians 4:13
Apr 19, 2009
✟15,184.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know if I will be any help but...

My boyfriend and I did a Bible study for awhile. It was fun and I learned a lot, and I hope we helped our friends learn. Hass2be got it right on, about being a fellow "student" not just the teacher.

I guess I would suggest you start it with your buddy for now, and keep the word out there and I'm sure people will come. Oh and don't hesitate to invite non-Christians its a wonderful feeling when they come back =D

Good luck =]

Upvote 0

Lyle

I am last minute stuff
Nov 12, 2003
Home
Visit site
✟11,640.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am involved in a group that meets on Saturday nights, generally at people's houses and other time in the church meeting. One will bring/prepare and meal and we come and sit down and discuss the Bible. If you want something that is genuine at the core and is a Bible study I think you should do exactly that, study the Bible, nothing besides. Open the Bible and study carefull what that passage says about itself. We are going through some of the books of the Old Testament and you'd be surprised the details you pick out when you study in-depth.

Upvote 0