How do you combat your panic attacks?

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Almost anything can set one off. I've become much, much more attuned to my physiological responses to stress and can usually tell when a panic attack is going to come on.

I can feel my attention waning, like I'm becoming ADD or something, my mind begins to wander, my heart starts beating faster, and the repetitive thoughts (or disastrous thoughts, or "what if" thoughts) start coming into my head. If I'm on top of it, I can catch myself before it hits me. If it catches me by surprise, or if the impetus doesn't leave me with enough time to react, then.... it'll hit me.

I've used many techniques to break out of it. I went to cognitive behavior therapy for my anxiety and panic attacks and got some great tools.

One that helps if my husband is around is to sing a silly song about whatever I'm panicking about. We use the tune of "Hello Mudder, Hello Fadder" and just on the spot, impromptu, will come up with some ridiculous lyrics to match what I'm freaking out about. It's very, very hard to stay in panic-mode when you're laughing at absurd lyrics about your fear.

Another tool is to "then what?" myself to the next logical step in whatever I'm panicking over. Like, if I'm having an anxiety attack over the fear of something happening to my husband. Follow the progression:

So something happens to him, then what?
... I'll be alone and without him.
Then what?
... I'll be miserable and despondent.
Then what? Will you be that way forever?
... Maybe
Then what?
... I guess eventually I'll die of sadness.
Then what?
... Um.... I'll be in heaven?

That's a little extreme, but really if I take each step to the next "then what" I can get to the point where I can see that even if the absolute worst thing were to happen, eventually it would get to an end point that is manageable for me.

If I'm in too much of a panic attack to think that logically, I will sit at my computer, open up a Notepad window, and just start typing. Stream of consciousness, writing out what I'm feeling, every little thing, rapid heartbeat, racing thoughts, fears, worries, just everything. I might be sitting at the computer typing furiously for 10 minutes, crying my eyes out until I can't see the screen, but -- I can't keep that up forever, it's physically impossible.

Writing it all out brings some clarity to my thoughts, which helps me think more rationally about whatever is bringing me to a panic. The release of emotion coupled with coming to more rational and reasonable thought will usually help me get past even the worst panic attacks. Then I can use one of my other tools because I'm in a better frame of mind to get there.

Upvote 0

Nella Fantasia

Sin-Bound
Mar 9, 2005
Visit site
✟28,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Almost everything sets off my panic attacks. :doh: Usually anything that has to do with social contact: answering phones, talking to strangers, hanging out with the in-laws, public speaking, etc. How do I combat it? Avoid people :p Otherwise there's nothing I can really do besides try to get away from the situation or deal with it.

Upvote 0

Rebekka

meow meow meow meow meow meow
Oct 25, 2006
✟34,375.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
I avoid people too.

This move is stressing me out. Anything about the move triggers my panic attacks. I'm looking forward to April 1. Until then I will be in constant panic. I'm driving my husband and my parents (who are helping us with the move) crazy.

Snooch, I worry about losing my husband too. :hug:

Upvote 0

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What sends me into anxiety/panic is mainly health worries...or thoughts of doing something wrong...or thoughts of going crazy. Distraction, watching something funny on TV, talking about it (I'll call my mom and tell her my issues, tell my husband I'm having problems, write snooch or another friend who has similar struggles), or reading some of my favorite anxiety articles helps. But if I'm too far into my vicious negative thoughts cycle I just have to wait it out and keep telling myself it will pass.

One thing I try really hard not to do is avoid what gives me fear. Unfortunately w/ the dr. and dentist I have put those off because my panic is so awful. But, other things I make myself do. I do public speaking at church and work, I play solos on my violin at church, I got to family parties, etc. Very few people know I have anxiety issues.

Hugs to you all!

Upvote 0

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What sends me into anxiety/panic is mainly health worries...or thoughts of doing something wrong...or thoughts of going crazy.

Similar here. Honestly, I don't know how I'll handle uni, being all alone amongst a couple thousand people.

A while back I was have a lot of discomfort with my head. Gradually I just started having these moments when, all of a sudden, it felt like someone was trying to lift my head off!

So I asked Google and it said,
BRAIN TUMOR, WILL ROBINSON! BRAIN TUMOR!

So yeah...that didn't make me feel much better.

Turns out it was my just my sinuses. Maybe I have allergies or something.

You guyz are lucky you have somebody there when you're having a panic attack! And I'm way to up about keeping my masculine illusion to confide in a roommate or friend.

My secrets safe with you guyz................right? :sorry:

Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
A while back I was have a lot of discomfort with my head. Gradually I just started having these moments when, all of a sudden, it felt like someone was trying to lift my head off!

So yeah...that didn't make me feel much better.

I should have added that to my list - never google medical symptoms when having panic about medical symptoms. Oh wow, I have SO been there! :D

You guyz are lucky you have somebody there when you're having a panic attack! And I'm way to up about keeping my masculine illusion to confide in a roommate or friend.

Of course! :hug:

And honestly, until I met my husband, I didn't have anyone to tell. Not a single soul. I lost a lot of friendships because I completely withdrew during my bad anxiety and panic, and friends thought I was blowing them off. It... kinda sucked.

I won't share how I dealt with all this when I was in college, since that's what you're most concerned about. It wasn't the healthiest of methods, though probably pretty typical on college campuses. :sorry:

Anyway. You're not alone, was my point.

Upvote 0

Nella Fantasia

Sin-Bound
Mar 9, 2005
Visit site
✟28,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing I try really hard not to do is avoid what gives me fear. Unfortunately w/ the dr. and dentist I have put those off because my panic is so awful. But, other things I make myself do. I do public speaking at church and work, I play solos on my violin at church, I got to family parties, etc. Very few people know I have anxiety issues.

That's awesome! I wish I could get into that mentality, but just the thought of forcing myself sends me into panic. I can't speak, can't walk, and my mind goes blank. How do you do it?

Command0182 said:

But at the moment you're confiding in us! Are we not people? :p

I get what you mean. The only one I've been able to personally talk to about my anxiety has been my husband. Unfortunately he's an extrovert, can walk up to complete strangers just because, hold a conversation, and make them laugh. And there I am...his shy little wife...trying to hide behind him. To him it's as simple as breathing; to me it's the hardest thing to accomplish. So even when I can talk to him about it, he doesn't understand why it's difficult for me. It usually ends with us becoming frustrated with each other.

Command0182 said:

You know...I was reading this, the irony struck me, and I was able to find the humor in my situation. Even if I wanted to talk about someone else's secrets (which I don't), I wouldn't be able to :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That is so me! You can't believe how many fatal diseases I've been convinced I've had but have been too scared to go to the dr. for (makes a lot of sense....not!). Aneuryms, brain tumors, all sorts of cancers, appendicitis is a frequent worry. I'm a nut. :p

I should have added that to my list - never google medical symptoms when having panic about medical symptoms.....

And honestly, until I met my husband, I didn't have anyone to tell. Not a single soul...

You're not alone, was my point.

You are so right, snooch. I stay away from looking up anything medical anymore. It seriously freaks me out too much. Oh, I forgot about West Nile Virus. That was another one I was sure I had. :doh:

Also, at first the only people that knew were my husband and parents (anxiety/depression/panic disorders run on BOTH sides of my family) because I've only had it really bad for about 3 years now. Recently I tried telling my best friend of many years and she just doesn't understand. She cannot comprehend it so I don't even try anymore. It helps to talk to my husband because he is my complete opposite. He doesn't worry about anything, nothing bothers him, nothing phases him. So when I'm freaking out he is a very calm voice of reason.

And the thing that helps me the most is realizing I'm not alone. Thanks you guys for all sharing!

That's awesome! I wish I could get into that mentality, but just the thought of forcing myself sends me into panic. I can't speak, can't walk, and my mind goes blank. How do you do it?

I understand what you're saying because the thought of forcing myself to go to the dr. for anything beyond something simple like a sore throat or cold does the same thing. It seriously sends me into awful panic. I don't like talking about it, I don't like writing about it. It's awful. But then there are other things like public speaking that terrify me but I just do it. I don't know what the difference is for me.

I've thought of going for counseling before because I think some things in my past have traumatized me (some car accidents I've been in, some deaths in my family, stuff like that) but I just never have.

Upvote 0

Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I won't share how I dealt with all this when I was in college, since that's what you're most concerned about. It wasn't the healthiest of methods, though probably pretty typical on college campuses. :sorry:
Ah it's okay, you can tell me.

You're not alone...
Thanks.

But at the moment you're confiding in us! Are we not people? :p
Yes but you're the warm fuzzy type. :p

I get what you mean. The only one I've been able to personally talk to about my anxiety has been my husband. Unfortunately he's an extrovert, can walk up to complete strangers just because, hold a conversation, and make them laugh. And there I am...his shy little wife...trying to hide behind him. To him it's as simple as breathing; to me it's the hardest thing to accomplish. So even when I can talk to him about it, he doesn't understand why it's difficult for me. It usually ends with us becoming frustrated with each other.
Yeah but, it's different with us guys. We can talk for hours without saying anything. All you have to do is, "uh, um, ugh, uh-uh". Basically talk like you've just been punched in the gut. If you can moan and groan you're about half-way there! :)
Edit: following this logic, and all guy BBQ would sound like, night of the living dead.

Thanks for being so understanding guyz! They should call this the childfree, panicy, anxious or anyone who feels like they need a hug and cookie sub-forum! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Nella Fantasia

Sin-Bound
Mar 9, 2005
Visit site
✟28,240.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you're saying because the thought of forcing myself to go to the dr. for anything beyond something simple like a sore throat or cold does the same thing. It seriously sends me into awful panic. I don't like talking about it, I don't like writing about it. It's awful. But then there are other things like public speaking that terrify me but I just do it. I don't know what the difference is for me.

I've thought of going for counseling before because I think some things in my past have traumatized me (some car accidents I've been in, some deaths in my family, stuff like that) but I just never have.

:hug:

I'd love to go to counseling because I believe that's the only thing that will really help. But how to go to counseling if you have a phobia of talking to people, especially about yourself? :doh:

Command0182 said:
Yes but you're the warm fuzzy type. :p

Well, I can punch you in the arm, and tell you to man up. But I don't think that will help...

(Will it?)

Yeah but, it's different with us guys. We can talk for hours without saying anything. All you have to do is, "uh, um, ugh, uh-uh". Basically talk like you've just been punched in the gut. If you can moan and groan you're about half-way there!
Edit: following this logic, and all guy BBQ would sound like, night of the living dead.

If I did this I'd end up looking more awkward and weird than I already am. Can you just imagine, a guy standing around talking to a group of people, and all of a sudden behind him you hear, "Ugh...Umm...Agh!"

Got any other advice? :D

Upvote 0

Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Got any other advice? :D

Honestly, when talking to guys, you need only do one thing, speak up. That's it. Just speak up and say it. Just say it so they can hear you. Half the time when I'm talking to somebody, it's just because I want to know something. As far as responses go, I'll put up with a lot of things as long as I can hear/understand it. Guys are more interested in information.

Er...well...you can tell I'm a 5 on the enneagram can't you? ;)

Upvote 0

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd love to go to counseling because I believe that's the only thing that will really help. But how to go to counseling if you have a phobia of talking to people, especially about yourself? :doh:

I just remembered something that has helped me with things and that is to have small goals that you have to accomplish. For example, when I started my new job a couple years ago I would cry every single night when I got him. I was totally overwhelmed, intimidated, and wanted to quit. My sister would give me a small task each day to complete. One day it was to tell my female trainer at worked that I liked either her shoes or her outfit. Another day it was just to say hi to someone I was passing in the hall. And another day it was to ask someone a question (the question could be anything I wanted, I think I asked my trainer about the dress code). It went on for about a week and then after that I was doing so much better and able to do things on my own.

Have you ever tried something like that? One thing that helped me about it is that I wasn't faced w/ trying to think up the task, my sister would tell me each morning before I left for work.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Just wondered.

How many of you struggle with OCD? Hand washing? How many of you have been able to tell someone that they actually get to live the show, Monk, almost every day?

I find for some reason I seem to get a little OCD about washing my hands. :/

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Epoh99

Veteran
Oct 28, 2005
✟9,683.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've always heard everyone is a little OCD to some degree. With me I was once told my negative thoughts that I keep thinking over and over are a mild form of OCD. I try not to think about it because that gives me something else to worry about....I hate worrying about worrying about OCD. :)

Do you guys ever feel super irritable like everyone and everything is bugging you. Sometimes I feel that way and it seems like along with it is an undercurrent of anxiety. For example, my husband always completes one part of his dinner before going to the next part (completely finishes the salad before eating his bread, eats all the bread then the chicken) and I like to eat a little bit of everything. Well tonight I was feeling so irritated that he was doing that. Then of course I start to worry about why I'm feeling irritated and start to feel overwhelmed. My goodness, I'm a nut. :)

Upvote 0

Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I'm only irritable when I'm panic-y. Like on Sunday eve, I cut myself on some metal. I got real panic-y because it wouldn't stop bleeding and I got all worried, irritable and snappy. It didn't last long though. But it kinda makes me worry how I'll handle living on my own at uni. That's my biggest worry. Here, at least if I fainted or something somebody would notice, but at uni...it's like...who do I call, where do I go?

I worry about what I'd do if something happened to me; I have a hard time asking for help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I definitely have OCD tendencies, if not outright OCD. I have little rituals I have to go through or I can't relax. Like before bed, I have a series of things in the kitchen I need to check to make sure they are "right" before I can go back to the bedroom. The drawers and cupboards need to be completely closed, no slight openings, the handle on the can opener has to be down all the way, the fridge and freezer doors have to be closed tightly enough that when I slightly tug on them they don't open easily, etc. I check all the door locks, even if I know they are locked. I check the alarm clock settings at least 3 times, even if/when I know it's set properly.

I do the repetitive negative thoughts too, and I have to break out of them or I'll go into a full panic attack.

And yeah, I get irritable when I'm having anxiety. We had an emergency with our dog over the weekend, my husband is under a lot of stress at work, and I was handling everything pretty well until we found out today that he would need to have (relatively minor) laser surgery on his eye to remove some scar tissue left over from a cataract lens replacement. When I found out about that, it was the one-too-many-things-to-handle and I got really irritable and annoyed about everything and everyone, just like you described Epoh.

Reactions: Rebekka
Upvote 0

snoochface

Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm only irritable when I'm panic-y. Like on Sunday eve, I cut myself on some metal. I got real panic-y because it wouldn't stop bleeding and I got all worried, irritable and snappy. It didn't last long though. But it kinda makes me worry how I'll handle living on my own at uni. That's my biggest worry. Here, at least if I fainted or something somebody would notice, but at uni...it's like...who do I call, where do I go?

I worry about what I'd do if something happened to me; I have a hard time asking for help.

There are always people around at college though. You'll have people in the dorms, RAs, roommates, and there will be someone there to know if something happened to you. :hug:

You will make friends. Trust me, you will. I am the most anti-social person I know, I have a tremendous amount of anxiety and insecurity in social situations, and I have lived in CA for a year without making a single friend -- but even I have started to form friendly relationships with people from our church group, and I think they will turn into actual friendships at some point.

If I can make a friend in this alien planet I moved to, you can make a friend at college. :hug:

Upvote 0