Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
You can't get fired for being pregnant in America, you silly Canadian.

There are seven states that have at-will employment (meaning employees can be fired with need for cause) without public policy exceptions. So they can be fired for whatever reason the employer wants. Also, what if the single mom has two or three part time jobs; she's even less protected then. Even if she doesn't get fired, she's in for an extended amount of time away from work that she cannot possibly afford.

Yes. It is a disgusting thought that one would have an abortion because life would be easier with out the child. That is disgusting.

The child hasn't been born yet. This is not about life being easier without the child. It's not even about life being easier without being pregnant. It's about a single mom with kids who is working to care for them and barely scraping by who will lose her job because of the pregnancy. What will happen to her and her kids then? Are you seriously saying a woman shouldn't get an abortion even if it means her and her existing kids will be homeless and starving?

Upvote 0

Boondock_Saint

Member since 2006.
Jun 16, 2015
Chicago-ish
✟11,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are seven states that have at-will employment (meaning employees can be fired with need for cause) without public policy exceptions. So they can be fired for whatever reason the employer wants. Also, what if the single mom has two or three part time jobs; she's even less protected then. Even if she doesn't get fired, she's in for an extended amount of time away from work that she cannot possibly afford.

The child hasn't been born yet. This is not about life being easier without the child. It's not even about life being easier without being pregnant. It's about a single mom with kids who is working to care for them and barely scraping by who will lose her job because of the pregnancy. What will happen to her and her kids then? Are you seriously saying a woman shouldn't get an abortion even if it means her and her existing kids will be homeless and starving?

Yes. That is what I am saying. And I still say it is disgusting for a woman to have an abortion just because she doesn't want the baby. I am thinking we will never agree you silly Canadian.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Yes. That is what I am saying. And I still say it is disgusting for a woman to have an abortion just because she doesn't want the baby. I am thinking we will never agree you silly Canadian.

She's not having an abortion because she doesn't want the baby! She's having an abortion because the pregnancy would cause her existing children to suffer needlessly. She might even want the baby. But she's got to make that sacrifice to ensure that her kids are taken care of.

We probably won't ever agree, but I don't get what being Canadian has to do with it. Or is that supposed to be an insult?

Upvote 0

Ariadne_GR

Creative Writer
Dec 10, 2010
Freedom
✟16,988.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Labor
Thank goodness law makers currently side with common sense and women's rights or there would be a bunch of botched back alley jobs resulting in women's deaths instead. If human life is so sacred to you, what about those women who would be dying unnecessarily because they could not get a legal and clean abortion performed by a professional? In which case your precious baby would be dying too.

People seem to assume abortion is always caused by sexual immorality. It can be of course and using it as a method of birth control has some serious issues involved. However, there could be other situations. A woman may be a married career woman, doesn't like or want kids, birth control failure causes pregnancy. What is she to do, emotionally and psychologically ruin her life by having said child she doesn't want? Have to take time off work due to morning sickness etc which could be career suicide depending on her field? The sensible thing to do would be to have it taken care of at the outset. Prolifers seem to think all abortions involve fetuses who can live. They can't. Most are done long before viability but logic doesn't make sense to prolifers. They only care about the baby being born, and that's as far as their caring goes. What happens after they could care less about.

Abortions were forced in the OT when a woman was suspected of adultery, it's there, whether you want to see it or not. (Numbers 5:27)

I have heard of many couples who have their minds made up that they do not want children and one of them wants to be sterilised as a permanent method of birth control. They then have to go from doctor to doctor in the hopes one of them will be able to assist, because archaic ideas in the medical profession abound. Apparently one can decide they want to get pregnant and they'll assist with that, but say the opposite and they wring their hands and waste time. Double standards!

More people who don't want kids should be using sterilisation as a method of birth control and doctors need to get their heads around that and not kick up a fuss every time. This would result in less abortions from that demographic at least.

Upvote 0

Wiccan_Child

Contributor
Mar 21, 2005
Bristol, UK
✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Making up scenarios as to whatever situation a woman might find herself in is ridiculous. The question here is this: Is abortion morally right. And if you are an atheist your morality is based on each individual atheist and if you are a Christian your morality is based on God's word. This will never be settled but only continued to be debated on.
Which is why Christians are universally and unambiguously agreed on the issue of abortion (and any other topic of controversy).

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Making up scenarios as to whatever situation a woman might find herself in is ridiculous. The question here is this: Is abortion morally right. And if you are an atheist your morality is based on each individual atheist and if you are a Christian your morality is based on God's word. This will never be settled but only continued to be debated on.

You make it sound as if basing morality on god's word is superior. History shows otherwise.

(It doesn't matter, though, since your idea about where atheist morals come from is totally wrong.)

Upvote 0

Ariadne_GR

Creative Writer
Dec 10, 2010
Freedom
✟16,988.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Labor
Which is why Christians are universally and unambiguously agreed on the issue of abortion (and any other topic of controversy).

:thumbsup:

*puts hand up* Christian and pro-choice. See, there can be diversity in a sea of many.

Reactions: Wiccan_Child
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟917,657.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Fortunately we do not base our laws on if you personally find them OK or not.

Reactions: Ariadne_GR
Upvote 0

Paradoxum

Liberty, Equality, Solidarity!
Sep 16, 2011
✟28,188.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Yes, I believe if your life doesn't depend on it, then the only reason a person would abort is because they don't want the baby. I am aware that rape and incest are terrible. I couldn't imagine what a woman would go through. But if the mother's life is not in jeopardy, why would she have an abortion. It all comes down to how much the mother wants the baby.

I don't understand why you would ask why the woman would have an abortion if you understand that rape is terrible.

The way the laws are set up, one can decide to abort simply because they don't want the baby even though their life does not depend on it. At that point it becomes an issue of convenience.

I doubt convenience is the right word, even for what you are trying to say. I doubt most abortions are done for a bit of comfort (which is what convenience is about). The problem isn't just that woman want to avoid the inconvenience of buying larger clothes, for example. There are real issues relating to ones life purpose and meaning, mental and physical well-being, liberty, quality of life, etc.

Getting an abortion just for convenience would seem to be wrong, though it should perhaps/probably be legal. By convenience I mean getting an abortion just because you are going on holiday, or because you have an event to you want to drink at coming up.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
wiremu.white,

Let me ask you a question: If someone needed an organ transplant to live, do you think the law should compel the citizens to give up a spare organ so that this someone could live?

No.

Along similar lines: if someone needs my money to survive or get by, does that entitle them to it? No (including the money necessary to fund an abortion, I might add.)

Or, do you think it should be a choice given to people whether to donate or not?

Yes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do you relate abortions and organ transplants? Mr. White, I think you may be stretching it a bit.

Think and express what you will, but could you at least grant me the courtesy of replying to my post where my post is located, rather than at the bottom of the thread?

Otherwise conversations get unnecessarily difficult to follow.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
No.

Along similar lines: if someone needs my money to survive or get by, does that entitle them to it? No (including the money necessary to fund an abortion, I might add.)

Yes.

If you think the law shouldn't compel people to use their body to keep others alive, then why should a woman be compelled to use her body to keep a fetus alive?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ariadne_GR

Creative Writer
Dec 10, 2010
Freedom
✟16,988.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Labor
Most mothers would not put their own safety ahead of their childrens born or not.

So you advocate for the mother in such a case to die during pregnancy or child birth. The idea that people with that mindset exist in the world is truly frightening.

Upvote 0

usexpat97

kewlness
Aug 1, 2012
Ecuador
✟76,839.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I am Christian but not female, so for the most part I have to defer to my Christian female counterparts on the abortion matter. The Bible says very little about abortion directly. However, I do feel strongly that the government should not have jurisdiction over either women's bodies or their families. It is too overreaching; and besides, the government is far too grossly incompetent at it. As cruel and wrong as infanticide can be, God entrusted that infant to the MOTHER--not the government. The mother has to give an account to God for how she treats that child. I am all in favor of abortion clinic protests, education, even mandatory education--I just don't favor government intervention. Which would include not making it illegal, but also no taxpayer-funded abortions.

Upvote 0