How did the prophets of the bible know God was speaking to them?

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am not creating this thread to question the bible. I dont doubt what the bible says is true. But, how did the people in the Bible who God gave revelations to (the prophets) know for sure that God was speaking to them and using them? Im not denying that they were true prophets-but what im saying is this.

A lot of false prophets have started religions and genuinely believe what they taught was the truth. But what they taught wasnt the truth, and God wasnt speaking to them. But God was speaking through and using the prophets of the bible (people like Abraham, Moses, Daniel, Ezekiel etc). How did those people know for sure that God was using them? Did they have an assurance that God was using them, that false prophets didnt have, and if so, what was it?

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not creating this thread to question the bible. I dont doubt what the bible says is true. But, how did the people in the Bible who God gave revelations to (the prophets) know for sure that God was speaking to them and using them? Im not denying that they were true prophets-but what im saying is this.

A lot of false prophets have started religions and genuinely believe what they taught was the truth. But what they taught wasnt the truth, and God wasnt speaking to them. But God was speaking through and using the prophets of the bible (people like Abraham, Moses, Daniel, Ezekiel etc). How did those people know for sure that God was using them? Did they have an assurance that God was using them, that false prophets didnt have, and if so, what was it?

You know it when it happens. I knew it instantly and I didn't even really believe in God at the time.

Also, look at the example of Mohammed. He met a demon in a cave and knew it was a demon and ran home to hide. His wife convinced him that it was an angel sent from God so he went back to listen and the rest is infamy. So, he knew the truth, but was betrayed by his wife's ambition and then became a false prophet.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

By coincidence, this popped up in my email today:How to Distinguish the Holy Spirit from the Serpent by Sinclair Ferguson | Ligonier Ministries Blog

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1. BY knowing the word of God and measuring the message to that word
2. By knowing God and being intimate with Him
3. By the HS, even in the OT the HS came upon people
4. By knowing His voice as in the sheep know my voice.
5. By whether or not they were right in previous times about the same voice their heard.
6. If still in doubt, a fleece would confirm in fact, God often gave a sign along with the message

the exact same way we know today.

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When God spoke to the prophets, they had visions in the night, or the heavens opened and they saw visions and heard God speak, or the angel of the Lord appeared to them...and yet many Christians say God spoke to them, that they heard a voice and believed it was him. I don't know what to say about that other than warnings, and would rather them work it out with God.

Upvote 0