How did happiness become the standard for a morally good life?

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think it is always important to consider sources of happiness. I think, on some level, we have to all acknowledge this idea that happiness must have some depth, and it mustn't come back to bite you in the behind.

A person who indulges in drugs, alcohol or sex for a season may get terrible consequences from these in the form of debilitating disease or mental anguish, addiction, etc.

It's important to consider that our actions are resulting in a true joy and a wholesome happiness and not in a base pleasure.

Tap your inner stoic.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Happiness is more than just a feeling; it's a state attained and held for its own sake. When we're happy we're basically content; we're where we want to be, or more precisely we will in such a way as to continually attain the state of becoming we have. Aristotle conceived of happiness as the good of all goods. Now, just because you're happy doesn't mean that whatever character you have is worthy of emulation. The real task isn't with just being happy, because anyone can be happy even for a long stretch of time -- that's why happiness has the slightly ominous morpheme "hap", which means "fortune". The only way that you're going to move beyond happiness in this fortunate sense is through the development of character, character being how you condition your will in a habitlike way.

Beautifully put.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
In the past, and the present for that matter, theologians have taught that all people desire happiness; it's a God-given aspect of our nature. And, if we're honest, who can deny this, who, of sound mind, would want to be unhappy? So God, according to this teaching, has always wanted the same for man; He just knows what the true source of human happiness is, while Adam, OTOH, thought he would find it-or more of it- elsewhere.

Our true source of happiness, that which we often look for in all the wrong places, without ever satisfying it, and perhaps doing a lot of harm to ourselves and neighbor in pursuit of it in those places, is God, Himself. "God, alone, satisfies", according to Aquinas. We're here to begin to learn that lesson, to grow in it's understanding and practice until we're able, perhaps only ultimately in the next life, to freely and fully embrace the first commandment, best explicated by the Greatest Commandment. Then our happiness will be complete, in ways we never even imagined it could, all by licit, moral, and non-fattening means. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the past, and the present for that matter, theologians have taught that all people desire happiness; it's a God-given aspect of our nature. And, if we're honest, who can deny this, who, of sound mind, would want to be unhappy? So God, according to this teaching, has always wanted the same for man; He just knows what the true source of human happiness is, while Adam, OTOH, thought he would find it-or more of it- elsewhere.
Hmmm. You have not surveyed Wesleyan Holiness theologians. They taught the exact opposite - if something made you happy it had to be sinful.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟328,589.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm. You have not surveyed Wesleyan Holiness theologians. They taught the exact opposite - if something made you happy it had to be sinful.
Great -heaven must just be an awesome place to spend an eternity then. Maybe hell shouldn't be so bad after all? Hail dourness! :)

Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟255,760.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
When choosing compassion, to take to heart, it should not involve taking in some broken glass or self harm or someone's anger or vindictiveness. No harsh correction, life instead. It is important that with choosing compassion and empathy that one also has happiness or, like Mother Theresa of Calcutta, you could lose your faith for working to hard on your own soul. Everything has to be balanced.

Upvote 0

SoulMiasma

Aug 30, 2015
✟15,258.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I certainly don't want to live an unhappy life! I don't want to be miserable. So I can see it to some degree. But on the other hand, I get how those people can be suspect. It should be a goal in life, but not a "whatever means possible."

Being dishonest and cruel as a means to happiness is wrong. Throwing important people down the drain is wrong. But simply pursuing happiness is fine, as long as you don't resort to horrible means to get the ends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AionPhanes

Jan 1, 2015
Michigan
✟18,174.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Many people beleive that virtuous** thought and behavior naturally leads to human flourishing and by extension can increase levels of happiness. While certain chemical imbalances can still effect the virtous and different people have differing base levels of happiness to work with I do believe their is some correlation between the two.

** Granted virtue does entail more than morality alone and includes things like mastery of the mind as well.

Upvote 0