How can the Pentecostal Forum be improved?

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Maybe avoiding the temptation to re-kindle numerous posts all at once could be a good start.

Though I do give you credit for at least trying. If the various church membership studies are correct, where both the Pentecostal and charismatic movements supposedly comprise the majority of Born Again believers, then it is certainly a shame that these two forums are as quiet as they are.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou 'Biblicist2''
You will have to pardon my earlier pun, I couldn't resist.
Do you know if there have been any formal discussions in the past regarding how the Pentecostal forum could be improved?

One of the problems with any type of open-membership forum such as CF, is that it can be hard to attract those who are well versed in a given theology. As there have been a number of massive inroads that Pentecostal theologians have made over the past three decades, we should certainly try and find ways of attracting these individuals; though most of them would probably be less than tolerant with the often silly questions that can be thrown our way.

If we could manage to raise the level of discussion above that of the pamphleteering of the 70's, where we could discuss the latest developments within the field of Pneumatology, then we would have a forum that would be second to none that many hundreds would find appealing.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You will have to pardon my earlier pun, I couldn't resist.
Do you know if there have been any formal discussions in the past regarding how the Pentecostal forum could be improved?

One of the problems with any type of open-membership forum such as CF, is that it can be hard to attract those who are well versed in a given theology. As there have been a number of massive inroads that Pentecostal theologians have made over the past three decades, we should certainly try and find ways of attracting these individuals; though most of them would probably be less than tolerant with the often silly questions that can be thrown our way.

If we could manage to raise the level of discussion above that of the pamphleteering of the 70's, where we could discuss the latest developments within the field of Pneumatology, then we would have a forum that would be second to none that many hundreds would find appealing.
Thankyou 'Biblicist2'. Appreciate your comments. I'm not aware of any formal discussions on how this forum could improve,but others might like to share on this. Yes,it would be good if the levels of discussion could be raised. We do need those who are able to make clear the Pentecostal/AOG teaching. But everyone can share at their own level and there are so many ways we can fellowship together. It is difficult when people from other persuasions give contrary opinions that are not applicable to this Pentecostal/AOG Forum.Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The timing of your thread has been interesting in that I'm becoming particularly frustrated with the so-called Charismatic forum as it seems that anyone can post there providing they call themselves a non-cessationist, where maybe their claim to the 'gift' of origami would be enough to let them jump on.

I'm starting to wonder if I should drop the charismatic forum altogether (other than with the teaching threads) and maybe keep to the Pentecostal forum.

I've certainly found the cessationists who often congregate on the charismatic forum to be useful, where we can often use their strange 'understanding' of the Full Gospel as a bouncing board where we can help other enquirers to come to a better understanding of the Word by allowing them to see the illogic of the cessationist worldview. Unfortunately there is a side effect with the presence of these confused cessationists, where they can have a detrimental effect on the forum, as many serious visitors will often see their opinions as being representative of the forum in general where this would be enough for them to stay away.

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At present in unconvinced it needs improving.
we are at times a tough crowd to deal with .
we hold fast to the thibgs of the spirit with a confidence born of experiential tangible blessing.

That is to say...the lord has promised things in his word and having believed we have tangibly recieved what he promises.

it is not improvment the forum needs bit participation.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
At present in unconvinced it needs improving.
we are at times a tough crowd to deal with .
we hold fast to the thibgs of the spirit with a confidence born of experiential tangible blessing.

That is to say...the lord has promised things in his word and having believed we have tangibly recieved what he promises.

it is not improvment the forum needs bit participation.
As the Pentecostal forum has about as much spiritual and numeric activity as a John MacArthur conference then almost anything would be an improvement. The problem with the charismatic forum is that it is akin to holding a MAC truck meeting where a bunch of kids (cessationists) insist on bringing along their Tonka toys for show and tell; the kids might think that it's wonderful but the adults would undoubtedly be less than impressed.

The benefit with the Pentecostal forum is that it would certainly allow the "tough crowd" to discuss the things of the Spirit at a deeper level, where I know that I would relish being able to discuss topics such as if the Baptism in the Holy Spirit is intended to be soteriological or of subsequence. If nothing else, people may not always change their opinions but the level of discussion could at least allow these same people to be a bit more conversant with the contemporary trends within Pentecostal and charismatic theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
yeh but some times you use words that are just too big for me lol :p
That's good to hear!
Believe you me, when I'm reading some of the heavier commentaries, I regularly find it helpful to have a device on hand where I can do a quick Google search on the many. . . often many terms that absolutely throw me. I can add to this by saying that over the past 12 months I have probably had at least three sizable books where I have had to go back and read some chapters maybe two or three times and some paragraphs up to maybe a dozen times before they can make any sense to me.

When I was (and still talk) about the differences between the soteriological and subsequent positions regarding the nature of the Baptism in the Holy Spirit and with how the divide is broken into either the Pauline or Lukan camps; I am well aware that this threw a lot of people as most local church leaders rarely delve into Pneumatology at this level. So for those who are either confused (or bemused) with the supposed differences between the Pauline and Lukan camps then if they want to spend some time looking into this fascinating area of discussion within Pentecostal and charismatic circles then they will undoubtedly be the better off for doing so.

If nothing else, it's always nice to know why we think what we think and when the opportunity arises we can be better apologetics amongst our circle of peers.

Reactions: quietbloke
Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
yeh but some times you use words that are just too big for me lol :p
I forgot to mention, my Spell checker absolutely hates me, where it almost goes into meltdown when I cut and paste information from a scanned commentary into Microsoft Word. The worst part about this is that I then have to do a Google search to find out how some of these words are supposed to be spelt.

Most spell-checkers are not all that well designed when it comes to theological language.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is certainly true that 'participation is what we need'. Each one sharing in a variety of ways their gifts and talents. There are so many things we can do together that are fun,as well as instructive and inspiring that will bless and help the hundreds that will soon be coming here. Let us be encouraged and trust and obey for greater things in the LORD our King!

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is certainly true that 'participation is what we need'. Each one sharing in a variety of ways their gifts and talents. There are so many things we can do together that are fun,as well as instructive and inspiring that will bless and help the hundreds that will soon be coming here. Let us be encouraged and trust and obey for greater things in the LORD our King!

Well they had a thread for "dreams" and visions that I liked but then for some reason CF must not of felt comfortable enough about it and shut it down. Not even sure its welcome here either. I love reading here and wish more would post, but perhaps there is just too small number of pentecost/assemblies that are on board here regulary.....and that could be a problem also if there are so few.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well they had a thread for "dreams" and visions that I liked but then for some reason CF must not of felt comfortable enough about it and shut it down. Not even sure its welcome here either. I love reading here and wish more would post, but perhaps there is just too small number of pentecost/assemblies that are on board here regularly.....and that could be a problem also if there are so few.
i see no problem with sharing dreams or visions that we have with one another ..i think perhaps a problem only arises when folks attempt to use their proclamation of the dream or vision to impose their will or view point on another .

my wife has recently had dreams which are serious of nature to say the least .. she saw the moon turned to blood and the sun darkened -not an eclipse she said it was like a dark burning coal.

just the other week she dreams of all the land rippling up in destruction and it stopped at her feet --these are catastrophic events she is having dreams about .i have little doubt as to thier message considering the "times " we now live in.

Upvote 0

CGL1023

citizen of heaven
Jul 8, 2011
Roswell NM
✟75,781.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How can this Pentecostal Forum improve?

An example of a format I appreciate is the Spirit-Filled/Charismatic forum; many post both there and and here. I like the idea of "discussion" and "teaching" options available as well as the opportunity to bring up personally inspired issues. (I suppose that could already be available to the Pentecostal Forum and I simply don't know about it.)

Upvote 0