How can I fight temptation?

BobEmmaHayes

Jan 1, 2012
✟15,132.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have spent almost all day searching every christian based website that I could think of and Googled every sentence that I could think of that involved what I am going through. I have not been successful in finding help, and as I was searching, I saw this website. I am hoping that someone here can help me.

So, about two and a half months ago, this wonderful, inspirational, Christian man that I have known for a few years now asked to hang out with me sometime. We then spent endless hours together and really got to know each other very well.
A few days after that, he asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes. We were doing very well in our relationship, until my 19th birthday.
You see, before he came into my life, I had gotten into a relationship that was not revolved around God like I wanted it to be, and me and this guy had gone very far in our relationship. And he also had a problem that was the same as mine, so we have both been exposed to certain sinful behaviors.
Back to my 19th birthday. After that, something happened where we had slowly started to creep back into past behaviors. It kills both of us to see this happening, because we both have such a passion for God. We talk and plan ways that we can fight these urges, and it works...For a little while. Then it all starts back up. I know that he, too, feels terrible for letting this despicable sin crawl into our, once faith filled relationship. We are now talking about finding a mentor or strong Christian couple that we can talk to weekly and have them help us deal with all of our problems.
I guess what I'm asking is, What are some ways that can help us stop, or at least limit, all of these sexual urges that we have been experiencing?

I Art Laughing

Dec 20, 2011
Alaska
✟2,386.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
What is it that you want? Not right now but in the future? You want a godly husband that is a strong leader and expresses his love to you in a Godly way?? If you are supposed to have a husband I'm sure that is the husband Christ has for you. Submitting to Him means that you will get his best for you. Wait on Him and He will provide for you everything you need, spiritually.

Not waiting on the Lord's provision means that you are taking things into your own hands. That means that YOU are in charge of the outcomes (the you who is a slave to sin). Are you that comfortable being in charge of your own life? How has that worked for you in your past?

Speaking from experience, if you start off down this path your are only hurting whatever future relationship you may have with this man. If he is GODLY you are setting him up for failure as a future husband, he will be less respect worthy in the long run and you will come to resent him for not being honorable now. If he is GODLY this might put a permanent wedge between him and GOD, do you want to live with a backslidden man for the rest of your life? If he isn't godly, he is just using you.

As Truthseeker said, it's about submitting your life to the plan of Jesus. He has better things in store for you than you do.

Too direct?

Upvote 0

alatir

Aug 1, 2007
✟15,712.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
It does not matter how spiritual or godly you are, you can't fight sexual temptation. It's just cant be done. I've experienced how true the biblical teaching is, lust is like a pit (Proverbs 23:27).

You both seem to be reasonable and quite mature believers. I think you can agree some boundaries in your relationship, like not meeting in private just by yourselves. This is where some mentoring couple or just bunch of friends can come for rescue as you could meet there with other people.

Upvote 0
Oct 11, 2008
-
✟9,187.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have spent almost all day searching every christian based website that I could think of and Googled every sentence that I could think of that involved what I am going through. I have not been successful in finding help, and as I was searching, I saw this website. I am hoping that someone here can help me.

So, about two and a half months ago, this wonderful, inspirational, Christian man that I have known for a few years now asked to hang out with me sometime. We then spent endless hours together and really got to know each other very well.
A few days after that, he asked me to be his girlfriend. I said yes. We were doing very well in our relationship, until my 19th birthday.
You see, before he came into my life, I had gotten into a relationship that was not revolved around God like I wanted it to be, and me and this guy had gone very far in our relationship. And he also had a problem that was the same as mine, so we have both been exposed to certain sinful behaviors.
Back to my 19th birthday. After that, something happened where we had slowly started to creep back into past behaviors. It kills both of us to see this happening, because we both have such a passion for God. We talk and plan ways that we can fight these urges, and it works...For a little while. Then it all starts back up. I know that he, too, feels terrible for letting this despicable sin crawl into our, once faith filled relationship. We are now talking about finding a mentor or strong Christian couple that we can talk to weekly and have them help us deal with all of our problems.
I guess what I'm asking is, What are some ways that can help us stop, or at least limit, all of these sexual urges that we have been experiencing?

Pray for help, Do what you can to limit your alone time together. Go on Group dates and don't be alone together. The feelings are not wrong only the timing of those feelings save it for marriage.

Upvote 0