Householder Christianity

S

SeventhValley

Is it impossible to be in the world but not of it. It seems to me more and more to truly be Christian you need to be a monastic or Amish.

The nations and the world belong to Satan but until Christs return only Christians belong to him(unless you are Calvinists :) ) it is truly depressing as most Christians are wordly influenced.

Is the earth lost?

Last edited:

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
He did. But not all can be hermits.

There is one saint who was recently canonized named St. Porphyrios (I don't know his "of..." title). He was a Greek monk who lived until... I want to say the 1980s. Anyway, he is a great example of one with a peaceful spirit and because of it thousands will probably be saved.
If I remember correctly he spent most of his pastoral life in Athens as a hospital chaplain. It has been a little while since I've read his life.

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

In the political thread it said we should fix ourselves first. We will not be perfect ever so maybe we should go to our little gated villages deep in the woods.

One non-denom Christian I know stopped using Facebook because it caused them to love humanity less. Maybe we would love society better by all becoming monastics.

Do Orthodox have married monastics?

Upvote 0
S

SeventhValley

He did. But not all can be hermits.

There is one saint who was recenttly canonized named St. Porphyrios (I don't know his "of..." title). He was a Greek monk who lived until... I want to say the 1980s. Anyway, he is a great example of one with a peaceful spirit and because of it thousands will probably be saved.
If I remember correctly he spent most of his pastoral life in Athens as a hospital chaplain. It has been a little while since I've read his life.

That is interesting. Sounds like a great guy.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,914.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The only way I see to a quiet spirit is to get away from people. Didn't Seraphim live in the woods?

for a large chunk of us this is periodic. not all are called to be monastics, but we can take weekends to go there and kinda get away from it all. I can say from experience that it really helps.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums