London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So we dont even know if the author is even referring to any biblical texts. He could be referring to Greek mythological stories for all that we know. Also, are you fine if when questioning the new testament texts that I ALSO reference texts outside of the New Testament, such as the Infancy gospel if I am trying to prove a point, or will you say that it does not count because it is not biblical?

i was just throwing it out there .. .. thing is you will never understand what the seed of the serpent is without knowing who the serpent is ...

Reactions: GTW27
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have had many Christians tell me that I cannot understand the bible because I don't have the holy spirit inside of me. I don't know if they they truly believe this, or if it is just a dishonest tactic to argue that my own interpretation can never be correct, & why their own opinion is the correct opinion. It seems to me to be a totally false premise, as how can anybody ever prove that their understanding of the bible comes from the holy spirit, & is not just their opinion, or an evil spirit.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that those Christians who have said what they've said to you truly believe what they said. When they do this, they probably think they're giving you the best, "most literal" reading of the sort of complicated epistemology that is found in the New Testament, as in for instance, what St. Paul states in his first letter to the Corinthians. Like many things in the New Testament, along with the Old, there are some things that are read by Christians in a miscontrued, socially or historically non-contextualized way. Of course, they'll never admit it and they'll insist, too, that they are "reading in context" all the while hammering those around them to concede to their reading. The paradox in this is that sometimes they may be right; but sometimes too they'll be dead wrong and not know it, all the while mystically subscribing their special reading to the power of the Holy Spirit.

However, I wouldn't let all of that fret you. None of what they're saying ultimately "means" that the Holy Spirit won't in some way also be helping you as you read, Lilith. As I look back to the time before I began to engage the Bible on a serious level, there were things I didn't understand the first time I read them and I had to keep studying and be open to further study and consider what different kinds of interpretations or explanations scholars had to give. There are still a number of things in the Bible that, to this day, I honestly can say: I don't know what that means, and I really doubt anyone else does either.

I don't think the litmus test ( or "proof" ) of hermeneutical discernment is whether or not we show that we've somehow magically "got it" the first time around, but rather, in the question: On self reflection, do we find ourselves willing to persevere or expand our understanding of what the Biblical writers might be trying to tell us?

Obviously, it appears you're here on CF because you're willing to persevere in your inquiry in order to understand. Of course, you'll be making your own decisions as to "what the TRUTH is" as you go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lilith2006
Upvote 0

clusium

Oct 6, 2023
Mississauga
✟8,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I am 17 & completely new to christianity. I was raised Jewish, but i am not very religious. Some christians have been telling me that there are prophecies in the old testament that are prophecies of Jesus. One of these is Genesis 3:15.

When I ask a christian to explain how the verse relates to Jesus, this is the type of explanation that i get:
"Actually it is about Jesus and Satan. The offspring of Eve is the lineage of Jesus. When it says he will bruise his heel means the Lord will go to the cross but live. But Satan will be crushed by the resurrection. He will eventually be cast into hell and like that burns with fire"

This explanation is NOT helpful in explaining how they arrived at this interpretation from the verse. I am looking for somebody who is prepared to listen to & answer my questions, instead of treating me like I am stupid just because I don't automatically see it the way that they see it.
Yes, Genesis chapter 3, verse 15 is the very first Messianic Prophecy in Sacred Scripture. No, the Woman mentioned here, is not Eve. Rather it is the Mother Of the Messiah, that is, Mary. The serpent was Satan, but, he had already deceived the first woman (Eve) at this point. Our Father Promised to Punish the serpent (aka 'Satan') by Sending His Son, Born of a Later Woman. This is confirmed in Revelation chapter 12, where St. John the Apostle has a vision of Mary Giving Birth to the Messiah, and how threatened the dragon (or serpent) is by Both the Messiah and HIs Mother. Throughout the entire chapter, the dragon feels threatened by the New Woman, and persecutes her vehemently, and by the conclusion of the chapter makes war with her and her Children (Christians).

Upvote 0

Lilith2006

Oct 25, 2023
Gold Coast
✟1,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
i was just throwing it out there .. .. thing is you will never understand what the seed of the serpent is without knowing who the serpent is ...
IF the serpent is Satan, your claim, WHO is Satans seed? I have never read of Satan having any children.
Genesis 3:15 clearly states that Eves descendants (mankind) will have enmity towards the serpents descendants, NOT towards the actual serpent that deceived Eve. So who are the descendants of Satan that we are supposed to have enmity towards?

Why isn't Satan described as a Serpent elsewhere in the Old Testament, where you can ACTUALLY recognize that they are definitely referring to Satan? In Job 2 for example, the author could have written: 2 On another day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan [the Serpent] also came with them to present himself before him. 2 And the Lord said to Satan, “Where have …
There are definitely other verses in the Bible where a Serpent is referred to that is definitely NOT Satan, so there is no evidence in the old testament that Satan is a Serpent, which is your contention. There is Genesis 49:17 as an example, where the serpent mentioned is definitely NOT Satan. There is also the story in Exodus, where the staff is turned into a serpent in front of the Pharoah. This is definitely referring to the staff being turned into a snake, not turning the staff into a Satan!

So I am sorry, you have not convinced me that the serpent in the garden of Eden is anything other than a snake. You just don't have any firm evidence. It is more of a case of you WANTING to see the Serpent as Satan, so you have convinced yourself that it is, & now you are trying to justify your belief by looking for any verse that could possibly mean Satan, but the evidence is not strong that any of the verses in the bible (old test.) do. You have even had to go outside of the biblical texts to try to find support for your argument, which is not a good sign that you have a strong case.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
IF the serpent is Satan, your claim, WHO is Satans seed? I have never read of Satan having any children.
Genesis 3:15 clearly states that Eves descendants (mankind) will have enmity towards the serpents descendants, NOT towards the actual serpent that deceived Eve. So who are the descendants of Satan that we are supposed to have enmity towards?

Why isn't Satan described as a Serpent elsewhere in the Old Testament, where you can ACTUALLY recognize that they are definitely referring to Satan? In Job 2 for example, the author could have written: 2 On another day the angels came to present themselves before the Lord, and Satan [the Serpent] also came with them to present himself before him. 2 And the Lord said to Satan, “Where have …
There are definitely other verses in the Bible where a Serpent is referred to that is definitely NOT Satan, so there is no evidence in the old testament that Satan is a Serpent, which is your contention. There is Genesis 49:17 as an example, where the serpent mentioned is definitely NOT Satan. There is also the story in Exodus, where the staff is turned into a serpent in front of the Pharoah. This is definitely referring to the staff being turned into a snake, not turning the staff into a Satan!

So I am sorry, you have not convinced me that the serpent in the garden of Eden is anything other than a snake. You just don't have any firm evidence. It is more of a case of you WANTING to see the Serpent as Satan, so you have convinced yourself that it is, & now you are trying to justify your belief by looking for any verse that could possibly mean Satan, but the evidence is not strong that any of the verses in the bible (old test.) do. You have even had to go outside of the biblical texts to try to find support for your argument, which is not a go

not only will you not understand what the seed of the serpent is, but neither will you understand what the seed of the women is or how it relates to Christ in us ...

Upvote 0

Lilith2006

Oct 25, 2023
Gold Coast
✟1,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
not only will you not understand what the seed of the serpent is, but neither will you understand what the seed of the women is or how it relates to Christ in us ...
How do I know that YOU understand it? If you understand it, why didn't you answer the questions? It sounds like the sort of answer somebody would give when they don't know the answer, but want to convey the impression that they do.

I know who the seed of Eve is, it is all descendants of Eve, which is all of mankind including you & me. I have no idea who the descendants of Satan are supposed to be.

The verse also states that only Eve will be in enmity with THAT particular serpent, & that particular serpent will have enmity with Eve only. Presumably that serpent is long dead, along with eve.

Upvote 0

Lilith2006

Oct 25, 2023
Gold Coast
✟1,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I'm pretty sure that those Christians who have said what they've said to you truly believe what they said. When they do this, they probably think they're giving you the best, "most literal" reading of the sort of complicated epistemology that is found in the New Testament, as in for instance, what St. Paul states in his first letter to the Corinthians. Like many things in the New Testament, along with the Old, there are some things that are read by Christians in a miscontrued, socially or historically non-contextualized way. Of course, they'll never admit it and they'll insist, too, that they are "reading in context" all the while hammering those around them to concede to their reading. The paradox in this is that sometimes they may be right; but sometimes too they'll be dead wrong and not know it, all the while mystically subscribing their special reading to the power of the Holy Spirit.

However, I wouldn't let all of that fret you. None of what they're saying ultimately "means" that the Holy Spirit won't in some way also be helping you as you read, Lilith. As I look back to the time before I began to engage the Bible on a serious level, there were things I didn't understand the first time I read them and I had to keep studying and be open to further study and consider what different kinds of interpretations or explanations scholars had to give. There are still a number of things in the Bible that, to this day, I honestly can say: I don't know what that means, and I really doubt anyone else does either.

I don't think the litmus test ( or "proof" ) of hermeneutical discernment is whether or not we show that we've somehow magically "got it" the first time around, but rather, in the question: On self reflection, do we find ourselves willing to persevere or expand our understanding of what the Biblical writers might be trying to tell us?

Obviously, it appears you're here on CF because you're willing to persevere in your inquiry in order to understand. Of course, you'll be making your own decisions as to "what the TRUTH is" as you go.
All I can say is, the more that I have discussed Genesis 3:15 with other Christians on here, the less evidence I see for their interpretation, & the more evidence I see for the simple explanation, that its just a story about why man dislikes snakes.

It might be tempting to read more into the story than what there actually is, because many will think that its just too simple a story to read it as it actually reads, so there must be more to it. Even Orthodox Jews may fall for that trap. But every explanation I have seen here brings more questions than any explanation answers. The most glaring question is, why did God allow Satan into the garden of Eden in the 1st place? Was God not powerful enough to prevent Satan from entering, the garden, or did God deliberately allow it so that Adam & Eve would be deceived, & Satan would ensure the downfall of mankind?

If the 2nd option is the case, then all of mankind are just pawns in a silly game between God & Satan, just as Job was.

Upvote 0

clusium

Oct 6, 2023
Mississauga
✟8,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How do I know that YOU understand it? If you understand it, why didn't you answer the questions? It sounds like the sort of answer somebody would give when they don't know the answer, but want to convey the impression that they do.

I know who the seed of Eve is, it is all descendants of Eve, which is all of mankind including you & me. I have no idea who the descendants of Satan are supposed to be.

The verse also states that only Eve will be in enmity with THAT particular serpent, & that particular serpent will have enmity with Eve only. Presumably that serpent is long dead, along with eve.
It is not the seed of Eve, but rather, the Seed of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Seed Is the Messiah. The Woman whom God Has Made the Enemy of the serpent is the Mother Of the Messiah. Remember, Satan has already deceived Eve at this point. Therefore, she is not the Promised Enemy. This does not mean that Our Father Did not Forgive Eve. Just that she is not the Woman whom the serpent will eternally hate!!

Upvote 0

Lilith2006

Oct 25, 2023
Gold Coast
✟1,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
It is not the seed of Eve, but rather, the Seed of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The Seed Is the Messiah. The Woman whom God Has Made the Enemy of the serpent is the Mother Of the Messiah. Remember, Satan has already deceived Eve at this point. Therefore, she is not the Promised Enemy. This does not mean that Our Father Did not Forgive Eve. Just that she is not the Woman whom the serpent will eternally hate!!
The main part of the question was who is the seed of Satan? What children (descendants) did Satan have?

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, I am 17 & completely new to christianity. I was raised Jewish, but i am not very religious. Some christians have been telling me that there are prophecies in the old testament that are prophecies of Jesus. One of these is Genesis 3:15.

When I ask a christian to explain how the verse relates to Jesus, this is the type of explanation that i get:
"Actually it is about Jesus and Satan. The offspring of Eve is the lineage of Jesus. When it says he will bruise his heel means the Lord will go to the cross but live. But Satan will be crushed by the resurrection. He will eventually be cast into hell and like that burns with fire"

This explanation is NOT helpful in explaining how they arrived at this interpretation from the verse. I am looking for somebody who is prepared to listen to & answer my questions, instead of treating me like I am stupid just because I don't automatically see it the way that they see it.

Hi Lilith, why do you say the word seed refers to all of the offspring?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
All I can say is, the more that I have discussed Genesis 3:15 with other Christians on here, the less evidence I see for their interpretation, & the more evidence I see for the simple explanation, that its just a story about why man dislikes snakes.

It might be tempting to read more into the story than what there actually is, because many will think that its just too simple a story to read it as it actually reads, so there must be more to it. Even Orthodox Jews may fall for that trap. But every explanation I have seen here brings more questions than any explanation answers. The most glaring question is, why did God allow Satan into the garden of Eden in the 1st place? Was God not powerful enough to prevent Satan from entering, the garden, or did God deliberately allow it so that Adam & Eve would be deceived, & Satan would ensure the downfall of mankind?

If the 2nd option is the case, then all of mankind are just pawns in a silly game between God & Satan, just as Job was.

Except for the fact that snakes don't talk, and the one in Genesis not only talked but stood upright like some kind of 'raptor.' (scare-quotes placed on purpose). ;)

So, there are these literary nuances (literary devices?) present to kind of indicate we're not exactly dealing with a historical narrative as we would think of it today ...

Of course, whether or not the auther (Moses?) really thought a talking, walking serpent had really existed is another matter ...

... or he was alluding to the mascots of other, pagan myths (i.e. non-Israelite) of the time by which to make a point?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

clusium

Oct 6, 2023
Mississauga
✟8,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The main part of the question was who is the seed of Satan? What children (descendants) did Satan have?
Those who choose to willfully reject God and go their own way. Ie: Adolf Hitler was of the seed of the serpent; Josef Stalin was of the seed of the serpent; Pol Pot was of the seed of the serpent.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's a funny thing, but in your approach, you seem to sound a lot like Alan M. Dershowitz in his overall appraisal of the book of Genesis.

Upvote 0

Butch5

Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Homer Georgia
Visit site
✟308,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The seed of Satan are those who oppose God.

31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; 32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. 33 They answered him, We be Abraham’s seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free? 34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. 35 And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. 36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. 37 I know that ye are Abraham’s seed; but ye seek to kill me, because my word hath no place in you. 38 I speak that which I have seen with my Father: and ye do that which ye have seen with your father. 39 They answered and said unto him, Abraham is our father. Jesus saith unto them, If ye were Abraham’s children, ye would do the works of Abraham. 40 But now ye seek to kill me, a man that hath told you the truth, which I have heard of God: this did not Abraham. 41 Ye do the deeds of your father. Then said they to him, We be not born of fornication; we have one Father, even God. 42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me. 43 Why do ye not understand my speech? even because ye cannot hear my word. 44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. 45 And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not. 46 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Jn 8:31–47.

In this passage, Jesus acknowledges that these Jews are the physical seed of Abraham. Yet, He also seems to question it. He says, "if you were Abraham's children." So, they were physically Abraham's children but Jesus is alluding to something else when questions it based on their actions. Abraham was a friend of God. These Jews were opposing God. Jesus brought them a message from God and they opposed him, thus they were opposing God. We see this warning from the Pharisee Gamaliel.

33 When they heard that, they were cut to the heart, and took counsel to slay them. 34 Then stood there up one in the council, a Pharisee, named Gamaliel, a doctor of the law, had in reputation among all the people, and commanded to put the apostles forth a little space; 35 And said unto them, Ye men of Israel, take heed to yourselves what ye intend to do as touching these men. 36 For before these days rose up Theudas, boasting himself to be somebody; to whom a number of men, about four hundred, joined themselves: who was slain; and all, as many as obeyed him, were scattered, and brought to nought. 37 After this man rose up Judas of Galilee in the days of the taxing, and drew away much people after him: he also perished; and all, even as many as obeyed him, were dispersed. 38 And now I say unto you, Refrain from these men, and let them alone: for if this counsel or this work be of men, it will come to nought: 39 But if it be of God, ye cannot overthrow it; lest haply ye be found even to fight against God. 40 And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Ac 5:33–40.

Jesus says if they were really Abraham's children, they would do the deeds of Abraham. They weren't doing those deeds; they were opposing Jesus. He calls them the children of their father, the devil. They weren't the physical seed of the devil; however, their hearts were wicked like that of the devil. They were opposing God like the devil has.

29 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because ye build the tombs of the prophets, and garnish the sepulchres of the righteous, 30 And say, If we had been in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets. 31 Wherefore ye be witnesses unto yourselves, that ye are the children of them which killed the prophets. 32 Fill ye up then the measure of your fathers. 33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
34 Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes: and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city: 35 That upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the temple and the altar. 36 Verily I say unto you, All these things shall come upon this generation.
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! 38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate. 39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Mt 23:29–39.

Here Jesus shows how the Jews had repeatedly opposed God down through history. God sent prophet after prophet and the Jews tormented and killed them. Notice His reference to serpents and vipers. He' not just calling them snakes, He's calling them vipers. A viper is a venomous snake, it's poisonous and deadly. Jesus is equating these Jews with being poisonous and deadly. They claim to be representing God, but they're actually opposing Him. They did to Jesus just as they had done to the prophets.

In modern times we tend to use the word generation of those all living at the same time, ie the younger or older generation. However, here, Jesus is using it to describe a class of people. Those who are wicked. He says the blood of all of the righteous, the prophets and wise men, slain will be required of the wicked.

The seed of the woman. This is a reference to man. Satan would bruise man's heal but man would crush his head. Down through time there had been no man that could destroy Satan. However, one day there would be a man who could resist and defeat Satan. That man would be Jesus the Christ. A man who never sinned. As hard as he tried Satan could not get Jesus to sin. Unlike the rest of mankind, Satan held no sway over Him. Satan did bruise His heal, at the Crucifixion. And Jesus, crushed Satan's head, destroyed him , at the Resurrection.

17 Now I urge you, brethren, note those who cause divisions and offenses, contrary to the doctrine which you learned, and avoid them. 18 For those who are such do not serve our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly, and by smooth words and flattering speech deceive the hearts of the simple. 19 For your obedience has become known to all. Therefore I am glad on your behalf; but I want you to be wise in what is good, and simple concerning evil. 20 And the God of peace will crush Satan under your feet shortly.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

The New King James Version (Nashville: Thomas Nelson, 1982), Ro 16:17–20.

Paul says as long as these Christians would continue in the teaching they had learned God would crush Satan under their feet. Notice the references back to Genesis 3:15. Satan being crushed under their feet and the serpent having his head crushed. Crushed and feet are referenced in both instances. I think it's pretty clear that Paul referring back to Genesis 3:15.

Jesus became the seed of the woman. Paul tells us that Jesu was in the form of God and that He emptied Himself and took on the form of man.

5 For unto the angels hath he not put in subjection the world to come, whereof we speak. 6 But one in a certain place testified, saying, What is man, that thou art mindful of him? or the son of man, that thou visitest him? 7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands: 8 Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him. 9 But we see Jesus, vwho was made a little lower than the angels vfor the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man. 10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. 11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren, 12 Saying, I will declare thy name unto my brethren, in the midst of the church will I sing praise unto thee. 13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me. 14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; 15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. 16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. 17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. 18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Heb 2:5–18.

5 You should have the same attitude toward one another that Christ Jesus had, 6 who, though he existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be grasped, 7 but emptied himself by taking on the form of a slave, by looking like other men, and by sharing in human nature. 8 He humbled himself, by becoming obedient to the point of death—even death on a cross!

Biblical Studies Press, The NET Bible, Second Edition. (Denmark: Thomas Nelson, 2019), Php 2:5–8.

We can see from these passages that Jesus, the Son of God, became man so that He could destroy the works of the devil, the serpent. Satan held death over man and Jesus came as a man to destroy death and him who held it.

We are told in Scripture that Jesus was conceived by the power of God.

26 And in the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God unto a city of Galilee, named Nazareth, 27 To a virgin espoused to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin’s name was Mary. 28 And the angel came in unto her, and said, Hail, thou that art highly favoured, the Lord is with thee: blessed art thou among women. 29 And when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and cast in her mind what manner of salutation this should be. 30 And the angel said unto her, Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favour with God. 31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end. 34 Then said Mary unto the angel, How shall this be, seeing I know not a man? 35 And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Ghost shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God. 36 And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren. 37 For with God nothing shall be impossible. 38 And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her.[1]

[1] The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), Lk 1:26–38.

Jesus was not conceived by man, but rather by God. He was not conceived by man’s seed, but rather by God He is the Seed of the Woman. Thus, Satan is defeated by the seed of the Woman.

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

i am unpacking ( so to speak ) Genesis 3:15 as i stated in my first post .... here is a verse which speaks to it, understanding this cenario is all playing out in Adams/mans mind/garden and is aplicable to every son of God... who we all are .....

because the mind of the flesh is hostile/at emnity to God: It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.

there is no mention of Eve in Gen 3:15 ... adding to scripture only serves to take away from it ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Lilith2006

Oct 25, 2023
Gold Coast
✟1,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Except for the fact that snakes don't talk, and the one in Genesis not only talked but stood upright like some kind of 'raptor.' (scare-quotes placed on purpose). ;)

So, there are these literary nuances (literary devices?) present to kind of indicate we're not exactly dealing with a historical narrative as we would think of it today ...

Of course, whether or not the auther (Moses?) really thought a talking, walking serpent had really existed is another matter ...

... or he was alluding to the mascots of other, pagan myths (i.e. non-Israelite) of the time by which to make a point?
I agree that the original serpent in Genesis 3:1 Talked, however there is nothing to suggest it walked upright though it may have, or walked on all fours. The story is to explain why snakes have no legs & slither on the ground & why there is enmity or fear of man toward snakes. It's a simple creation myth about snakes, & also why man has to work so hard to survive, as well as why women experience painful child birth. I don't believe there is any deeper meaning than that.

Upvote 0

clusium

Oct 6, 2023
Mississauga
✟8,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I agree that the original serpent in Genesis 3:1 Talked, however there is nothing to suggest it walked upright though it may have, or walked on all fours. The story is to explain why snakes have no legs & slither on the ground & why there is enmity or fear of man toward snakes. It's a simple creation myth about snakes, & also why man has to work so hard to survive, as well as why women experience painful child birth. I don't believe there is any deeper meaning than that.
Except that not all men & women hate or fear snakes. Some keep them as pets. Also, while venom is poisonous, paradoxically, it can also be used as medicine.

Upvote 0

Lilith2006

Oct 25, 2023
Gold Coast
✟1,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
i am unpacking ( so to speak ) Genesis 3:15 as i stated in my first post .... here is a verse which speaks to it, understanding this cenario is all playing out in Adams/mans mind/garden and is aplicable to every son of God... who we all are .....

because the mind of the flesh is hostile/at emnity to God: It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.

there is no mention of Eve in Gen 3:15 ... adding to scripture only serves to take away from it ...
God is talking to Eve & the serpent, so the author of the story would expect the reader to understand that God is referring to Eve, when he says woman. I think you are reading too much into it.

Aren't YOU the one who is adding to scripture, by insisting the serpent is Satan, & that the story is predicting jesus? Aren't you being a bit hypocritical here by suggesting that I am the one who is adding to scripture, when I am referring only to the characters in the story, & you are wanting to add additional characters to the story that aren't mentioned, or even implied?

Upvote 0

Lilith2006

Oct 25, 2023
Gold Coast
✟1,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single

God is talking to Eve & the serpent, so the author of the story would expect the reader to understand that God is referring to Eve, when he says woman. I think you are reading too much into it.

Aren't YOU the one who is adding to scripture, by insisting the serpent is Satan, & that the story is predicting jesus? Aren't you being a bit hypocritical here by suggesting that I am the one who is adding to scripture, when I am referring only to the characters in the story, & you are wanting to add additional characters to the story that ren't mentioned, or even implied?

Upvote 0

Lilith2006

Oct 25, 2023
Gold Coast
✟1,715.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Except that not all men & women hate or fear snakes. Some keep them as pets. Also, while venom is poisonous, paradoxically, it can also be used as medicine.
I dont think that around the time the story was written many people would be keeping snakes as pets & they were living in a desert environment where the vast majority of snakes encounterd would have been poisonous. We know a lot more about snakes today than back then. You are making the mistake of putting your modern understanding onto an ancient culture who thought very differently to today's culture.

Upvote 0