House GOP Members Kill Bid to Honor Pioneering Florida Judge with Courthouse Name

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟833,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
In a bitterly divided Congress, it was a rare measure that had been expected to sail through without a fight.

A bill to name a federal courthouse in Tallahassee, Florida, after Justice Joseph W. Hatchett, the first Black man to serve on the Florida Supreme Court — sponsored by the state’s two Republican senators and backed unanimously by its 27 House members — was set to pass the House last month and become law with broad bipartisan support.

But in a last-minute flurry, Republicans abruptly pulled their backing with no explanation and ultimately killed the measure, leaving its fate unclear, many of its champions livid and some of its newfound opponents professing ignorance about what had happened.

Asked what made him vote against a measure that he had co-sponsored, Rep. Vern Buchanan, R-Fla., was brief and blunt.

“I don’t know,” he said.

The naming of federal buildings is among the more mundane tasks that Congress undertakes, and it is usually a consensus matter. In the Senate, it is often accomplished without debate or even a recorded vote, which is how that chamber passed the measure to honor Hatchett in December. In the House, it is typically considered under a fast-track process reserved for uncontroversial matters that limits debate and requires a two-thirds majority for passage. [Enough Republicans voted no to prevent it reaching that level.]

• Prayers
Reactions: DaisyDay

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟833,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Maybe they're upset about the new federal SCOTUS black justice.

The actual [?] reason is almost more dumb. Justice Hatchett ruled a case in accordance with an existing Supreme Court precedent.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟833,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

“He voted against student-led school prayer in Duval County in 1999,” said [Rep Andrew] Clyde, a deacon at his Baptist church in Bogart, Georgia. “I don’t agree with that. That’s it. I just let the Republicans know that information on the House floor. I have no idea if they knew that or not.”

Clyde said a legislative aide had unearthed the 1999 ruling while vetting the courthouse naming bill, and he made sure to share it with his colleagues before the vote.

Some Democrats noted that in the decision in question, Hatchett had followed the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1992 decision in Lee v. Weisman regarding student prayer in public schools.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟434,346.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
GOP is getting ridiculous. Not just one silly congressperson here or there. You can always find those on either side of the isle. But now its the majority.

Not sure where it will end. Their constituents seem to demand it.

Upvote 0

metal-prism

Monastic Creature
Dec 8, 2021
The Desert
✟19,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Maybe they're upset about the new federal SCOTUS black justice.
I love how everyone keeps falsely accusing them of this, rather than the most obvious, logical reason, which is her policies.

Ironically, the people who bring up race the most with the intention of slandering others, tend to be the ones with the hidden prejudices.

Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0