Visit site
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel like such a kid when I type this out, let alone when I say it out of my mouth..

I was watching a movie earlier before I headed to work, not sure what the movie was to be honest. I probably knew this for a long time, it was just one of those moments of clarity... but it made me realize: I'm looking for a Hollywood Romance.

You know, the one where I live in LA and I meet this really great guy. Things are awesome and we hit it off and then a bit down the road, we get in a big fight and I leave. And then he runs after the taxi I ride off in, meets me where we first met, and tells me what a jerk hes been and that he's sorry. Cue sappy music, happy ending, ride off into the sunset, thee end.

I mean, REALLY? How did any of you single women (or single men) get that idea out of your head?! How do you let that go?

Maybe I watched too many chick flicks growing up...

T

toastface_grillah

I'm too much of a realist (and probably too cynical) to get that idea. Hollywood excels at selling us stories of how life isn't - sometimes how we wish love - and life would be, and sometimes how we're glad life isn't (any dark noir movie), because one of the oldest tenets of contemporary storytelling is that audiences always like a happy ending.
I won't give it away, but the ending of Chasing Amy, if you haven't seen it, doesn't quite follow the typical Hollywood pattern.
Real life is always different. Messier. Less... serendipitous sometimes.

Upvote 0

SavingCady

Be still and know that I am God.
Apr 15, 2012
Waterloo, IA, USA
Visit site
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
....life helped me let that go....

It's not like I've had an amazing life, I've had a bunch of rough spots, too, and met enough jerks to satisfy me until the end of days. So, how exactly, did "life" help you let that go?

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sure, it's kind of fan to fantasize about a true hollywood romance happening to you, but I don't really believe in it. Lol. I'm sap for a lot of the old classic films (okay, okay, it's all I watch), especially the romances, but again...I'm taken in by it. I too am quite a realist.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anewday

This girl is on fire.
Apr 24, 2010
Golden Coast
✟30,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not like I've had an amazing life, I've had a bunch of rough spots, too, and met enough jerks to satisfy me until the end of days. So, how exactly, did "life" help you let that go?

I've been in several relationships where he did not go after me, but instead, met and married someone else. And, relationships are a lot more than hoping he'll go after you, which again, took me awhile to realize :doh:.

Upvote 0

SavingCady

Apr 15, 2012
Waterloo, IA, USA
Visit site
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I've been in relationships, I know they are a lot more than that. I've had my fair share of broken hearts, yada yada, but still there is this small part of me inside that no matter how much I try to push down or block out, still hopes for that ridiculous romance.

Upvote 0

SavingCady

Apr 15, 2012
Waterloo, IA, USA
Visit site
✟7,710.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Next time you watch those movies, just watch them with a really insensitive (or a really realistic) guy. He'll make sure to remind you how fictitious they are :p

Haha :) I love this comment.

Upvote 0