Here's my problem, I believe in evolution, and it brings up doubts especially in the OT...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
Then I will put the question to you.... what did he say before, or after, these statements that can change their content or their meaning? They are complete thoughts.

Already addressed that.

What Patterson could have said, and exactly what he was saying in context, is that we shouldn't assume that transitional fossils are direct ancestors of any living species. Transitional and ancestral are two different things. As described by Darwin:

"In looking for the gradations by which an organ in any species has been perfected, we ought to look exclusively to its lineal ancestors; but this is scarcely ever possible, and we are forced in each case to look to species of the same group, that is to the collateral descendants from the same original parent-form, in order to see what gradations are possible, and for the chance of some gradations having been transmitted from the earlier stages of descent, in an unaltered or little altered condition."
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/origin/chapter6.html

Therefore, transitional fossils inform us of what was happening at the actual split between lineages, but are not to be used as the actual ancestors.

Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Lulav

Y'shua is His Name
Aug 24, 2007
✟494,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married