Help a new Presbyterian!!!

What should I do about my icon (read story first)?

• Keep it Protestant

• Switch to Presbyterian

• Switch to Calvinist

Results are only viewable after voting.

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
pjw said:
if you call yourself a 'calvinist', then take up the teachings of the ever-virginity of Mary, the Sabbath as a type of Christ, the Lord's Supper as a mystical partaking of the Body and Blood of Christ, &c. &c. &c.

Oh, I see. Kid with attitude who thinks that he can tell an entire branch of the confessing church that they are wrong and should, because they prefer the theological distinctive "Calvinist" to distinguish themselves from the many false gospels, hetetical beliefs, and heterodox doctrines, follow blindly the beliefs of one fallible man.

Why don't you tell the entire Lutheran denomination that they are wrong for taking the name of Luther.
Why don't you tell the entire Baptist denomination that they are wrong for taking the name of John.
Why don't you tell the entire Presbyterian denomination that they are wrong for taking the title Presbyter (elder).
Why don't you tell the entire Episcopalian denomination that they are wrong for taking the title "bishop."

BTW, to what denomination do you belong which is causing division in the church? Why don't you go and tell your own elders that they are causing factions within the body of Christ and should repent of their errors and rename the denomination simply as "Christian." Good luck, BTW, if you succeed, with separating your denomination from the many heretical and blasphemous churches that claim the name "Christian."

You may now have the last word on my thread, kid.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
edb19 said:
ok - to clarify, no I don't call myself by the name of a fallible man (other than my husband's last name;)). Calvinist might well be a synonym for Reformed - but as I see it, when I refer myself as Reformed I'm making a distinction based on many men's and many years of correct Scriptural interpretation. While my pastor would tell you that both he and I are Calvinist, he rarely uses the term either. Most members of my church feel as I do, we don't refer to ourselves by a man's name.

Preferences are fine. I just don't think that any doctrinal distinctive rises to the level of 1 Co 1.

I use the name because it says something doctrinally about what I believe, just as some doctrines bear the name of their most famous defenders:

Augustinian Traducianism (of which I believe)
Pelagianism (of which I deny)

For instance, if I say that I'm Reformed, most people just look at me funny and ask "What's that."
If I say I'm a wicked 5-point Infralapsarian Covenant leaning Traducianist Partial Pretereist Amillennialist Presbyterian I'm still going to get funny looks. But, at least I've pretty much wrapped up my major soteriology, eschatology, church government, & sacramentology for anyone who knows what those terms mean.

BTW, I'm glad you liked to take your husbands name. As a man and a husband, I think every good wife should do that. :D

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gabriel said:
Congratualtions, brother! You have come home.

If I have, then I have not come all the way home. You see, and I'm studying the issue with my churches leadership, I'm not completely sold on the infant baptism portion of Covenant Theology. If they can convince me that paedoBaptism is the correct view, then I might qualify as an elder.

As is, I'm just having fun.

Gabriel said:
I suggest using the Tulip and sporting the PCA avatar. That's what the cool people are doing these days.

Cool people, huh!

P.S. you know that you have joined a Calvinist denomination when, shortly after taking your vows and joining the church, the first one up to be baptized is named "Augustin Calvin ******." (Honest Woody!)

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh, I see. Kid with attitude who thinks that he can tell an entire branch of the confessing church that they are wrong and should, because they prefer the theological distinctive "Calvinist" to distinguish themselves from the many false gospels, hetetical beliefs, and heterodox doctrines, follow blindly the beliefs of one fallible man.

Why don't you tell the entire Lutheran denomination that they are wrong for taking the name of Luther.
Why don't you tell the entire Baptist denomination that they are wrong for taking the name of John.
Why don't you tell the entire Presbyterian denomination that they are wrong for taking the title Presbyter (elder).
Why don't you tell the entire Episcopalian denomination that they are wrong for taking the title "bishop."

BTW, to what denomination do you belong which is causing division in the church? Why don't you go and tell your own elders that they are causing factions within the body of Christ and should repent of their errors and rename the denomination simply as "Christian." Good luck, BTW, if you succeed, with separating your denomination from the many heretical and blasphemous churches that claim the name "Christian."

You may now have the last word on my thread, kid.
ok. for starters, please don't call me kid. i don't know if you commonly call everyone under 18 that in the United States, but calling a 17 year old "kid" happens to be pretty rude in Australia.
secondly, i see nothing wrongs with labels for an individual's particular religious beliefs. however, i have a problem with labels named after a mere fallible man. and yes, i do have a problem with a church being called Lutheran, it is quite ridiculous. i read a little rhyme the other day from the reformation, and it went something like, they call me a lutheran, a name i have no right to bear, for luther did not die for me, (can't remember the rest. lol.)
yes, i admit, my denomination is probably causing division in the church. however, this is because the founding minister was ejected from his previous denomination, and not through any fault of our own. in fact, we're working with other denominations to try and work towards unity, although not compromise. in australia we have several denominations which all teach and worship in exactly the same way, yet are divided over minor issues.
our church chose its name, and it has no mention of the name of any mere man in it. unfortunately, it also does not mention the name of Christ. however, our theological beliefs are clearly stated with things such as "reformed in doctrine and worship" on church signs.
i'm sorry to have derailed your thread, i didn't realise some people could be so rude over such a minor issue. if you wish to use the calvinist icon, that's fine. i won't make any more fuss over it.

Upvote 0

Gabriel

I Once Was Lost, But Now Am Found
Oct 10, 2002
FL
Visit site
✟19,059.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
CCWoody said:
If I have, then I have not come all the way home. You see, and I'm studying the issue with my churches leadership, I'm not completely sold on the infant baptism portion of Covenant Theology. If they can convince me that paedoBaptism is the correct view, then I might qualify as an elder.

http://thirdmill.org/worship/qa_answer.asp/file/qna193.qna

Upvote 0

Erinwilcox

Delighting in His Goodness
Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
pjw said:
what Paul goes on to say is, was Paul crucified for you? were you baptized in the name of Paul? what appears to have been happening was some people were 'paulites' and others 'peterites' and others 'appolossites' and others 'non-denominational.' some were saying they followed the teachings of paul, others the teachings of peter, others the teachings of apollos, and others the teachings of Christ alone, and each deriding the other as not having the true faith. Paul goes on to say, Is Christ divided? was i crucified for you? were you baptized in my name? uh uh. Christ is not divided. we belong to Christ and His Church, not to some mere man. the reason we should follow a teaching is because Christ taught it in His Word, not because Calvin taught it. if Calvin faithfully expounded a teaching of Christ, then very well, follow what he said on that teaching. however, if you call yourself a 'calvinist', then take up the teachings of the ever-virginity of Mary, the Sabbath as a type of Christ, the Lord's Supper as a mystical partaking of the Body and Blood of Christ, &c. &c. &c.[/QUOTE]

Good Grief!!! :mad: I don't know any Roman Catholic who would call himself a Calvinist or any Calvinist who would ever consider calling himself a Roman Catholic. Your ideas of Calvinism are false. I don't know where you got your teaching on Calvinism, but I would suggest that you stop using them because they've got problems. No Calvinist would EVER say that Mary remained a virgin forever (they would combat it), or agree to Transubstantiation (didn't you read the Reformation Day Polka :doh: ?). If they did, then they would be branded as heretics.

Reactions: Jon_
Upvote 0

Imblessed

Reformed Baptist with a Quaker heritage
Aug 8, 2004
Ohio
✟10,256.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
After reading all the posts, I voted "switch to presbyterian"

For me personally, the calvinist badge covers tulip but not necessarily the other views of presbyterianism.

I think you are well known in this forum as a calvinist!

I get the feeling though that you are leaning strongly towards taking up the Calvinist badge......which would be fine also.

I really don't have a strong preference one way or other, but thought I'd throw in my .02 cents worth since every one else is!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Erinwilcox said:
Good Grief!!! :mad: I don't know any Roman Catholic who would call himself a Calvinist or any Calvinist who would ever consider calling himself a Roman Catholic. Your ideas of Calvinism are false. I don't know where you got your teaching on Calvinism, but I would suggest that you stop using them because they've got problems. No Calvinist would EVER say that Mary remained a virgin forever (they would combat it), or agree to Transubstantiation (didn't you read the Reformation Day Polka :doh: ?). If they did, then they would be branded as heretics.

He was referring to the fact that Calvin himself still clung to the idea of the Mary's virginity. It took a while for the Reformers to completely shed Roman superstition and get things back on track.

That just goes to show you that we Calvinists aren't followers of Calvin, but use the name because we are not embarrassed to make our doctrinal distinction visible for the whole world to see. Sadly, once upon a time before Calvin, we were simply referred to as Christian, but that name has lost nearly all meaning. When you look at the US, my country, nearly 80% of people claim to be Christian, including a thousand and one cults. So, what does it mean to be Christian to an outsider. Well, it means that you have this feel good belief that good people go to heaven to be with this omnibelevelont happy clappy god.

Even the title Evangelical, which was once exclusively a reference to Reformers, has lost nearly all meaning.

Ah, but call yourself a Reformer.
Call yourself a Calvinist.

Now, that still means something. And the real scream is that Arminians on the "other" forum are all dying to call themselves Calvinists. It really is a cool name to have.

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Imblessed said:
For me personally, the calvinist badge covers tulip but not necessarily the other views of presbyterianism.

Unfortunately, even though I have no problems with the Presbyterian form of church government, I really am not yet a paedoBaptist at heart. I haven't been firmly convinced, yet. But, the Presbyterians are working on me.

Imblessed said:
I think you are well known in this forum as a calvinist!

I get the feeling though that you are leaning strongly towards taking up the Calvinist badge......which would be fine also.

I really don't have a strong preference one way or other, but thought I'd throw in my .02 cents worth since every one else is!

Like I said in my original post, I will take whatever my Calvinist brethren vote for me.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You Might be a Calvinist if...

[1] You are sure God has never done this... :idea: or :eek: or :scratch: .

[2] You believe that from eternity some are predestined to be made :holy: .

[3] You believe that spiritually dead people respond to the gospel with a defiant :p rather than a repentant :sorry: :help: .

[4] Your response to the suggestion that we sing one more verse of verse of Just as I Am is :sick: .

[5] Your favorite flower is
Calvinist.gif

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Gabriel said:

Thanks, brother. My question concerning the piece would be: Why does a NT gentile believer (me) need to act and operate like an OT Hebrew or even an NT Hebrew? IOW, it does seem to me as if a NT era Jew would STILL expect that the covenantal sign of inclusion in the visible community of God be circumcision and that Baptism would have a certain significance to certain washing ceremonies of the OT. As a Gentile being grafted into the visible community of God and also the invisible and spiritual nation of God, I would not be under the same requirements just as we see played out over and over as the dynamic between the Jews who converted to Christ and the Gentiles who were troubled by them to keep the ceremonial law.

I have seen over and over the argument from paedoBaptists that it would seem odd for the sign and seal, which included infant males of the OT, be excluded from infants of the NT Jews who believe. I agree. But, where is the argument from Scripture that the Jews saw that the sign and seal change, which in my mind would have required a change in the ceremonial law? It does seem as if such a significant change would have some note in the Scriptures.

BTW, after watching and discussing the topic, it does seem as if Presbyterians practice 2 types of Baptism, even if it is viewed as one Covenant baptism. There is a believers type of baptism, though not the believers baptism of the credoBaptists, and there is non-believers baptism (covering infants and others in the new believer's household).

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
drstevej said:
You Might be a Calvinist if...

[1] You are sure God has never done this... :idea: or :eek: or :scratch: .

[2] You believe that from eternity some are predestined to be made :holy: .

[3] You believe that spiritually dead people respond to the gospel with a defiant :p rather than a repentant :sorry: :help: .

[4] Your response to the suggestion that we sing one more verse of verse of Just as I Am is :sick: .

[5] Your favorite flower is
Calvinist.gif
Guess I'm not a Calvinist, then. Maybe I'll head over to OBOB. Anyone want my tulip?

So I'm having trouble with a couple of concepts. :sigh: I'm sure if Calvinism is really correct, God will clear it all up.

Upvote 0

Erinwilcox

Delighting in His Goodness
Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
CCWoody said:
He was referring to the fact that Calvin himself still clung to the idea of the Mary's virginity. It took a while for the Reformers to completely shed Roman superstition and get things back on track.

That just goes to show you that we Calvinists aren't followers of Calvin, but use the name because we are not embarrassed to make our doctrinal distinction visible for the whole world to see. Sadly, once upon a time before Calvin, we were simply referred to as Christian, but that name has lost nearly all meaning. When you look at the US, my country, nearly 80% of people claim to be Christian, including a thousand and one cults. So, what does it mean to be Christian to an outsider. Well, it means that you have this feel good belief that good people go to heaven to be with this omnibelevelont happy clappy god.

Even the title Evangelical, which was once exclusively a reference to Reformers, has lost nearly all meaning.

Ah, but call yourself a Reformer.
Call yourself a Calvinist.

Now, that still means something. And the real scream is that Arminians on the "other" forum are all dying to call themselves Calvinists. It really is a cool name to have.

Any way that you could pm me the post that you had before you had to edit it? I'd like to know what it said :p . Oh, but you forgot to say that though the Arminians are dying to call themselves Calvinists, none of them will dare to admit that they are Arminians!

I forgot. Thanks for making my day with that other reply that you made in this thread. If you think hard enough, you will know which one that I mean. I laughed so hard at that and the response that was written to it that I had tears in my eyes. It was so funny!

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Erinwilcox said:
Any way that you could pm me the post that you had before you had to edit it? I'd like to know what it said :p . Oh, but you forgot to say that though the Arminians are dying to call themselves Calvinists, none of them will dare to admit that they are Arminians!

All I did was add the very last part about Arminians dying to call themselves Calvinists. I think their exact phrase is "I am a Calvinist after the tradition of Arminius."

Erinwilcox said:
I forgot. Thanks for making my day with that other reply that you made in this thread. If you think hard enough, you will know which one that I mean. I laughed so hard at that and the response that was written to it that I had tears in my eyes. It was so funny!

Yeah, I think I know the one. Glad to help. ;)

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
drstevej said:

How about:

[4] If I come forward and tell Jesus I find him acceptable can we skip the 30th and deciding verse of "Just as I Am?" I'm really starting to get hungry.

Upvote 0