Help a new Presbyterian!!!

What should I do about my icon (read story first)?

• Keep it Protestant

• Switch to Presbyterian

• Switch to Calvinist

Results are only viewable after voting.

edie19

Legend
Site Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
NW Ohio (almost Michigan)
Visit site
✟91,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Augustine_Was_Calvinist said:
Now here's a scary scenario I have actually witnessed in an Arminian church.

The preacher gives and order to lock the doors, so that no one gets out until a satisfactory number have answered the altar call.

Pssst, don't tell anyone, but usually a grandmother or mother who has Sunday lunch to finish fixing gets her husband or someone to walk the aisle so they can get out of there.;)

I can top this one. Now, I wasn't there (and have never attended the church I'm going to discuss), but one of my church brothers has a friend who attends a non-denominational, charismatic, arminian church (I'm being kind here - I've seen the pastor on t.v. and think he borders on heresy). His friend related that one Sunday they were taking a special collection for the pastor's birthday. Supposedly the doors of the sanctuary were locked until they got the amount they wanted.

Now, I can't swear to the veracity of this story - but from what I know of the church in question, I believe it.

Upvote 0

A New Dawn

God is bigger than the boogeyman!
Mar 18, 2004
Raxacoricofallapatorius
Visit site
✟119,554.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
CCWoody said:
The Divine Service of the Holy Altar Call
I. The Preface

The Evangelist shall say: “Poor, helpless Jesus has been knocking on the door of your heart for so long, wanting so badly to come in.”

II. The Uncomfortable words

“If you’ve been putting off this decision, remember that you could walk out this door after the service and get hit by a truck”.

III. The Prayer of Consternation

“Oh, Lord Jesus, if there’s anyone in this room who’s never gotten saved by saying the Sinner’s Prayer and inviting You into their heart, vouchsafe to remind them that this could be their only chance.”

IV. The Sursum Handus

“I want every head bowed, every eye closed, no one looking around. Nobody’s going to see you if you slip up that hand. If you’ve never asked Jesus to come into your heart and be your personal Lord and Saviour, you’re on your way to Hell. So slip up that hand. I see that hand. Yes, I see that hand, too.”

NOTE, that the organist, in the event the Evangelist has not finished his plea by the time she has played sixteen stanzas of “Just As I Am”, shall continue playing something very slowly while he pleads.

V. Benedictus Qui Venit (Blessed Is He That Cometh Down the Aisle)

“If you want Blessed Assurance that you’ll go to Heaven when you die — If you want to be there When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder — you just come forward as we sing the seventeenth and final stanza of “Just As I Am.”
So, do Reformed/Presbyterians say the sinner's prayer? Doesn't the sinner's prayer contradict the TULIP?

I remember going to a church service with my grandparents (who are Brethren) to a camp called Red River Valley when I was a kid. They had a church service in the evening that had an altar call, and they asked us to raise our hands if we wanted to be saved. I know my grandmother opened her eyes because she kept nudging me. :sorry:

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
JimfromOhio said:
I didn't vote since I didn't see "Christian".

Sorry. My poll; my choices. Had I opened it to every icon choice, the Catholics might have just decided to be funny and vote to give me a strange icon. And, I think there are more of them than us. ;)

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
pjw said:
just a question. why do non-denominational have their own denomination icon??

Actually denominational icon is probably not the best title. It is more a icon denoting one's faith group affiliation.

I am a member, pastor and elder in a non-denominational congregation. So that icon fits me.

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Actually denominational icon is probably not the best title. It is more a icon denoting one's faith group affiliation.

I am a member, pastor and elder in a non-denominational congregation. So that icon fits me.
but if you're truly non-denominational, won't you just have a Christian icon? as far as i can tell, non-denominational is just another denomination.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A denomination usually has a formal affiliation with other congregations. Our congregation does not have any formal affiliation with other congregations.

I could use a Christian icon, but fact is my congregation has hisorically described itself as non-denominational.

You may consider that a one congregation denomination and that's OKy Dokie by me.

Upvote 0

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
pjw said:
but if you're truly non-denominational, won't you just have a Christian icon? as far as i can tell, non-denominational is just another denomination.
"Non-denominational" frequently refers to Protestant congregations that are not official members of organized denominations. That is, non-denominational churches are those congregations that do not answer or interact in an official capacity with any other form ecclesiastical government. "Non-denominational" is not a denomination, it is a label for congregations that do not belong to any specific denomination.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Non-denominational" frequently refers to Protestant congregations that are not official members of organized denominations. That is, non-denominational churches are those congregations that do not answer or interact in an official capacity with any other form ecclesiastical government. "Non-denominational" is not a denomination, it is a label for congregations that do not belong to any specific denomination.
too true.
unfortunately, sometimes it also refers to unorthodox groups who regard themselves as the only true church, &c. &c. for example, we have in tasmania a group called the Church of Christ (nondenominational), who are in fact nothing but another denomination.
fortunately, a lot of nondenominational churches stand up staunchly for the truth, and contain some wonderful Christians.
i apologize, i didn't realise the point of the little icons, i thought they referred to the denomination you were a part of, not what you believed. i was wondering why they had non-denominational and calvinist icons, now i know.

Upvote 0

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
pjw said:
too true.
unfortunately, sometimes it also refers to unorthodox groups who regard themselves as the only true church, &c. &c. for example, we have in tasmania a group called the Church of Christ (nondenominational), who are in fact nothing but another denomination.
fortunately, a lot of nondenominational churches stand up staunchly for the truth, and contain some wonderful Christians.
i apologize, i didn't realise the point of the little icons, i thought they referred to the denomination you were a part of, not what you believed. i was wondering why they had non-denominational and calvinist icons, now i know.
We have a few denominations here in the states that call themselves "Church of Christ" as well. Of course there's the Mormon church (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), but also the United Church of Christ, Churches of Christ, etc. For the most part, I have no idea where the latter two stand, doctrinally.

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Upvote 0

Erinwilcox

Delighting in His Goodness
Site Supporter
Sep 13, 2005
Maryland
Visit site
✟27,827.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Dancing.gif
Go Woody! Go Woody!
Dancing.gif

http://www.christianforums.com/t2265861-help-a-new-presbyterian.html&page=7#

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Cajun Huguenot

Cajun's for Christ
Aug 18, 2004
Cajun Country
Visit site
✟4,779.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I am a Calvinist and a Presbyterian but I have a Protestant icon.

Here is why. The Presbyterian Cross is closely associated to the PCUSA and I am PCA. I have not figured out what the Calvinist icon is. The sheild is plain enough, but what is the green section?

In Christ,
Kenith

Upvote 0

Jon_

Senior Veteran
Jan 30, 2005
California
✟18,616.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Cajun Huguenot said:

Here is why. The Presbyterian Cross is closely associated to the PCUSA and I am PCA. I have not figured out what the Calvinist icon is. The sheild is plain enough, but what is the green section?

In Christ,
Kenith
Uhhh... folliage? :sorry:

Soli Deo Gloria

Jon

Upvote 0

CCWoody

Voted best Semper Reformada signature ~ 2007
Mar 23, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟8,255.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Cajun Huguenot said:

In Christ,
Kenith

I don't know, Kenith. I have gotten the impression that the Presbyterian Cross would not completely distinguish me from the PCUSA. Anyway, the deed is now done. I am officially a Calvinist in the PCA.

Upvote 0

HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cajun Huguenot said:

In Christ,
Kenith

The Calvinist icon is a white cross over a red tulip. The green is the stem and leaf of the tulip.

Upvote 0