✟31,731.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Wiccan_Child said:
Perhaps, but that's hardly an argument for theism, is it? We want to know what is, not what feels good. It's all very well and good pretending to the blind and infirm that there is some magical hereafter where all their dreams come true, but that doesn't tell us whether it actually exists.
Just keep your feet on the ground and don't fly high by making the religion ( the belief in the Creator ) like seeing superman flying with bags he bought from the supermarket. Religion is not the magical supernatural world because we as humans don't have these supernatural powers to recieve a message to guide us how to make salad with a magical stick.
I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Let's discuss what athiesm is:
Sure: atheism is where one lacks belief in the existence of deities. This can be further qualified as Strong atheist (where one also actively affirms the non-existence of deities) and Weak atheism (where one remains neutral to both positions).

Some people get Weak atheism confused with agnosticism, but whatever.

Wiccan_Child said:
You forget that these theories have to be thought up in the first place. Where do you think the Einsteinian model of spacetime came from?

I have never seen Einstein in person and I have never talk to him. Why do you want me to believe in anything he said. He is a human and humans make mistakes the same way they did when they made us believe that
Indeed, but humans also get things right. We made a mistake when we thought that everything orbits the Earth, but scientific advances gave us the correct model: the planets orbit the Sun, etc.

You lament the ability of humans to know anything, but you yourself use the knowledge of humans every single day. Even writing this post required you to use human knowledge. Are you a hypocrite, or simply a Devil's advocate?

Pluto is no longer a planet after decades in deception of trusting the sources of information which we took from humans who always make mistakes.
Scientists: Pluto not a planet - Space.com- msnbc.com
Oh please, no mistake was made. Advances in the detection of planets has lead international bodies to redefine the word 'planet'. Kept as it was, we would have hundreds of 'planets' orbiting the Sun.

Who do you think proposed the redefinition? Human scientists. Who discovered Pluto and other celestial bodies in the first place? Human scientists. No mistake was made: Pluto still exists.

That's not to say scientists never make mistakes. Indeed, the strength of science is mercilessly scrutinising its theories to find mistakes and flaws, thereby becoming even more reliable and accurate.

And we also don't forget their talent in writing the wrong prescription for patients and the medical mistakes they do in hospitals that cause us our lives.
Yes, we've established that humans make mistakes. Anyone who says otherwise needs a reality check. But what's your point? Just because humans make mistakes doesn't mean they always make mistakes.

How do you want me to believe in the unguranteed while you can't creat a new animal or a flower without counting on the original created one.
You blamed us for believing in the beautiful world that you yourselves have no clue about how to create a new Earth for humans. It is not about what you already found but it is about what you create.
Why is it? We may not be able to recreate the event ourselves, but there is more than enough evidence to convince us that it occurred.

Can you create an atom? No? Then how can you believe they exist?

Wiccan_Child said:
I disagree. When I say I believe in something, I'm saying I think it exists, or I think it's true. You say you believe in angels, and God. Why?

Because my logic goes beyond what I see and what I feel. When I found this beautiful Earth works in harmoney without any human interfering to change the harmoney or to write their own notes, I knew that there is One Power to dominate it " The Orchestra has one leader not two".
And why do you think nature is the dominant power while it is the example we take for harmoney. When anything has the ultimate power, it isn't affected by weak powers.

Right, I'll just nod and pretend I know what you're on about.

Why can't you control the universe/ space/ other planets?
Because I'm effectively a bag made of protein filled with water. There's only so much I can do. Isn't that a bit obvious?

Why are planets different?
Because planets aren't formed under exactly the same conditions with exactly the stame constituents, nor are their environments exactly the same. Asteroids could tilt some 90°, but might spin others up, or might miss others altogether.

Why nature didn'r create anything new from the time we knew about it?
It has. We've seen countless new species emerge naturally in the wild, accidentally in man-made environments, and deliberately in the lab.

Why the harmoney still exist although we are more aware of the world around us and have tools to change the world by destroying it?
Why humans can't do anything good to nature unless they use the same harmoney the world is in?
What harmony are you talking about, exactly?

Why when humans create something new they never build but they destroy? But they don't see the results untill the coming generations admit that their ancestors made a mistake.
Because humans are selfish, idiotic, and short-sighted. What's your point?

Wiccan_Child said:
I do not believe the first human was a statue of clay. I don't even believe there was a first human at all.
So, what are you then? For sure not the first nor the last.
And please don't tell me that humans are monkeys.
Because for centuries monkies are still monkies and scientists never record any developments in their nature to become humans.
Oh Lord.
Humans are monkeys (there, I said it). So are Chimps, Gorillas, and all the rest. Evolution requires that monkeys stay monkeys. If monkeys turned into anything other than monkeys, then that would disprove evolution.

The ultimate irony is that, if giraffes turned into walruses, then Creationists would be obliged to believe in evolution, and evolutionists would be obliged to give it up.

Upvote 0

JudaicChristian

Feb 21, 2009
✟2,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If in almost every religion, it is clearly pointed out that if you don't follow their path, you're going to 'hell' (if you will). So, it doesn't really matter, everyone's going to 'hell' anyway.
Not that I believe in hell, I'm just pointing it out.
Views?

There is no hell. The words in scripture were not correctly translated into English. The joining of the Pagan religion about hell is a Catholic invention.See Holman Bible Dictionary at: HELL - Holman Bible Dictionary on StudyLight.org

The number of times "Hell" appears the in text of English Bible Translations.

Bible Translations
Old Testament
New Testament
Total
"Authorized" King James Version
New King James Version
American Standard Version
New American Standard Bible
Revised Standard Version
New Revised Standard Version
Revised English Bible
New Living Translation
Amplified
New International Version (best-selling English Bible)
Darby
New Century Version
Wesley's New Testament (1755)

Scarlett's N.T. (1798)

The New Testament in Greek and English (Kneeland, 1823)

Young's Literal Translation (1891)
Twentieth Century New Testament (1900)

Rotherham's Emphasized Bible (reprinted, 1902)
Fenton's Holy Bible in Modern English (1903)
Weymouth's New Testament in Modern Speech (1903)

Jewish Publication Society Bible Old Testament (1917)

Panin's Numeric English New Testament (1914)

The People's New Covenant (Overbury, 1925)

Hanson's New Covenant (1884)

Western N.T. (1926)

NT of our Lord and Savior Anointed (Tomanek, 1958)

Concordant Literal NT (1983)

The N.T., A Translation (Clementson, 1938)

Emphatic Diaglott, Greek/English Interlinear (Wilson, 1942)

New American Bible (1970)
Restoration of Original Sacred Name Bible (1976)
Tanakh, The Holy Scriptures, Old Testament (1985)

The New Testament, A New Translation (Greber, 1980)

Christian Bible (1991)
World English Bible (in progress)
Original Bible Project (Dr. James Tabor, still in translation)

Zondervan Parallel N.T. in Greek and English (1975)

Int. NASB-NIV Parallel N.T. in Greek and English (1993)

It was the bias of the translators that have established it in scripture.

The Hebrew word “Sheol” Should have been translated as “grave”.
The Angle Saxon word “hel” meaning to bury. It is more than a mistranslation it a premeditated deliberate assault on scripture to introduce the Teutonic pagan word.

Tar-ta-rus (tart rs) [[ Gr Tartaros ]] Gr. Myth. 1 an infernal abyss below Hades, where Zeus hurls the rebel Titans, later a place of punishment for the demons and devils not people. (mentioned only once in the Bible)

Ha-des (hadez) [[Gr Haides ]] 1 Gr. Myth. a) the home of the dead, beneath the earth b) the god of the underworld 2 Bible the state or resting place of the dead: name used in some modern translations of the New Testament

She-ol (eol) [[Heb shaal , to dig]] a place in the depths of the earth conceived of as the dwelling of the dead Note: translated in KJV about half of scriptures as hell, the other half as grave

Matthew 5:22
But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell (Gehenna) fire.

Gehenna is the garbage dump outside the city of Jerusalem.

It is true that our bodies return to the dust, and our spirits go to live with the Father. But what about the condemed? Do they also (go or return) to live with our Father. Or are they cut off from the living? It is true that God will bring the condemed back to life, as a part of their punishment. The word "fire" and other words like it, are often used parabolically to mean judgement. We do not worship a God who is without mercy or who tortures people for all eternity.

John 5.

28. "Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29. and come out—those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned.

And that is why Jesus said that both body and spirit could be destroyed in gehenna.

The concept of Hell is part of the Pagan religion. In the K.J.V. of the Old Testament the Hebrew word sheol means "grave." Also other words are not translated, but the interpretation "Hell" is given. Thats why in the N.I.V. you dont see the word Hell in the Old testament. The reason you see the word Hell in the new testament, is because it was introduced into scripture by the Catholic Church. However, there is death of the body and spirit. Our bodies are mortal, and our spirits are mortal. And if God never called us back into being, we would never live again.
The INTERPRETATION "hades or gehenna" is in the K.J.V. You will not find the word "hades" in the N.I.V. Old Testament, however you will find the word "hades" in the N.I.V. New Testament as an INTERPRETATION for "grave."

Upvote 0

humblemuslim

I am busy currently. Will be less active soon.
Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
For the time being I believe hell is a frame of mind induced by our own preferences in this life.

We are all going to return to God in the end. Whether we like that or not depends on how we prefer to behave... :wave:

Consider this simple analogy many of us can relate to:

You live with your parents. You enjoy doing things they forbid. Solution: Move out and you are happy and get to do whatever you want.

What happens if you go broke and have to move back in? You are miserable.

Extrapolate the idea and you have hell.

Upvote 0

hikersong

Walkin' and Singin'
Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
✟9,973.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Consider this simple analogy many of us can relate to:

You live with your parents. You enjoy doing things they forbid. Solution: Move out and you are happy and get to do whatever you want.

What happens if you go broke and have to move back in? You are miserable.

Extrapolate the idea and you have hell.

So, are you saying that when you "go broke" it is the equivalent of dying? Not much choice or actual personal responsibility in this scenario.

And if your parents forbid you doing things you enjoy, assuming you don't get your enjoyment from giving pain to others, then they really aren't that great parents. I think moving out is a good idea. :wave:

Upvote 0

JudaicChristian

Feb 21, 2009
✟2,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I believed in Hell - I'd be going to the sixth layer. Why? Because I don't believe in Hell. But I don't think that's really fair, because after you get there you'd obviously believe in it then.

The sixth layer!:o That sounds nasty.:sick:

Upvote 0

JudaicChristian

Feb 21, 2009
✟2,215.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In christianity and taoism, there are the concepts of hell.
Buddhism, I think, have no hell.
Islam has hell, I think.
I am not so sure of Judaism.

Atheism may not have hell as an after-life, but some atheists perhaps believe that life on earth is a hell itself.

Judaism has never taught or believed in a hell. That is why the word hell is not in the Old Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

humblemuslim

Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In christianity and taoism, there are the concepts of hell.
Buddhism, I think, have no hell.
Islam has hell, I think.
I am not so sure of Judaism.

Atheism may not have hell as an after-life, but some atheists perhaps believe that life on earth is a hell itself.

Yes. Muslims believe in the concept of hell.

Upvote 0

humblemuslim

Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So, are you saying that when you "go broke" it is the equivalent of dying? Not much choice or actual personal responsibility in this scenario.

And if your parents forbid you doing things you enjoy, assuming you don't get your enjoyment from giving pain to others, then they really aren't that great parents. I think moving out is a good idea. :wave:

Sometimes going broke is not a choice either. Depends on the situation. But like any analogy, it is not a perfect representation of what is going on.

Most behaviors deemed wrong have that element of harming others, emotionally or physically. Sometimes people are too selfish to realize that and believe they are only harming themselves, when in reality they are hurting all the people around them that care for them.

Well that's what's going on right now. We have moved outside of God's house, so to speak, and into our own house. God is letting us do whatever we want. At some point we are going to have to return, at which time some people are going to have a hard time adjusting.

Upvote 0

rcscwc

Oct 28, 2009
✟15,317.00
Faith
Hindu
Marital Status
Married
In Christianity and Islam, Hell is traditionally depicted as fiery and painful, inflicting guilt and suffering. Some other traditions, however, portray Hell as cold and gloomy. Despite the common depictions of Hell as a fire, Dante's Inferno portrays the innermost (9th) circle of Hell as a frozen lake of blood and guilt. Hell is often portrayed as populated with demons, who torment the damned. Many are ruled by a death god, such as Nergal, the Hindu Yama, or the Christian Satan.

Hindu god Yama is the Lord of Justice, not a tyrant out to torment anyone. He is benevolent, but even handed. He does lead any one astray from Dharma.

Last edited:
Upvote 0