Oct 15, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟15,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In light of it being All Saints Day I thought I would share this thought/question.

In the Pentecostal/Charismatic traditions our theology is greatly praxis oriented and centered around the experiences that we share in worship. We talk about heaven breaking in, God showing up, encountering Jesus or the Holy Spirit in a personal way etc.

Many in our tradition practice Harp and Bowl, a concept from chapter 5 in the book of Revelation. Theologically we assume when we worship and pray we join with the angels and saints in heaven who are worshiping and praying around the throne. Therefore, we are recognizing a unity in the body of Christ in the Heavenlies and on Earth.

Later in the book of Revelation we see the saints praying around the altar which in near the throne (see Rev 6 and 7). What this leads me to conclude is that the Saints are praying now and are present before the Father and the Lamb. Furthermore, this is evidenced by of their worship of them together.

My question is, should we as Pentecostals and Charismatics recognize the unity of the body of Christ and celebrate All Saints Day and redeem it for what is? The recognition of the body of Christ as one. Should we be able to join with the saints in heaven who worship and pray before the throne of grace?

Just thinking out loud. Would like to know your thoughts.

Reactions: Seeking Him

Seeking Him

May 19, 2008
USA
✟10,287.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As I read your post I thought of where it says in Hebrews,we've come to the city of God. To the myriads of angels and to the spirits of just men made perfect! We are already there along with the festal gathering of all the saints on earth. All Saints Day is a day we can rejoice that all things in heaven and on earth are being brought into union in Christ, Ephesians 1:10.

Here is a quote I recently read that blessed me:

"In Revelation 5, we see the Lamb's sacrifice made Him worthy to take the scroll. His sacrifice transformed the old order into the new to fulfill the covenant, and thus the living creatures and the elders sing a new song, the song of the New Covenant,the song that will always be new, even millions of years after its first performance.

The Lamb's sacrifice fashioned for God a kingdom of priest to reign on earth. As royal priests we join with the living creatures, angels, and the elders in singing "holy, holy, holy" and "worthy thou art". Although we cannot see them we share the dignity and priviledge of worshipping with them."

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hebrews 12:1
[ God Disciplines His Sons ] Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Interesting verse for sure.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some of us already do...

Good point!

When I first went to a Pentecostal church I was quite disorientated for months - no church year! :o

I was shocked that Pentecost didn't get much attention at all, Advent didn't exist in any recognisable form, most folks seemed to have never even heard of Lent.

I was amazed, especially as I had never realised until they'd gone how much those markers of the passing year had become part of my life while I was in the Church of England.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My question is, should we as Pentecostals and Charismatics recognize the unity of the body of Christ and celebrate All Saints Day and redeem it for what is? The recognition of the body of Christ as one. Should we be able to join with the saints in heaven who worship and pray before the throne of grace?

Maybe we should. How would you mark the day? :)

Upvote 0

oneshot012

Oct 15, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟15,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Maybe we should. How would you mark the day? :)

Not exactly sure what you are asking but I am assuming as to what day we would have it. The same day the rest of the Western Church celebrates it as far as I know and understand, November 1.

Most Pentecostals have no appreciation for the liturgical calender and the traditions. The get caught up the Protestant critique. Furthermore, many Pentecostals are "former" Catholics. So some if not not most have a contempt for such things. I am just wondering if there could be a redemption of it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.