Rabid Purple Bunny of the Apocalypse
Sep 20, 2004
Visit site
✟1,470.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I think that is a wonderful way to show love and honor and respect to the previous generations in your family; also, to show that you admire and respect the examples they have set for your marriage with their own.

If the ring isn't exactly to your taste, you could also see about incorporating the stone into a new ring and possibly using the gold to make custom wedding bands for you and your future husband :D

Upvote 0

wemmick

Jun 25, 2004
✟7,663.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My engagement ring is made from my grandmother's aunt's engagement ring. The diamond was set in her engagement ring in the 1800s. Later on it was removed and put in a dinner ring setting. Then it was offered to my fiance and me to incorporate in my engagement ring. I loved the idea, so my fiance had the diamond removed and put in a new setting. I love the history and story behind it. It's a cushion cut, which jewelers don't really cut anymore, so it's very unique. I am really thankful to honor my grandmother by wearing her aunt's engagement diamond, and it's gorgeous too! It's been a blessing for us. :)
~Becca

Upvote 0

Living4Him03

Just wanna dance with you
Nov 16, 2003
Fort Worth, Texas
Visit site
✟18,965.00
Faith
Protestant
I think it's great, that's because my great grandmother left a diamond ring for me to be given to me whenever I am about to get engaged/thinking about marriage. She died in 2002 and I think it would be a neat tribute to her, to at least use the diamond from the ring (I don't want a gold band). It would also be a lot cheaper than going out and buying one! But, if my future fiance wants to get me a ring that would be great. What I really hope (hehe) is that he will know about the ring my great grandmother left for me and will ask my parents for it and then take it and have it set in a new band or something. :)

Upvote 0

tyberium

Jul 14, 2004
Middleburg Florida
✟8,155.00
Faith
Christian
I dont think I could take a relative's ring and use it as my own. Even after recently looking at the prices of engagement rings :sick:, I would have to buy one for her. I dont know, I think it shows how commited you are to them. Although after spending that much money I might have to be commited :help: .

Upvote 0

AngylBelle

#1 Cheesehead!!!
Jan 23, 2004
FL
✟14,088.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
bliz said:
I do think that this is a matter for the brie and groom to decide together! It would be equally inappropriate for the guy to singlehandedly decide that his Grandmother's ring should be used...

I completely agree with this. I personally prefer having a new ring that my beau picked out and had customized. But I think we all know by now I am not one for sticking to traditions ;). If this is something talked about, however, and agreed upon between both parties, do whatever you want! Who cares what other people think as long as the couple is happy...:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jewels4him

Jun 30, 2005
Louisiana
✟15,304.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
When I was engaged 25 years ago, I used my grandmother's ring. She had not married the man who had given the ring to her 50 years earlier. Since there had never been a marriage associated with the ring, I thought of it as "new." I divorced two years ago. I would feel very uncomfortable about giving the ring to any of my children to use as an engagement ring. I think of it as being "tarnished" since my marriage did not work out. I would be concerned that my child wanted the ring because it was something bigger than he could afford to buy, or because he was being a cheapskate. I certainly wouldn't have wanted the engagement ring from my mother had her marriage gone sour.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

beehoney

Pressing toward the mark
Sep 30, 2005
✟32,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
kiora said:
What does everyone think about have your mother/ grandmothers old engagement ring passed down to you and then using to for your own engagement ?:wave:
It seems like a nice idea, but most men i know want to buy their sweetheart a ring.

Upvote 0