have you heard this saying? God chooses your church....

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
that is what this small group says and of course, that does not mean they have chosen a church they just go to this small group. I go to the small group AND attend a church. Thoughts?

janny...there's not much (info) in your post to see what is going on from the "beginning" of what you quoted. But... going to a small group is fine (as believers)... but if "they" (just go) to this small group "only" and you yourself attend both, invite them to come to your church!

The confusing part to me is you begin with, "that is what this small group says." This is the grey (unclear) area to me. What are they saying? Are they saying that God chooses the church we attend or what group we go to? If that's the case then God can only LEAD you to attend a particular church or group. To go or not go is your choice not His. If you miss His leading (we all do at times), then He will lead you to another one.

It is very important to know just who's VOICE is doing the "leading" or, as some may say, "God chooses your church." There are many cult groups that say that "God and Jesus" led (them to choose) their church to attend and worship. In their case they heard the wrong voice and made the wrong choice. Their choice was another god and another jesus. There needs to be discernment.

Just my thoughts... busy[1].gif

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
this is a small group that gradually came together and the guy who teaches is someone who works in my husband's workplace. He has a few fellowships during the week and one on Sunday. He or the others to my knowledge don't attend other churches. I go to a church but do enjoy his teachings.

Upvote 0

DMW

Feb 4, 2005
Michigan
✟16,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Many churches start out as home bible studies. Is that the intention? There is also a move out there now that emphasizes home churches to the exclusion of organized larger churches.
The Bible teaches that God gave us pastors. He gave them, so we must need them. Home fellowships work well when they are in addition to normal church attendance. But often the leaders are not qualified as true pastors. I attend a "mega church." Many people don't like the larger churches, but it has offered us so many opportunities for service, training, schooling, and not to mention the high level of teaching and ministry that comes from the pulpit of a larger established church.

If the small group blesses you and others, then great! If it challenges your conviction about where your support and service should be, then maybe it's time to pray. They can compliment each other well, but I would never leave my church to go exclusively to a home group, unless I knew God was sending me there and it was a new work being birthed.

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
here's the thing; I found out at a potluck yesterday that they have a regular church they attend, like we do. The home group is extra. But the leader does not....
He and his wife do not have any other affiliations. They just do the meeting and it's not in their home, but in a public place.

Upvote 0

justsurfin12

I don't bite!
Dec 12, 2009
Thailand atm, but live/work/travel around SE Asia
✟7,823.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My initial thought is this:

WHY is this being said? Unfortunately, I've seen many small groups that develop a "we are God's chosen group" mentality (meaning "we are more special than everyone else"). That kind of mentality fosters pride... and eventually, elitism and cult-ish tendencies. (God chose this group for you so if you leave this group, you're missing God). If things are being said in that context, I'd be REALLY concerned.

If, however, it's said in a context of "God knows what you need, so He put you here at this particular moment to get what you need" with the understanding that we are ALL parts of the Body, and at some point you might need something else/God might move you to a different place... well, that's a much healthier POV, imo.

Small groups can be a really good thing. Isolationist/elitist groups can be a really bad thing. Why isn't the leader of this group plugged into other groups/churches, etc. so that he/she can also be ministered to/grow? Even the strongest part of a body will die if it's cut off from the rest of the body.

Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
My initial thought is this:

WHY is this being said? Unfortunately, I've seen many small groups that develop a "we are God's chosen group" mentality (meaning "we are more special than everyone else"). That kind of mentality fosters pride... and eventually, elitism and cult-ish tendencies. (God chose this group for you so if you leave this group, you're missing God). If things are being said in that context, I'd be REALLY concerned.

If, however, it's said in a context of "God knows what you need, so He put you here at this particular moment to get what you need" with the understanding that we are ALL parts of the Body, and at some point you might need something else/God might move you to a different place... well, that's a much healthier POV, imo.

Small groups can be a really good thing. Isolationist/elitist groups can be a really bad thing. Why isn't the leader of this group plugged into other groups/churches, etc. so that he/she can also be ministered to/grow? Even the strongest part of a body will die if it's cut off from the rest of the body.

Welcome justsurfin12... Your post response is excellent and we pray the OP has received (in the spirit) ALL of these responses from you and others and that they have been helpful.

Be Blessed to be a BLESSING... busy[1].gif

Word-of-Faith[1].gif

Upvote 0

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
thanks for your responses. I had computer issues last week due to a storm we had and I did not have internet for 3-4 days. I googled word of faith churches in our area and I found something I'd like to check out. It's probably not very big but I told my husband, who says he's "hungry for fellowship" like me and I hope he thinks about it and wants to DO something about it. To me, it's God's way of trying to tell us something

Upvote 0

Farm Truck

Custom Title:
Jul 19, 2015
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've seen many small groups that develop a "we are God's chosen group" mentality (meaning "we are more special than everyone else").

And how is this different from what most churches believe about themselves???

There's no problem with someone pastoring a small group of people as this is in many cases more effective than the large church scene where they just put on a feel good show that doesn't actually feed the sheep any meat. Many churches now are just putting out ear tickling fluff.

Where two are more are gathered in Jesus Name, He shows up so small groups are not a problem at long as the focus is being led by the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ based on the written Word of God... unless you are using the so called message bible or the nearly inspired version (NIV) both of which contain so many errors that they should be burned like books on witchcraft should be burned.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

janny108

Feb 7, 2005
Arizona
Visit site
✟23,724.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
And how is this different from what most churches believe about themselves???

There's no problem with someone pastoring a small group of people as this is in many cases more effective than the large church scene where they just put on a feel good show that doesn't actually feed the sheep any meat. Many churches now are just putting out ear tickling fluff.

Where two are more are gathered in Jesus Name, He shows up so small groups are not a problem at long as the focus is being led by the Holy Spirit of Jesus Christ based on the written Word of God... unless you are using the so called message bible or the nearly inspired version (NIV) both of which contain so many errors that they should be burned like books on witchcraft should be burned.
To be honest, I haven't been there in close to a month, and I went there today on the base. Now that I have found a real wof church, I don't know if I should discontinue this group or not...

Upvote 0