Has anyone heard of Oera Linda cult?

ryanpierce

Sep 20, 2005
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Livindesert said:
If her joining has had the most to do with feminie oriented issues then I would think the attraction would die out soon enough. Only people who find their path because of spiritual reasons really stay involved in them.

It's possible, but maybe she'll want to stay with them. Maybe she'll never leave.

R.

Upvote 0

ryanpierce

Sep 20, 2005
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ryanpierce said:
A lot of people have been saying that they're pagan, but does this mean that they're either less or more likely to be a cult?

R.

The term "cult" is in and of itself problematic. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

I like these definitions of what a cult is

Cults are groups that often exploit members psychologically and/or financially, typically by making members comply with leadership's demands through certain types of psychological manipulation, popularly called mind control, and through the inculcation of deep-seated anxious dependency on the group and its leaders.1

"A cult is a group or movement exhibiting a great or excessive devotion or dedication to some person, idea or thing and employing unethically manipulative techniques of persuasion and control (e.g. isolation from former friends and family, debilitation, use of special methods to heighten suggestibility and subservience, powerful group pressures, information management, suspension of individuality or critical judgement, promotion of total dependency on the group and fear of leaving it, etc) designed to advance the goals of the group's leaders to the actual or possible detriment of members, their families, or the community." 8

Pagan groups are no more or less likely to be cults than a christian group, a jewish group, a muslim group, a secular group, or whatever kind of group.

For those who are unfamiliar with the pagan community, many pagan groups may seem like a cult, when in fact they are just not something we are used to. This webpage gives a decent introduction to what paganism is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Zen_Woof

Feb 3, 2004
✟2,226.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ryanpierce.

The rick ross site lists cult warning signs ( http://www.rickross.com/warningsigns.html)

1. Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.
2. No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
3. No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.
4. Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.
5. There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.
6. Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.
7. There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.
8. Followers feel they can never be "good enough".
9. The group/leader is always right.
10. The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.

To a certain extent, some of these signs can be applied to many religions.

Have you talked with your daughter about the group? Perhaps you could even attend a meeting with her so you can ask the group leader to address your concerns.

Good luck!

Metta,
ZW

Upvote 0

ryanpierce

Sep 20, 2005
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Zen_Woof said:
Hi Ryanpierce.

The rick ross site lists cult warning signs ( http://www.rickross.com/warningsigns.html)

To a certain extent, some of these signs can be applied to many religions.

Have you talked with your daughter about the group? Perhaps you could even attend a meeting with her so you can ask the group leader to address your concerns.

Good luck!

Metta,
ZW

I don't think they have a specific leader in that sense, or at least she has never mentioned one. So they're not like a cult in that way, but in other ways they certainly appear to be, with all those strict rules and regulations. I think the chances of me being allowed to attend a meeting are very low, they only allow women there.

R.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,590.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something that brainwashes people, and gets them to do things they normally wouldn't, and takes them away from the real world.

R.

A not inaccurate description of joining the Army! ;) I agree with Zen Woof talking it over with her is probably at least the start of coming to an understanding.
tulc(raised two daughters, they can be...scarey at times!) :eek:

Upvote 0

Livindesert

Jun 21, 2005
✟2,834.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Out of the groups listed that are inovled with orea-linda book I would have to say that the most of the groups based off of ophite witchcraft seem like your basic coven which are nothing to be worried about.

However the organization that you gave me dose make me a bit concerned. Why 1.They have rules like a catholic nuns monastery. 2. They offer very little info 3. The only contact info is a yahoo e-mail address.4. I would bet money that the picture they have is the opposite of what you would find.

If your daughter is interested in Frey I would help her look for one of the many healthy Asatru groups out there that are totally out in the open with good people who will answer your questions and have legitimate contact info .

Upvote 0

ryanpierce

Sep 20, 2005
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Livindesert said:
Out of the groups listed that are inovled with orea-linda book I would have to say that the most of the groups based off of ophite witchcraft seem like your basic coven which are nothing to be worried about.

However the organization that you gave me dose make me a bit concerned. Why 1.They have rules like a catholic nuns monastery. 2. They offer very little info 3. The only contact info is a yahoo e-mail address.4. I would bet money that the picture they have is the opposite of what you would find.

If your daughter is interested in Frey I would help her look for one of the many healthy Asatru groups out there that are totally out in the open with good people who will answer your questions and have legitimate contact info .

I know they have a commune somewhere but they keep its location secret. My daughter has been meeting with them and they've invited her to the commune, but she hasn't gone yet so perhaps there's still time to convince her it's a bad idea. Is Frey the same person as Frya?

R.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Zen_Woof

Feb 3, 2004
✟2,226.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
ryanpierce said:
I don't think they have a specific leader in that sense, or at least she has never mentioned one. So they're not like a cult in that way, but in other ways they certainly appear to be, with all those strict rules and regulations. I think the chances of me being allowed to attend a meeting are very low, they only allow women there.

R.

Perhaps she had a favorite aunt or other trusted female adult in her life who can attend with her?

Certainly, you should be able to ask questions of the members as a concerned parent. ???

Again, good luck!

Metta,
ZW

Upvote 0

ryanpierce

Sep 20, 2005
✟15,157.00
Faith
Christian
Zen_Woof said:
Perhaps she had a favorite aunt or other trusted female adult in her life who can attend with her?

Certainly, you should be able to ask questions of the members as a concerned parent. ???

Again, good luck!

Metta,
ZW

That's certainly an idea, though she can be a bit independent minded at times.

R.

Upvote 0

Livindesert

Jun 21, 2005
✟2,834.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Apparently they are worshipping Frya. But the language the use on the web site to me is very Norse. But I have never seen Norse pagans who bow down before their god or goddess it is very un-norse.
I will admit these people seem to not fall into a catagory I am familiar with.

Upvote 0