Hair, dress, and a cage-stage Calvinist!

flightofsevens

Solus V
Oct 13, 2009
Alabama
Visit site
✟7,772.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Simple straightforward question here... I (and my wife and baby girl) am going to attend what seems like a nicely conservative Presbyterian (PCUSA) congregation for the first time soon and I am wondering: Is long hair on a male a no-no? (Mine is medium/long in length) Is casual dress frowned upon mainly?

Need some tips here, for I would hate to have an awkward time, haha!

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was just baffled by the modifier "conservative" on a PC(USA) church. Maybe you mean traditional liturgy?

In general a clean appearance is acceptable among most PC(USA) churches. Length of hair is unlikely to provoke much comment. The larger the church, the broader the thinking on this count.

You're sure this isn't a PCA church?

In PCA churches the approach to dress varies depending on their being non-instrumental, traditional, or contemporary worship. The line cuts across the "traditional" group, but most churches are not that preoccupied with hair length.

Upvote 0

flightofsevens

Solus V
Oct 13, 2009
Alabama
Visit site
✟7,772.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
heymikey80 said:
I was just baffled by the modifier "conservative" on a PC(USA) church. Maybe you mean traditional liturgy?

In general a clean appearance is acceptable among most PC(USA) churches. Length of hair is unlikely to provoke much comment. The larger the church, the broader the thinking on this count.

You're sure this isn't a PCA church?

In PCA churches the approach to dress varies depending on their being non-instrumental, traditional, or contemporary worship. The line cuts across the "traditional" group, but most churches are not that preoccupied with hair length.

Oh wow! Oops... I meant PCA. Not PC(USA). Sorry for the confusion. I most likely confused myself. So it's not a strict "you have to wear this and that" thing, as long as you look nice you'll be okay?

EDIT: Man, you can tell i'm quite green, haha.

Upvote 0

ReformedChapin

Chapin = Guatemalan
Apr 29, 2005
✟18,338.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
This would largely depend on the congregation. I'm a member of a OPC congregation which tends to be "more open" than most other OPC churches in regards to dress, worship style and communion. I suggest you meet with an elder/pastor or whatever church and ask. I have gone to some URC churches which are very conservative and others which are more open/liberal...so just ask to make sure before you go to avoid feeling out of touch.

Upvote 0
M

myhopeisfound

My family has been to OPC, URC, CRC's where the dress is casual, as in khaki's and polo's, and the women wear slacks also. We've also been to churches where they are very conservative, the women dare not wear dresses on Sunday, although one time I wore a pants suit instead of a dress to one of these kinds of churches and thought "Hey, you can take me or leave me. I have toddlers running everywhere, you're fortunate I showed up not in pajama pants, give me a break." I would play it safe with the attire and as for the hair, if someone looks at you sideways...tell them you're going for the Samson look. :p When in doubt, call first...

Upvote 0

green wolverine

to God be the glory!
May 9, 2009
✟16,164.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
The reformed churches I've been in have been very laid back about the dress code including wearing overalls, shorts and thongs, etc., etc. And that was a PCA congregation so I wouldn't worry about it. I think most pastors are far more interested in seeing people at church regardless of how they dress. Personally, unless it's extremely cold, I always wear a dress as I try to dress up at least as much as if I was meeting with a potential employer or the like--after all, I'm appearing before God so I am.

Upvote 0
M

myhopeisfound

The reformed churches I've been in have been very laid back about the dress code including wearing overalls, shorts and thongs, etc., etc. And that was a PCA congregation so I wouldn't worry about it. I think most pastors are far more interested in seeing people at church regardless of how they dress. Personally, unless it's extremely cold, I always wear a dress as I try to dress up at least as much as if I was meeting with a potential employer or the like--after all, I'm appearing before God so I am.

AH HAH! This is exactly how I feel. Though I would never condemn or look at someone strangely for how they were dressed when they walked into church because you never know their situation, I personally dress up for church services. Whether it is a dress or like you, Wolverine, a pants suit when it's cold, I think it's important not to forget the holiness of God! Some may feel this is sexist (with the dress) or legalistic, but I'm NOT wearing the attire because I HAVE to. I'm doing out of respect for a Holy God. I would not wear a tank top and junky cutoff jeans with flipflops and my hair lookin like the bride of frankenstein to meet the President or the Queen of England, so WHY would I do that with God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums