• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Grapefruit Juice

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,374.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I thought it was cholesterol drugs (Statins) that reacted badly with grapefruit. I didn't know blood pressure medicines did too? You can probably look up your drug and see if it's a problem.
Apparently not all statins either. I love grapefruit but haven’t had any for years. I should switch my statin and enjoy the fruit again.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟675,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I searched Google and found that it really depends on the specific drug. For example I take Lisinopril for blood pressure. It is O.K. with grapefruit, but some other blood pressure drugs aren't. BTW I was at a friends in Sun City Arizona and there is grapefruit piled out in everyone's yard for free. Most of them are older and take drugs that they think react badly with grapefruit. The site I looked at: HERE

Don’t Mix Grapefruit Juice and these 7 Classes of Drugs. Here are examples of the 7 types of drugs that grapefruit juice can cause problems with (interact):

Some statin drugs to lower cholesterol, such as Zocor (simvastatin3 ) and Lipitor (atorvastatin).
Some drugs that treat high blood pressure, such as Procardia and Adalat CC (both nifedipine4 ).
Some organ-transplant rejection drugs, such as Sandimmune and Neoral (both cyclosporine5 ).
Some anti-anxiety drugs, such as buspirone6 .
Some corticosteroids that treat Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, such as Entocort EC and Uceris (both budesonide7 ).
Some drugs that treat abnormal heart rhythms, such as Pacerone and Nexterone (both amiodarone8 ).
Some antihistamines, such as Allegra (fexofenadine9 ).
Grapefruit juice does not affect all the drugs in the categories above. The severity of the interaction can be different depending on the person, the drug, and the amount of grapefruit juice you drink. Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or other health care provider and read any information provided with your prescription or OTC drug to find out:

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,292.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I searched Google and found that it really depends on the specific drug. For example I take Lisinopril for blood pressure. It is O.K. with grapefruit, but some other blood pressure drugs aren't. BTW I was at a friends in Sun City Arizona and there is grapefruit piled out in everyone's yard for free. Most of them are older and take drugs that they think react badly with grapefruit. The site I looked at: HERE

Don’t Mix Grapefruit Juice and these 7 Classes of Drugs. Here are examples of the 7 types of drugs that grapefruit juice can cause problems with (interact):

Some statin drugs to lower cholesterol, such as Zocor (simvastatin3 ) and Lipitor (atorvastatin).
Some drugs that treat high blood pressure, such as Procardia and Adalat CC (both nifedipine4 ).
Some organ-transplant rejection drugs, such as Sandimmune and Neoral (both cyclosporine5 ).
Some anti-anxiety drugs, such as buspirone6 .
Some corticosteroids that treat Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis, such as Entocort EC and Uceris (both budesonide7 ).
Some drugs that treat abnormal heart rhythms, such as Pacerone and Nexterone (both amiodarone8 ).
Some antihistamines, such as Allegra (fexofenadine9 ).
Grapefruit juice does not affect all the drugs in the categories above. The severity of the interaction can be different depending on the person, the drug, and the amount of grapefruit juice you drink. Talk to your doctor, pharmacist or other health care provider and read any information provided with your prescription or OTC drug to find out:
I took Lisinopril when I was in my early 20s and it made me dizzy/lightheaded 24/7. Terrible drug for me.

Upvote 0