Grand jury declines to indict robbery victim who shot 9-year-old in car mistaken as getaway car

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,641.00
Faith
Atheist
Wow, this really answers my previous question. That place is like a whole different country. Didn't they try to start their own country when they stole the land from Mexico? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.
Oh, here:
Republic of Texas - Wikipedia

They just do things their own way down there. I lived in Fort Worth and had a handgun within a month.
I've been in TX for 26 years and have never owned a gun.

Reactions: Skye1300
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟933,641.00
Faith
Atheist
I think you are the first one I have "met."
So I did an informal poll at work (here in TX).

• Co-worker born and raised in TX turns 50 in a week. Never owned a gun.
  • Co-worker born and raised in TX, mid-40s never owned a gun until his dad went a buying spree at the beginning of the pandemic. He now has one in his possession
  • Co-worker in his 20s; been here 20 years. Has never owned a gun.
  • Co-worker has been here 31 years. Used to have guns but let her ex take them all. Does not currently own a gun.
  • One guy brought his gun(s) from Alabama.
  • One guy owns guns. I wasn't clear on whether he brought them from CO or bought them here. I think it may just a small pistol for his wife who wanted one.
  • One guy came from Mississippi. It took him 4 years here before he bought his first gun. He now has more guns than family members.

If I had guessed, I'd have said maybe 50% of Texans have guns.

I just web-searched and found this: It is estimated that at least 37% of Texans own guns. Texas Gun Violence Facts - Texas Gun Sense

This link has it at ~46%: Gun Ownership by State 2022

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Oh my goodness that's horrible! He shouldn't have been shooting if his life wasn't in danger. :( I'm surprised he didn't get jail time.
One should not be shooting at innocent bystanders. One of the basics of gun safety self defense is correctly identifying your target as a threat.

I hope the family can get a wrongful death suit filed.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
So I did an informal poll at work (here in TX).

• Co-worker born and raised in TX turns 50 in a week. Never owned a gun.
  • Co-worker born and raised in TX, mid-40s never owned a gun until his dad went a buying spree at the beginning of the pandemic. He now has one in his possession
  • Co-worker in his 20s; been here 20 years. Has never owned a gun.
  • Co-worker has been here 31 years. Used to have guns but let her ex take them all. Does not currently own a gun.
  • One guy brought his gun(s) from Alabama.
  • One guy owns guns. I wasn't clear on whether he brought them from CO or bought them here. I think it may just a small pistol for his wife who wanted one.
  • One guy came from Mississippi. It took him 4 years here before he bought his first gun. He now has more guns than family members.

If I had guessed, I'd have said maybe 50% of Texans have guns.

I just web-searched and found this: It is estimated that at least 37% of Texans own guns. Texas Gun Violence Facts - Texas Gun Sense

This link has it at ~46%: Gun Ownership by State 2022
I stand corrected. When I lived there, everybody I knew had at least one gun most had more than one. Obviously, I didn't know everybody in Texas.

Question...In the polls did they consider what percentage of people who are allowed to own a gun or the population as a whole? That might make a difference.

Upvote 0