Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
'It’s clear to me that Mr. [Richard] Harvey did fire a warning shot to send a message to Ms. [Joan] Jacobsen, and then he also shot her.'

(The Daily Signal) — A Michigan judge decided Wednesday that there is enough evidence to send to trial a man who shot an elderly pro-life womanwho was canvassing against abortion at his home.

“It’s clear to me that Mr. [Richard] Harvey did fire a warning shot to send a message to Ms. [Joan] Jacobsen, and then he also shot her,” Judge Raymond Voet said, according to a local outlet. “Thankfully he didn’t kill or paralyze her considering how close it was to her spine. We’re lucky that no one was more seriously hurt.”

Authorities arraigned 74-year-old Richard Harvey on Sept. 30 and charged him with felonious assault (assault with a dangerous weapon), carless discharge of a weapon causing injury and reckless use of a firearm, Michigan State Police said.

His next hearing date is set for Nov. 8, according to a local Michigan outlet. It is not immediately clear whether Harvey was politically motivated when he shot 84-year-old Joan Jacobson. Critics have pointed out that he described Jacobson to a 911 dispatcher as a “right-wing nut.”

“I didn’t shoot her on purpose,” he said. “She was a right wing nut. I’m sorry I shot her.”

Michigan’s Democratic Governor Gretchen Whitmer, who has promised to “fight like hell” to protect abortion in her state, has not weighed in on Harvey’s shooting of Jacobson and did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

“Now is the time to use every tool in our toolbox to protect women and reproductive healthcare,” she tweeted after the overturn of Roe v. Wade, adding on another occasion, “Abortion is still legal in Michigan, and I’ll never stop fighting to keep it that way.”

Continued below.
Man who shot 84-year-old pro-life woman set to face trial in Michigan - LifeSite