Gotta love the USA

GoodNewsJim

Senior Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Visit site
✟20,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
USA's government might have problems temporarily and long term, but it is better than most all other systems that have been tried.

The corporations might be winning this round, but a lot of us still think and live that the government is of the people, for the people and by the people.

So while the short term looks bleak: Deep in debt, a couple wars, a war on personal freedom, and politicians taking corporate money... The idea of freedom is something people are dying for even today.

I spend time with regular people who love being loving to each other. A Christian with a loving family in a country that isn't out to exploit you makes a content and fulfilled person. And this is what this country tries to afford you,"A place where you can live peaceably as long as you're not trying to hurt others."

I'll be honest. The USA can go either way. It can turn on itself, and criminalize things like the Internet and personal freedoms. It could have a lot of irresponsible politicians who spend spend spend all the taxpayer's future money. They could inflate the dollar and steal all our money away. But it could turn around for the better, and pay off the debt. Politicians might respect the country more than their own personal bank account. We might start getting rid of some stupid laws like software patents which hurt innovation, or the law that if a corporation can make more money on your land than you that they get eminent domain. You know we can go either way, united we stand, divided we fall. Let's see what plays out.

Right now, I have Jesus, Internet, food, family, shelter, education, and a sweat equity opportunity. I feel like I'm privileged enough that I should be helping others.

Schneiderman

Senior Veteran
Aug 9, 2008
Long Island, New York
Visit site
✟12,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
America is nearly as broken and corrupt as the rest of the world. The nation that the founding fathers established didn't last very long; it quickly fell to faction, which many of the founders predicted and which the Constitution was designed to prevent. The "ideas" we have of freedom are ghosts; we are allowed only that liberty which is necessary for the government to loosely maintain the appearance of freedom, while our rights are eroded away through exploitation of fear. This is not a free country and it never was in my lifetime. Nor do the majority of people truly want it to be a "free" country. The sort of freedom that people seek now is not freedom at all: instead, most people seek dependency. Today's freedom is about freedom from fear and responsibility, which entails exponentially increasing government intrusion into private matters. Next time you try to board a flight on a private airline and an agent of the government intervenes, ask yourself if you live in a free country.

Upvote 0

Guy Incognito

Matt 6:25-34
Sep 27, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟73,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Meanwhile, in Canada... what's that? Virtually no debt? Excellent Educational system? Free Health Care? Virtually no crime (we actually leave our doors unlocked at night)?

I'll agree with all that but the last one, especially for Toronto. Not two days go by where I don't hear/read about a mugging, stabbing, or a shooting. Not in the past 2 months atleast.

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'll agree with all that but the last one, especially for Toronto. Not two days go by where I don't hear/read about a mugging, stabbing, or a shooting. Not in the past 2 months atleast.

Yeah, I read about that. GTA has been letting itself go... may need an intervention if you wish to stay in Canadia eh :p

Let's just keep in-mind that the US has the most deaths by gun than most of the world combined... the entire world combined. Which means they also have an enormous amounts of deaths as well.

Upvote 0

Guy Incognito

Matt 6:25-34
Sep 27, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟73,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Yeah, I read about that. GTA has been letting itself go... may need an intervention if you wish to stay in Canadia eh :p

I'm pretty sure the rest of Canada will let everyone BUT Quebec go, and they're the only one's who want to separate :p.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nom De Guerre

May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'm pretty sure the rest of Canada will let everyone BUT Quebec go, and they're the only one's who want to separate :p.

Funny you should say that, I was going for a walk today in the beautiful man-made park (largest in North America by the way, yep that's bigger than Central Park even) and a guy from Montreal was there asking for directions to a convenience store; anyway, long story short he said he was moving to Edmonton and that Montreal was too much of a party city for him; that it's bred into the culture. Said it's a wonderful place to visit, and they get a lot of tourists... perhaps that's why we want to keep 'em lol. All the gravy from silly drunkards spending too much money.

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
Norwegian countries, let's go.

I'd kinda like to dump a couple million or so of our illegal Mexican immigrants, with a representative mix of everyone from the hardest and brightest workers to the welfare bums and gangsters, on Norway and see what happens.

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I'd kinda like to dump a couple million or so of our illegal Mexican immigrants, with a representative mix of everyone from the hardest and brightest workers to the welfare bums and gangsters, on Norway and see what happens.

Another Australia?

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If History has shown us anything about sticking a bunch of welfare bums, gangsters, illegal immigrants, etc together you end up with an amalgamated group willing to come together and form their own aristocracy; think of the ghettos/black panthers, Australia, Metis in Canada (Louis Riel if you're familiar eh)... or even the fact that Mexico is basically run by Drug Lords.

And these are only in the very recent centuries.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
They actually have proper immigration enforcement...employers, not enforcers. Europe in general does this better than we do, probably because of the amount of neighboring countries.

So I'm not sure why these illegals have to be Mexicans (a large amount are Central American, South American, or Caribbean descent), or that we cannot view whites as also being "an equal mix of the best and brightest workers [and] welfare bums and gangsters".

Idk where I want to go with this.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if I had heard this right or not, but I think somebody had mentioned that Mexicans (more specifically illegal immigrants) pay a great deal of taxes... like as in their revenue taxes.
They do.....they pay FICA, withholding, SocSec, etc.....everything we do.

But they get nothing from it. They don't get Social Security, they don't get Medicaid, they don't get a refund check. They plug in much more money than they get out.

But you'll never hear that in Arizona. :p

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
They do.....they pay FICA, withholding, SocSec, etc.....everything we do.

But they get nothing from it. They don't get Social Security, they don't get Medicaid, they don't get a refund check. They plug in much more money than they get out.

But you'll never hear that in Arizona. :p

Doesn't surprise me to be honest...

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
They actually have proper immigration enforcement...employers, not enforcers. Europe in general does this better than we do, probably because of the amount of neighboring countries.
Also they are small, densely populated and/or far removed from the Third World.
So I'm not sure why these illegals have to be Mexicans (a large amount are Central American, South American, or Caribbean descent),
True, they don't have to be "Mexican". They should be in proportion of illegal immigrants we get.

or that we cannot view whites as also being "an equal mix of the best and brightest workers [and] welfare bums and gangsters".
Because making Norway deal with the demographics we do was the point. But feel free to throw the relatively few white illegal immigrants in as well.
But you'll never hear that in Arizona.
Because it's half-true.

Yeah, many of them pay taxes, but they cost more in terms of education, prisons, health care, etc. then they put in. They might not get more in Social Security checks than the put in, but they have plenty of other costs.

In Arizona illegals pay 4-500 million in taxes while costing over 2 billion.

Upvote 0