Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The GOP is clearly going to continue continue rearranging the deck chairs, just as the Dems did regarding the economy. The new mantra should be: 'It's the TRADE DEFICIT stupid!' Instead the Repubs are telling us to: 'Gird yer loins'. We're really screwed now. :( This from way back in 1997: Pat Choate / The Mysterious US Trade Deficit

D

d'Albert

I read somewhere the combined debt of the US exceeds global income by approximately 2 1/2 times. Somehow I don't think career politicians on either side of the aisle are going to be much more effective than "rearranging the deck chairs" either. We've a loooooong row to hoe before we extract ourselves from the mire of debt into which we've sunk; and doing so will be very painful - not something career politicians are motivated to undertake.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I read somewhere the combined debt of the US exceeds global income by approximately 2 1/2 times. Somehow I don't think career politicians on either side of the aisle are going to be much more effective than "rearranging the deck chairs" either. We've a loooooong row to hoe before we extract ourselves from the mire of debt into which we've sunk; and doing so will be very painful - not something career politicians are motivated to undertake.

I don't think they really understand the problem.

Upvote 0
H

Husky7

The GOP is clearly going to continue continue rearranging the deck chairs, just as the Dems did regarding the economy. The new mantra should be: 'It's the TRADE DEFICIT stupid!' Instead the Repubs are telling us to: 'Gird yer loins'. We're really screwed now. :( This from way back in 1997: Pat Choate / The Mysterious US Trade Deficit

Vote for the Constitution Party!

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Green.

Cobb said that "instead of subsidizing the oil companies we can create millions of jobs in the booming alternative energy industry to make sure the energy component of our trade dollars stay at home. This will erase the trade deficit, strengthen the dollar and keep inflation down, in addition to all the other social and environmental benefits of clean energy."

Upvote 0

GrowingSmaller

Muslm Humanist
Apr 18, 2010
✟49,085.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Except that you won't see a substantial increase in alternative energy production in your lifetime (even if you are very young). :(
So what counts as "substantial", and is that limit due to technology or political will?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So what counts as "substantial", and is that limit due to technology or political will?

I think alternative energy development is limited by lack of investment capital from the private sector. There's simply no payoff for anyone, either investors (without massive gov't subsidies) or for consumers (higher cost energy). The global need for energy is growing so fast that green energy can't come online fast enough to increase it's percentage of production, and certainly cannot compete with fossil fuels on cost.

Upvote 0
D

d'Albert

We shouldn't be subsidizing the oil companies. Neither should we be hamstringing them from doing their business either. Typical government maneuver - subsidize those you're penalizing to make political points with the enemies of both.

Alternative energy is no solution for anything - nor will it be for some time to come. Solar can supplement some energy, as can wind - but the operative word there is SOME. Neither can remotely provide us the amount of energy we need to survive, let alone thrive.

We should be opening up our oil fields, not restricting access to them. Same thing with coal. We should also be building more nuclear plants.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saving Hawaii

Sep 6, 2008
Chico, CA
✟5,320.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

brindisi

Oct 16, 2010
New England
✟2,127.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It's sad to have to admit, but I think a complete collapse of the economy is likely. There are now too many peolpe living off the government largesse, and far too little political will to change things. Hyperinflation or default on sovereign debt is now unavoidable. Republicans will try modest - but not enough - reforms, democrats will demagogue, and nothing significant will change.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's sad to have to admit, but I think a complete collapse of the economy is likely. There are now too many peolpe living off the government largesse, and far too little political will to change things. Hyperinflation or default on sovereign debt is now unavoidable. Republicans will try modest - but not enough - reforms, democrats will demagogue, and nothing significant will change.
Sadly, I have to agree. Neither party has the political will to do what needs to be done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

PRIDE goeth before a fall. Many Americans are too proud make the sacrifices needed to save the economy. Here in Wisconsin unionized state workers would rather see massive firings and layoffs rather than take more job-saving pay and benefit cuts. American workers have a sense of entitlement when it comes to their pay and benefits. Not a good mindset.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
PRIDE goeth before a fall. Many Americans are too proud make the sacrifices needed to save the economy. Here in Wisconsin unionized state workers would rather see massive firings and layoffs rather than take more job-saving pay and benefit cuts. American workers have a sense of entitlement when it comes to their pay and benefits. Not a good mindset.
I saw one kid interviewed during the "unrest" yesterday spout the solution to the state's problems - "tax the rich." Incredible.

Here are a bunch of entitled state and federal unionistas who make on average TWICE what non-union people make in pay and benefits, telling those very people we're being "unfair" for suggesting they do (in PART, mind you) what we all have to do - all the while forgetting it's "those people" for whom they work who are paying for and funding their largesse.

You're right - if that isn't PRIDE, then I don't know what it.

Upvote 0