LDS are these authoritative texts?

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
All of the books of the Bible were written by Jews and concluded with The Book of Revelation.
Note the Book of Revelation was not the last book of scripture written. Historians aren't completely sure which is, but many point the the Gospel of John.
2000 years later a Joseph Smith shows up and decides to add more to the Bible and the Gospel, and doesn't make accurate prophecies, and engages in mass orgies with 40 of his wives some as young as 14 and some already married.
Statements such as these are historically inaccurate and offensive.

Now: do have any references for your statement "Gentiles can have revelations, and they can write books. But they don't write scripture or authoritative texts" or are you just blowing the smoke of your own opinion?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
2000 years later a Joseph Smith shows up and decides to add more to the Bible and the Gospel, and doesn't make accurate prophecies, and engages in mass orgies with 40 of his wives some as young as 14 and some already married.
REBEL CRUSADER, how does someone in the Nineteenth Century have mass orgies with 40 women that don't result in any pregnancies?

Upvote 0

KevinSim

Latter-day Saint
Feb 8, 2017
Springville, Utah
✟14,102.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, God showed me in writing on gold tablets that Joseph Smith was a false prophet. Only I could see these tablets. God said "Joseph Smith was a false prophet, hence he made many false prophecies".
REBEL CRUSADER, how do you know it was God that showed you those gold tablets?

Upvote 0

REBEL CRUSADER

Feb 21, 2017
Canada
✟1,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
REBEL CRUSADER, how do you know it was God that showed you those gold tablets?
How do you know it wasn't? How do you know Joseph Smith was a prophet? Sure wasn't by his accuracy. Sure wasn't by his harem either.

Upvote 0

REBEL CRUSADER

Feb 21, 2017
Canada
✟1,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
How do you know he wasn't?

Because prophecies he made were not accurate and he did have about 40 wives, some that were already married, and some that were as young as 14. I recognize a false prophet by his fruits, and even lack of in Joseph Smith's case.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Because prophecies he made were not accurate and he did have about 40 wives, some that were already married, and some that were as young as 14. I recognize a false prophet by his fruits, and even lack of in Joseph Smith's case.
You have been spending your time reading anti Mormon material. Do you know people who hate? If I wanted to get a clear picture of your character do you think I would get a pure picture from those who literally hate you? If you wanted to get a clear picture of mormons why on earth would you think you would get a pure picture from those who literally hate us?

Upvote 0

REBEL CRUSADER

Feb 21, 2017
Canada
✟1,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You have been spending your time reading anti Mormon material. Do you know people who hate? If I wanted to get a clear picture of your character do you think I would get a pure picture from those who literally hate you? If you wanted to get a clear picture of mormons why on earth would you think you would get a pure picture from those who literally hate us?

I've heard Muslims give that same argument. You think everyone that challenges your beliefs, presents you with truthful facts (facts which Mormons themselves have confirmed) about your prophet who you obviously believe is beyond criticism hates you, and hates Mormons in general? Why should I get my facts from anyone that has obvious favoritism towards Mormon beliefs over anyone that would conduct a critical unbiased analysis of those beliefs?

Upvote 0

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
I've heard Muslims give that same argument. You think everyone that challenges your beliefs, presents you with truthful facts (facts which Mormons themselves have confirmed) about your prophet who you obviously believe is beyond criticism hates you, and hates Mormons in general? Why should I get my facts from anyone that has obvious favoritism towards Mormon beliefs over anyone that would conduct a critical unbiased analysis of those beliefs?
(Speaking generally here)
It is my observation that commonly people who feel compelled to misinterpret other people's beliefs and ignore factual correction are coming from a position of weakness and hatred. Christ never had to ignore facts, nor strawman another's position, nor mock. He was/is strength and light. We should all strive to emulate His example in that regard.

Would you agree with that statement, Rebel?

Upvote 0

REBEL CRUSADER

Feb 21, 2017
Canada
✟1,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
(Speaking generally here)
It is my observation that commonly people who feel compelled to misinterpret other people's beliefs and ignore factual correction are coming from a position of weakness and hatred. Christ never had to ignore facts, nor strawman another's position, nor mock. He was/is strength and light. We should all strive to emulate His example in that regard.

Would you agree with that statement, Rebel?

There is no misinterpretation of any facts. Joseph Smith failed to give accurate prophecies. None of God's prophets failed to give accurate prophecies. Joseph Smith married other people's wives, that's not a matter of interpretation either. Christ never ignored facts and he never came up with excuses of misinterpretation to ignore fact either. Christ had his way of delivering the truth. I will not be emulating his delivery by speaking in parables.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jane_Doe

Jun 12, 2015
✟100,321.00
Faith
There is no misinterpretation of any facts.
You continually have claimed that JS had orgies with 40 women. Now, let's skip the he-said-she-said-junk and look at actual evidence. People who have sex (let alone massive orgies with 40 women) pre-birth control had kids. But there is a staunch lack of kids. Does this support your hypothesis of massive orgies: clearly not.

Are you willing to acknowledge this fact? Once we do that, then we can move on to your other statements.

Upvote 0

fatboys

Senior Veteran
Nov 18, 2003
✟53,575.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There are challenges and then There is out right lies and purposely twisting our beliefs. Just as I wouldn't get a clear picture of your character from someone who hates you you shouldn't rely on all truth coming from those who hate the church. Have you ever been in court and watched witness tell the opposite story of the same event. Or had a reporter who is suppose to to be a trained professional get the story wrong when it comes out in print? You want to believe we are wrong. Not because we are but because it threatens you. If what we teach is true and there are living breathing prophets on the earth which begin with Joseph Smith it literally crumbles all other faiths. Instead of our church being just one of many religions you spend your time in trying to tear it down because it has what you don't have. First it has living breathing prophets just like they did in ancient times. You don't have to accept this but if it was true wouldn't that be the greatest thing to happen since the last of the apostles died? Second the power given to all the ancient prophets to act in the name of God has been restored. That is the priesthood that Christ had given his apostles. What have you got? You have nothing close. Third the fruits of a prophet in the coming forth of the Book of Mormon came forth to be another witness of Christ. The manner and the content of the Book of Mormon could not have come about through a unlearned or educated boy. This really gets your goat. You don't understand it. No you don't want to understand it. It is apparent that you can't handle mormons when you post vial things about Joseph Smith you know nothing about. It makes me really wonder if you are jealous about the orgys you say he had.

Upvote 0