Born to Watch

Mar 19, 2011
Australia
✟9,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well I expect everyone here knows my position in Christ. So if you dont like my style of Christianity then dont listen or read
So I am currently reading two books and I would like to recommend them both.
1)The Jesus you never knew. by Phil Yancey
Half way through it and its excellent. Think its been around awhile, but its worth tracking down
and
2)"With" By Sky Jethani, this is fantastic as well.
Hope your church has a library, get these out, or get them in.

Anyone else recommend a few good books

Last edited:

Born to Watch

Mar 19, 2011
Australia
✟9,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've just finished James Furgesson's book "Taliban". An excellent overview of Afghanistan and the mess we've made there by someone who's taken the time to understand the Afghans.

Seen this movie "Charlie Wilson's War" recently on TV showing how the US used the Taliban to finish of the USSR.
Amazing insight to how badly US policy failed in winning over the Afghanys after the communists left.
Certainly makes me interested in the book.

more info on movie. Charlie Wilson's War (2007) - IMDb

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
One that I've recently read that was quite good:
The Lost Worlds of Genesis 1, by Walton. Its a cultural background and exegesis text on Genesis one that then looks into how we could reconcile this with scientific thought on material origins without losing the integrity of Gen 1.

I'm currently reading Prophetic Ministry by Rick Joyner, not really sure what to think just yet, though its been sitting in my to read list since my mentor gave it to me

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I normally don't like to be a killjoy.... but Joyner is a fruit loop. Search for any decent christian discernment website and you'll read how he distorts things.
The Higher Life of Rick Joyner
BeyondGrace: .:Rick Joyner Resource Page

If possible, run away, run away.If not, look for how he minimises the inportance of scripture, makes excuses for his OWN false prophesies, makes actually HEARING from God and "spiritual " anointings the sign of a real christian.
And if you come across any article that he explains his side of controversies he is involved in , count how many times Joyner call his critics "pharisees, legalistic, dead in the Spirit" and any other terminology he uses to dismiss them (to avoid actually addressing what he is being exposed for).

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
This is true of most of Charismania to my understanding though.
If only we could combine the fervour and hunger for God from the charismatics, the theology and correct Bible teachings from mainstream churches, and the discernment from some unpopular bloggers....

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If only we could combine the fervour and hunger for God from the charismatics, the theology and correct Bible teachings from mainstream churches, and the discernment from some unpopular bloggers....

I try, everything needs work, but I think that what you're describing is a wholesome life as a Christian, not entirely necessary though, Matt Gelding put it this way, "Spirit with no Bible basis and we blow up, Bible with no spirit and we dry up, both and we grow up."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
May I turn this thread it on its head? Just read Tim Keller's "The Reason for God". Truly awful.

Yancey's "The Jesus you never knew" I can almost tolerate because it is reasonably self-defeating in as much as it doesn't really support Christianity but a belief in Jesus. Try as he might he fails to make a good case for Christianity :)

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Josh Harris that i read in my teens.

ftfy

That brings back bad memories, especially his follow up Boy Meets Girl, summarised by "I don't like 'Dating' as it is currently let's go back to the early 20th Century idea, that sounds good doesn't it? People were more Godly then"

Upvote 0

Born to Watch

Mar 19, 2011
Australia
✟9,170.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
May I turn this thread it on its head? Just read Tim Keller's "The Reason for God". Truly awful.

Yancey's "The Jesus you never knew" I can almost tolerate because it is reasonably self-defeating in as much as it doesn't really support Christianity but a belief in Jesus. Try as he might he fails to make a good case for Christianity :)

I think thats why your whole comprehension of Christianity is perverted.
You dont get it.
Christianity is about Jesus not Christians.

Reactions: Humble Pie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
ftfy

That brings back bad memories, especially his follow up Boy Meets Girl, summarised by "I don't like 'Dating' as it is currently let's go back to the early 20th Century idea, that sounds good doesn't it? People were more Godly then"

I Kissed Dating Goodbye saved my life.

Upvote 0