✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
You're right! I should have looked at the other articles.:o

We live in a world where "Florida Man" is a thing and when you consider the things that he gets up to it's a safe bet to believe the article was real.

I don't blame you at all. People are crazy.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
What does it say about the state of society when we can't tell parody news from real news?

*head explodes*

yeah, good point...

I was thinking of selling a ridiculous product, something beyond ludicrous with fantastical claims. It's amazing, the more insane your claim the more people are willing to believe it.

Like the people in the 90s who were selling that apricot seeds cancer cure . Then again, when you are desperate you will believe anything...

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*head explodes*

yeah, good point...

I was thinking of selling a ridiculous product, something beyond ludicrous with fantastical claims. It's amazing, the more insane your claim the more people are willing to believe it.

Like the people in the 90s who were selling that apricot seeds cancer cure . Then again, when you are desperate you will believe anything...
Wow. I hate those type of people with a burning passion.

To take advantage of people when they are their most desperate is vile.

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
I think this has inspired me.

I am going to put together a youtube series where I sell some ridiculous item, like tickets to heaven...

Wonder how much you could make if you put up a little vendor stand and advertised some ridiculous item like "tickets to heaven" for $1.

Think about it. I mean, even if there is a 0.000001% chance it can work, isn't it worth a dollar? That will be my advertisement slogan... :p

though, i'm not sure how Jesus will take it...

hmmm.... perhaps if on the ticket there are a few lines of Scripture...

then the tickets would actually be legit!!!! :D

everyone's happy :)
Reminds me of this.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Reminds me of this.

I remember the Y2K paranoia back in 1999. People were making money hand over fist selling Y2K insurance and survival kits and other "end of the world" type stuff.

Oh, just remember the Heaven's Gate cult. Man, that was craziness on a cracker. Not only did the leader get everyone to give him all their money and also give him their wives but he require all males to get "snipped" as well :o :confused: :doh:

that takes the cake for craziest concept ever sold. Man, he must have been a heck of a salesman ... best salesman EVAR!!!!!

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single
I remember the Y2K paranoia back in 1999. People were making money hand over fist selling Y2K insurance and survival kits and other "end of the world" type stuff.

Oh, just remember the Heaven's Gate cult. Man, that was craziness on a cracker. Not only did the leader get everyone to give him all their money and also give him their wives but he require all males to get "snipped" as well :o :confused: :doh:

that takes the cake for craziest concept ever sold. Man, he must have been a heck of a salesman ... best salesman EVAR!!!!!
What's sad, sort of ... is that I slept through New Years Eve of Y2K lol. I went to bed early, simply didn't care. I woke up around 1am or so because I heard fireworks lol ... went to get a glass of water, looked outside to see if I could see any real quick, went back to sleep. For me, Y2K was a peaceful sleep :)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does it say about the state of society when we can't tell parody news from real news?

What it tells us is that "objective, factual journalism" was an artifact created by Edgar R Murrow that died with him, and the "profession" has reverted to what it was before Murrow's time.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*head explodes*

yeah, good point...

You'll even believe you can keep your plan and your doctor, insure the uninsured and save $2500 per year on your health insurance. And people think a solid gold ticket to heaven would be a hard sell after so many people bought that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What's sad, sort of ... is that I slept through New Years Eve of Y2K lol. I went to bed early, simply didn't care. I woke up around 1am or so because I heard fireworks lol ... went to get a glass of water, looked outside to see if I could see any real quick, went back to sleep. For me, Y2K was a peaceful sleep :)

I was working for Citibank in their retirement division at the time.

Six months leading up to the date was old people calling in making sure we were taking ALL POSSIBLE MOVES to make sure nothing happened. Of course they had no idea what Y2K was.

Then for the next month after we had all the same people calling in to make sure their money was there then to tell us they weren't worried anyway.

Upvote 0

TillICollapse

Dec 12, 2013
✟14,082.00
Marital Status
Single

Six months leading up to the date was old people calling in making sure we were taking ALL POSSIBLE MOVES to make sure nothing happened. Of course they had no idea what Y2K was.

Then for the next month after we had all the same people calling in to make sure their money was there then to tell us they weren't worried anyway.
I can only imagine lol.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,266.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Actually, there was a reason to be concerned that financial transactions that occur between American banks and their Asian sisters might be disrupted.

In addition, the safety mechanisms put into place in fear of Y2K paid off on 9/11.

Upvote 0

actionsub

Sir, this is a Wendy's...
Jun 20, 2004
Belleville, IL
✟57,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it was for Willy Wonka's chocolate factory tour, I would have bought one quickly.

Ever since I was mugged by a gang of rogue Oompa Loompas, I've been a bit leery of golden tickets to anywhere from anyone!

Upvote 0