• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

God, music, and OCD

Ghackman

Jun 2, 2014
✟7,655.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does anyone ever find themselves getting obsesseive about whether God is asking you to do something? In this case it's about deleting all or part of my music collection? Three times in my life I have gotten rid of most or all of my music collection because I felt it's what God wanted me to do. I've struggled for most of my life with feeling like God wants me to give up my music, either because there is something wrong or spiriually deficient about the style of music I like (in this case primarily instrumental electronic/ambient music) or because I feel like it's an idol.

I just recently downloaded some music and felt uncertain about whether it was something God approved of. I immediately began to feel like I shouldn't have downloaded it and that God wanted me to delete it. The feeling that I should delete it became all consuming and wouldn't leave me alone. I was thinking that it might be OCD because I've been overtired and had trouble sleeping lately, so I tried to ignore it and went to bed. Not only did I have trouble falling asleep due to my anxiety about the issue, but I woke up this morning and it was the first thing that came to mind. I was going to try waiting several days and see if the thought/feeling that I needed to delete the music went away or lessened, but I ended up feeling like I had to do it before I left for work this morning, so I deleted it all.

Has anyone else had to deal with this sort of issue? How did you come to have peace and clarity (if you in fact have ever had peace and clarity)? I really don't want to miss out on enjoying something that's a good gift from God if He's not asking me to give it up, but I also want to obey him if it's really him. I can't help but wonder, "Is this God or is it my OCD?" How do I distinguish the difference? Part of my struggle, I think, is that I'm afraid that if this isn't God's voice, then I don't know what His voice sounds like, because otherwise I don't hear it at all.

babegirl111

Jan 17, 2008
✟7,967.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know the exact feeling you are talking about. I will have a strong anxiety attack for days about things that I am unsure that God approves of. It is very hard considering we live in a sin filled world. I try to talk to close family members and other Christians and try to figure out if it is something I should or should not do. When it comes to music its tough for me to give you advise since I am not a big music person. I would talk to someone from church or someone close to me about it.

Upvote 0

Ghackman

Jun 2, 2014
✟7,655.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know the exact feeling you are talking about. I will have a strong anxiety attack for days about things that I am unsure that God approves of. It is very hard considering we live in a sin filled world. I try to talk to close family members and other Christians and try to figure out if it is something I should or should not do. When it comes to music its tough for me to give you advise since I am not a big music person. I would talk to someone from church or someone close to me about it.

Thanks for the reply. I have talked to a couple people about it. I'm still wrestling through the issue and trying to come to a place of peace.

Upvote 0

nanathalieee

Jan 19, 2018
Norway
✟16,615.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi, I've been wrestling with the same issue for quite a while. For me it has helped to ask God for truth, and choose to believe it. Here are some verses that have helped me: prov 3:5, isaiah 55:9, jacob 4:8 (draw near to God and he will draw near to you). Becoming more like Jesus comes through relationship. God is not after perfection, he's after your heart. Walk in the opposite spirit of fear by holding onto God's love and truth. It's not about controlling what's sin or not but about spirit abundance. Religion is not from God, he will lead you in regards to music, and there's no condemnation.

Upvote 0

JesusIsLord_

Oct 31, 2017
✟19,210.00
Country
Brazil
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What worked/works for me is asking God to solve that problem. Then I get calmer because i know i can't solve it on my own but if it is a problem then God will solve it.

Pray about it, then when you think about it remember it's in God's hands.

• Friendly
Reactions: nanathalieee
Upvote 0

nanathalieee

Jan 19, 2018
Norway
✟16,615.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What worked/works for me is asking God to solve that problem. Then I get calmer because i know i can't solve it on my own but if it is a problem then God will solve it.

Pray about it, then when you think about it remember it's in God's hands.

Thank you for pointing out that simple truth! I've come to the same conclusion as you. The fear is almost gone for me, but the feelings are still there... I'm choosing to trust God in the process.

Reactions: Mari17
Upvote 0