Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Posting blind

Jesus spoke about divorce, and He was both clear and adamant about it.

You see, the Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

And Jesus answered, "Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, for this cause shall a man leave father and mother and cleave to his wife: and they shall be one flesh? And after they are no longer separate, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."

And the Pharisees answered, "Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?"

And Jesus came back with an astonishing response: He said, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
-It is noteworthy that Jesus implied that the only reason Moses, not God even, gave them an out was because their hearts were hard.

Lol then the Pharisees said well if that's the case its better not to marry! And Jesus responded that not every man would be able to hear His teachings.

If we put Malachi in context of this, we get an entirely different perspective. I do not mean to condemn, that is not my intent. I only wish to share Scripture. I do understand that some situations are unbearable, I was in that situation, and I thank God for giving me the strength to remain committed to a man who needed desparately to heal and change.

See Matthew 19:3-10

Upvote 0

ImaginaryDay

We Live Here
Mar 24, 2012
Fawlty Towers
✟30,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thanks. I think Link means well, but based on his postings and past dealings with him, he can come off as abrasive. I was expecting these type of responses from him and he did not disappoint. Does not mean I accept them or agree with him, just means it was expected.

Whether or not he apologizes is up to him. No skin off my back...

Understood. I'm grateful that you have gained some scriptural understanding about your situation. It will definitely help in the long run.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,795,573.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has had a clean up and will remain closed.

As a reminder, the site rules include:

Flaming and Harassment
● Do not insult, belittle, mock, goad, personally attack, threaten, harass, or use derogatory nicknames in reference to other members or groups of members. Address the context of the post, not the poster.

and

Respect and become familiar with each forum's Statement of Purpose. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose; submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion. Off Topic posts will be moved or removed.

EDIT - This is being reopened. Please keep it civil.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
E

EazyMack

[blind post]

You know what, man... I am facing the same thing. I won't fill your screen up with my side of the story in these circumstances. That's not the point of your post.

The point is, divorce sucks. It's the ultimate admission of failure. It makes us look like complete fools. It's one of the most emotionally wrenching things one can go through (or in some cases it follows shortly after more emotionally wrenching things).

What's worse is, we're Christians. We're the light & salt of the earth. We're supposed to be different, not following in the ways of the world. We're supposed to be setting a better example. Things like this are not supposed to happen to us. Especially as men. We're the spiritual leaders of the home, so if anything goes wrong, all the blame is automatically on us. How can we tell anyone we're a Christian if we've been divorced?

I'd never prescribe divorce to anyone as a solution to their problems.

But sin is sin. Divorcees are no more condemned than anyone else.

Thank God we have a Savior. I might not realize just how badly I needed Jesus if it weren't for the mistakes I've made, getting into the wrong relationships & taking them too far. Now I'm getting a divorce. I need forgiveness. I need hope. I need to be saved from myself!

Because of Jesus, I am forgiven. Because of Jesus, my life still has purpose. I will gladly boast in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.

I can say, "Look at me! I fudged up. And Jesus still loves me. Why wouldn't He love you, too?"

Reactions: Lilymay
Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely. Divorcees are as loved by God as non-divorcees. Period.

Psalm 103:12 "He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west."

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟223,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
[blind post]

You know what, man... I am facing the same thing. I won't fill your screen up with my side of the story in these circumstances. That's not the point of your post.

The point is, divorce sucks. It's the ultimate admission of failure. It makes us look like complete fools. It's one of the most emotionally wrenching things one can go through (or in some cases it follows shortly after more emotionally wrenching things).

What's worse is, we're Christians. We're the light & salt of the earth. We're supposed to be different, not following in the ways of the world. We're supposed to be setting a better example. Things like this are not supposed to happen to us. Especially as men. We're the spiritual leaders of the home, so if anything goes wrong, all the blame is automatically on us. How can we tell anyone we're a Christian if we've been divorced?

I'd never prescribe divorce to anyone as a solution to their problems.

Thank God we have a Savior. I might not realize just how badly I needed Jesus if it weren't for the mistakes I've made, getting into the wrong relationships & taking them too far. Now I'm getting a divorce. I need forgiveness. I need hope. I need to be saved from myself!

Because of Jesus, I am forgiven. Because of Jesus, my life still has purpose. I will gladly boast in my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.

I can say, "Look at me! I fudged up. And Jesus still loves me. Why wouldn't He love you, too?"

Hey, someone who gets it! :thumbsup:

I agree with the bolded part. Whether or not to divorce is an individual choice. It's not God's perfect will for us, but it is his permissive will. He gave us the option in Duet. 24, but that doesn't mean we have to. Nor does it mean we sin if we do divorce, for whatever reason not just infidelity.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟223,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Absolutely. Divorcees are as loved by God as non-divorcees. Period.

Psalm 103:12 "He has removed our sins as far from us as the east is from the west."

Good point! Jesus did not condem the woman at the well for having 5 ex-husbands. He called her out for currently living with a man who was not her husband.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟223,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And once again a solid knowledge of anthropology (as biblically supported) once again trumps those with an axe to grind.

Not following you here... what do you mean and who/what comment(s) are you directing this at?

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with the bolded part. Whether or not to divorce is an individual choice. It's not God's perfect will for us, but it is his permissive will. He gave us the option in Duet. 24, but that doesn't mean we have to.

Moses did not allow divorce without a certificate of divorce. Christ said that Moses allowed divorce because of the hardness of their hearts, but from the beginning it was not so. Christ commented on the topic, what God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

How does that equate to God still allowing Deuteronomy 24 divorces?

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟223,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Moses did not allow divorce without a certificate of divorce. Christ said that Moses allowed divorce because of the hardness of their hearts, but from the beginning it was not so. Christ commented on the topic, what God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

How does that equate to God still allowing Deuteronomy 24 divorces?

Christ also said he did not come to abolish the law, but fulfill it. Whatever is bound on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever is loosed on earth will be loosed in heaven. How does that not equate?

Our hearts are still hardened. We don't live in the beginning times. Never will until Christ comes again.

Christ's comments on divorce are about sending away a spouse without a certificate of divorce. Without that certificate, they are still legally bound on earth and in heaven.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ's comments on divorce are about sending away a spouse without a certificate of divorce. Without that certificate, they are still legally bound on earth and in heaven.

Where do you find Christ commenting on a certificate of divorce?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟223,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Where do you find Christ commenting on a certificate of divorce?

The same place everyone else claims Christ speaks about divorce. The difference is in the original Greek words used for "sending away" and "certificate of divorce". Same with the Hebrew in OT references to divorce.

Upvote 0

mjmcmillan

Sep 27, 2009
Out there. Thataway.
✟5,089.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm fresh out of Greek and Hebrew scriptures. Right now I've got a New American Standard and a New International version, and I reckon they'll have to do.

God hates divorce. He said so in Malachi. He also got divorced, first from faithless Israel and then from treacherous Judah-- so go figure. Then He took up with Judah again in what, to this day, has to be considered a rather fitful relationship. He's also got something going on with the Church, which is supposed to be presented on the Wedding Day as a chaste bride--- hmm, looking at church history that might want some 'splainin'.

Now, down to the part where the rubber meets the road: God hates divorce because it hurts people. I've been through two of them, the second much worse than the first, so I can answer that it's so. Argue about certificates, jots and tittles and how many angels can dance on the head of a pin according to Hebrew and Greek texts all you want, the simple fact remains that divorce hurts people. I did it because I was being abused, cheated on and if I stayed much longer I probably would have been murdered, so divorce is somewhat better than that, but-- it still hurts all the same. In the beginning, it wasn't so. But, in the beginning Adam and Eve were without sin, so treachery wouldn't have occurred to them. It took awhile--- probably until after Noah-- for things to get so bad that divorce could be a preferable outcome-- with or without a certificate.

I really think arguing whether Jesus was talking about certificates misses the whole point, and if He were here in the flesh he would no doubt say so. He always seems to go to the heart of the matter--- murder is sin, but the anger in your heart that leads up to murder is just as sinful-- and so I have a hard time believing He would say that the issue was whether or not you gave your ex-wife a certificate before sending her away. It goes quite a bit deeper than that.

Upvote 0

motherprayer

Elisha
Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
✟19,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The same place everyone else claims Christ speaks about divorce. The difference is in the original Greek words used for "sending away" and "certificate of divorce". Same with the Hebrew in OT references to divorce.
Jesus spoke about divorce, and He was both clear and adamant about it.

You see, the Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause?

And Jesus answered, "Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, for this cause shall a man leave father and mother and cleave to his wife: and they shall be one flesh? And after they are no longer separate, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate."

And the Pharisees answered, "Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away?"

And Jesus came back with an astonishing response: He said, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
-It is noteworthy that Jesus implied that the only reason Moses, not God even, gave them an out was because their hearts were hard.

Lol then the Pharisees said well if that's the case its better not to marry! And Jesus responded that not every man would be able to hear His teachings.

If we put Malachi in context of this, we get an entirely different perspective. I do not mean to condemn, that is not my intent. I only wish to share Scripture. I do understand that some situations are unbearable, I was in that situation, and I thank God for giving me the strength to remain committed to a man who needed desparately to heal and change.

See Matthew 19:3-10

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

And the passage uses the 'sending away' word to refer even to divorces WITH the certificate. This is clear from the passage (see previous posts.)

Upvote 0

LinkH

Jun 19, 2006
✟43,833.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Christ also said he did not come to abolish the law, but fulfill it.

Forbidding divorce (or most of it) by declaring it adultery does not abolish the law. It adds a higher requirement on top of the law. Christ did this repeatedly in Matthew 5. The law forbids murder. Christ warned about angry words spoken. The Old Testament says not to break your oaths, and Christ said to swear not at all. The Old Testament said not to commit adultery, and Christ taught against looking at a woman to lust after her. The law said you could give your wife a writing of divorcement, but Christ said if a man divorces his wife except it be for fornication, and marries another, he commits adultery, and He that marries her that is divorced commits adultery.

The Law does not REQUIRE men to divorce their wives (aside from illegitimate/forbidden marriages). So forbidding divorce as Christ did does not contradict or abolish the Law.

Whatever is bound on earth will be bound in heaven and whatever is loosed on earth will be loosed in heaven. How does that not equate?

How do you connect that to divorce? Does your church congregation decree people to be divorced? I've seen plenty of wedding ceremonies at church, but I've never seen a divorce ceremony.

Our hearts are still hardened. We don't live in the beginning times. Never will until Christ comes again.

Israel's hearts were hard when Moses gave the law. Our hearts should not be hardened.

Hebrews 3:8
do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion, during the time of testing in the desert,

Christ's comments on divorce are about sending away a spouse without a certificate of divorce.

Not the ones we are discussing. They are quite clearly about the kind of 'sending away' that Moses allowed, the kind with a certificate. This is extremely clear in the passage, and I pointed it out in detail earlier in the thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.