Aug 12, 2015
Keizer, Oregon
Visit site
✟15,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am looking for some advice, reassurance, or perhaps some simple guidance on a family issue I'm experiencing related to giving and/or supporting a family member.

To keep this extremely short, I have a brother that is three years my younger that I have been supporting for well over 15 years. I'm 51 now, and business is not as great as it once was and I'm struggling to support him and my directly family (wife and child).

I know that the bible tells us that we should give the shirt off our back but at what point if any do you say enough is enough and help your immediate family first?

I really don't want to bore you with details, but I have spent 20-30 thousand dollars on him in just a few years. My brother seems to be bi-polar, and can't seem to hold a job.

Any ideas, thoughts, or guidance would much be appreciated.

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The bible also says it's a sin to neglect your family. I know that he's your brother, but I think you do need to prioritize family relationships. I personally put my own children and spouse above other relationships. Also you are not helping your brother in the long run if you just continue to spend money on him without helping him figure out how to support himself. I'm bipolar, and manage to hold down a job, so it is possible.

Upvote 0
Aug 12, 2015
Keizer, Oregon
Visit site
✟15,191.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The bible also says it's a sin to neglect your family. I know that he's your brother, but I think you do need to prioritize family relationships. I personally put my own children and spouse above other relationships. Also you are not helping your brother in the long run if you just continue to spend money on him without helping him figure out how to support himself. I'm bipolar, and manage to hold down a job, so it is possible.

Thank you for the feedback. I agree with you that at some point you have to look out after your immediate family.

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am looking for some advice, reassurance, or perhaps some simple guidance on a family issue I'm experiencing related to giving and/or supporting a family member.

To keep this extremely short, I have a brother that is three years my younger that I have been supporting for well over 15 years. I'm 51 now, and business is not as great as it once was and I'm struggling to support him and my directly family (wife and child).

I know that the bible tells us that we should give the shirt off our back but at what point if any do you say enough is enough and help your immediate family first?

I really don't want to bore you with details, but I have spent 20-30 thousand dollars on him in just a few years. My brother seems to be bi-polar, and can't seem to hold a job.

Any ideas, thoughts, or guidance would much be appreciated.

if God can raise up a dead man who's been in a tomb for 4 days and has started stinking (John 11:39, 40), what is bipolar disease? by all means keep helping him in the natural, but focus on resolving the root cause; this will help:

http://www.awmi.net/extra/audio/1033
http://moorelife.org/listseries.php?xml=rss/ReceivingAndMinisteringHealing.xml
http://moorelife.org/listseries.php?xml=rss/ReceivingAndMinisteringHealing2.xml
http://www.awmi.net/extra/audio/1036

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
What about your own parents?
Does he live with you? In what way do you support him? it is difficult to hold down a job with bipolar if he hasnt got good treatment and suitable work.
He may be able to have govt assistance. if he cant work full time.

I would say pray and ask God on what you are able to spare your brother as he is your family too, and if he lives with you that is supportive, even if you do not give him any money. you dont need to give money to be supportive of someone.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Also im sure if you talk to him and hes aware of your struggle with your business he would be understanding. People who struggle with mental illnesses dont want to be a burden either.
Pray also for your brothers healing and peace of mind.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟86,375.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
People seem to think family just is their children. But family means your entire household. So just be careful that you are not cutting off someone who is your flesh and blood too.

I was suporting/sponsoring a girl in zambia when I had a job, but had to stop when i didnt have it anymore. i didnt like having to do it but I had to tell the sponsoring agency I couldnt do it anymore. She wasnt even family and Id never met her in person.

Upvote 0