Jesus said to Love one another, what did Jesus mean ?

Curiousmind

Nov 17, 2023
Suriname
✟11,783.00
Country
Suriname
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Jesus said: “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
John 13:34.

Jesus spoke this to his disciples, they spent 3 years together, experiencing many miracles etc.
What did Jesus mean with that verse ? Love your close christian friends and family ?

Thing is, sometimes we do not want to associate with certain people or christians, because as you know associating with people takes time, resources and energy (mental and physical). We humans are limited in time, resources and energy and don't we all want to spend this first on wife and children and then on close relatives and then on close friends and then on the less familiar friends and then on the strangers. We prioritize because we are limited, we get tired, we get stressed, demotivated etc. If we were unlimited like God we don't have to prioritize.

Isn't it more fun to associate with people who have things in common right ? same social class, same education level, same culture, same ethnicity etc, yes maybe shallow way of thinking or living life, but it is easier so isn't it ?

Maybe the solution is, if each christian was directly connected to God, what I mean is, if each christian could hear directly from God, like humans talking to humans, maybe this would solve lots of problems but problem is, reality doesn't work like this it seems ?
Sometimes I see this, one christian angry at another christian, but if God told him directly to not be angry and that God has another plan for him, I suppose it would be easier or not ?
Sometimes I see christians disagreeing with eachother, can be many topics, but If God communicated directly to both what God wants, the disagreement would end pretty fast wouldn't it ?

Br,

Last edited:

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Jesus said: “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Jesus spoke this to his disciples, they spent 3 years together, experiencing many miracles etc.
What did Jesus mean with that verse ? Love your close christian friends and family ?

Thing is, sometimes we do not want to associate with certain people or christians, because as you know associating with people takes time, resources and energy (mental and physical). We humans are limited in time, resources and energy and don't we all want to spend this first on wife and children and then on close relatives and then on close friends and then on the less familiar friends and then on the strangers. We prioritize because we are limited, we get tired, we get stressed, demotivated etc. If we were unlimited like God we don't have to prioritize.

Isn't it more fun to associate with people who have things in common right ? same social class, same education level, same culture, same ethnicity etc, yes maybe shallow way of thinking or living life, but it is easier so isn't it ?

Maybe the solution is, if each christian was directly connected to God, what I mean is, if each christian could hear directly from God, like humans talking to humans, maybe this would solve lots of problems but problem is, reality doesn't work like this it seems ?
Sometimes I see this, one christian angry at another christian, but if God told him directly to not be angry and that God has another plan for him, I suppose it would be easier or not ?
Sometimes I see christians disagreeing with eachother, can be many topics, but If God communicated directly to both what God wants, the disagreement would end pretty fast wouldn't it ?

Br,
Refer back to the parable of the " Good Samaritan ". A lawyer asked the very same question...who is my neighbor?

Luke 25
And behold, a certain lawyer stood up and tested Him, saying, “Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?”
26 He said to him, “What is written in the law? What is your reading of it?
27 So he answered and said, “ ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your strength, and with all your mind,’ and ‘your neighbor as yourself.’ ”
28 And He said to him, “You have answered rightly; do this and you will live.”
29 But he, wanting to justify himself, said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31 Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32 Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. 33 But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. 34 So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35 On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.’

36 So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?”
37 And he said, “He who showed mercy on him.”
Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Br,

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

Br,
well ... evidentially not ... lucifer and the 1/3 was in direct communication with God and they sinned anyway ... Adam and Eve were in direct communication with God and they sinned anyway.

Also God wants us to know the whole story and it is a long one (the entire bible) ... everything He wants us to know is in it and communicates to us through it (the whole story)

Why (in your idea) would you suggest that He would only communicate with Christians?

Also, there is the more sure word of prophecy .... He knows the beginning to the end ... and in order for that to take place ... it needs to be proven and documented over time.

Upvote 0