Mar 19, 2009
United States
✟15,495.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

I love singing, been singing practiclly all my life, not to say that I am a great singer or not, because I don't think I am that good, but I love to sing all the time.

But it's like when I hear myself singing it sounds different then when I record myself singing on my computer and I am not sure why. I mean a choir director told me before that my voice was radiant/ had radience but he says he feels that I am not comfortable with my voice, I agree with the second part of not being comfortable I mean at times when I am by myself I will sing my heart out. But if I have to sing near or around others I tend to sing quieter.

Why do you think this is? Would you be willing to listen to a voice recording I made while listening to a song through my headphones? If so, please let me know what you think of it. I guess I kind of just need to know if it's me or if I sing like I think I do (okay/passing).

Be Blessed,

Angelwings_2009

SopranoLady

Apr 10, 2009
Orlando, FL
Visit site
✟15,112.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I have the same issue, i've been singing since i was 3 and currently i'm a music major with a consentration in voice performance. I sometimes think i sound ok or awful and my teacher says i sounded wonderful as well as everyone around us. Remember you will always be your worst critic because we're artists we want to keep getting better and when we miss a note or something we come down on ourselves harder than others do. I remind myself that God gave me this voice and he i ask for the confidence to follow throuh with what i want for my life.

blessings hon and if you ever want to talk to another singer feel free to message me.

Lorey

Upvote 0

Angelwings_2009

Child of God
Mar 19, 2009
United States
✟15,495.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I know exactly how you feel, sometime people are like why do you sing ( like you know how some ppl like to just sing solos or in choirs and all). Usually if I am in a big school choir I am okay but it's like when it's just me that's a whole nother story. Sometimes I wonder if they are hearing me correctly. But I have been working on being comfortable, sometimes it just depends on who I am around.

Upvote 0

crysacev

Jan 15, 2009
✟7,942.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I sort of in the same boat you are.....I LOVE to sing (black) gospel songs when I'm alone, super loud. I'm not that great, but I that doesn't stop me from dreaming.....
it's just the whole part about being critiqued that can interfere with your confidence and that effects your tone.....
when you record yourself don't sing as if you getting in all the notes just before your going to hit stop. then you are critiquing yourself even as you are singing and that almost always can be heard in your voice. You sound like you're trying to sing.
don't sing to yourself, just sing. then you won't be eager to hear what you were expecting you'll hear the way you really sound.
Trust me when you sing like this....you real voice will come through even in a recording. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are a lot of contributing elements to something like this, the first being the obviously stated that you aren't able to fully let go while you're recording because others may hear you and it causes you to hold back. It's something you sometimes need to just let go of and decide to give it a shot full on, even if it's only a 10 second clip, so that you can hear the true differences yourself and see if they are that problematic, or if it can be contributed to other factors.

Another issue can be the gear you use for recording. If you're using a computer microphone over a studio condenser mic, then you may seem a lot more muffled and/or shaky.

Upvote 0

rockinxrob

Jul 11, 2004
richland, WA
Visit site
✟65,472.00
Faith
Presbyterian
i tend to find recording somewhat fun, but for me the more fun part is the adrenaline i get of being in front of an audience, whether i'm singing a classical solo or a jazz improv. when i'm performing, i lose myself, don't really worry about what other people are thinking... just have fun. and that can go for recording as well. just have fun, if other people say you're good... well, you must be. and if you're interested in listening to good jazz, check out freeform on myspace... a jazz choir for columbia basin college in pasco, wa. i'm heading into my 3rd year of that. anyways, don't worry too much about your voice, as i said, if people think you're good, you must be (and about that offer of hearing a clip of you, i wouldn't mind if that offer's still out)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Greatcloud

May 3, 2007
Oregon coast
✟48,000.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I too love to sing and have sang in quartets and trios and duets. Also I was on a worship team singing. Singing to yourself is fun my favorite is singing along with the radio.

Have you ever thought of trying Kareoke ?

":^)

Upvote 0