Get ready for a fight...Bush Picks Roberts...

butterfoot

Formerly Known as cameronw
Dec 16, 2004
✟9,595.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: Heiroglyph
Upvote 0

neverforsaken

Proud American now and always
Jan 18, 2005
Hawaii
✟3,691.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
simpsonsburns.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
The Society of the Spectacle
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm . . . .

Does anyone know anything about his positions on anything besides abortion? 'Cause there are a lot of other issues, too.

And I don't put much stock in briefs he wrote while working for Republican administrations.

Upvote 0

Ozymandius

May 15, 2005
✟1,237.00
Faith
Atheist
cameronw said:
No problem. last time I checked the Republicans still have the majority in the senate. Go ahead Dems try and block the nomination. Republicans will use the Nuclear option and Democrats will be crying foul.

-cw

You know at some point democrats might have a majority in the senate and/or house. Exploding the fillibuster would look mighty stupid then. But so far we don't know jack about this guy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PACKY

Contributor
Dec 24, 2004
✟24,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://www.usdoj.gov/olp/robertsresume.htm

http://www.sctnomination.com/blog/archives/2005/06/potential_nomin_2.html

July 19, 2005 — Bush appointee John G. Roberts Jr., 50, was confirmed to a judgeship on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit in 2003, and was sworn in by Chief Justice William Rehnquist, whom he had previously served as a law clerk.

Despite being called the "best Supreme Court advocate of his generation," there had been speculation that Roberts' lack of time on a federal bench — and thus his relatively small paper trail — might scare Bush away from nominating him to the Supreme Court, but that was proven not to be an issue.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/SupremeCourt/story?id=954398&page=1

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He appears to be a genuinely skilled and smart guy. Perhaps not as strong on separation of church and state issues as I would like, but not as bad as it could be.

It will probably take him a few years to figure out that he is no longer an advocate, but a judge.

He's a smart pick.

Upvote 0

Sycophant

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard
Mar 11, 2004
Auckland
✟13,070.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
According to this other thread and it's source he also is very pro corporate interests and is against governmental protection ot the environment.

Although perhaps that will make him more popular with a large chunk of the population here?

Upvote 0

CaDan

I remember orange CF
Site Supporter
Jan 30, 2004
✟71,545.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sycophant said:
According to this other thread and it's source he also is very pro corporate interests and is against governmental protection ot the environment.

Although perhaps that will make him more popular with a large chunk of the population here?

It's hard to tell what his actual positions are. He worked for Republican administrations and then worked for a major law firm. He represented the positions of his clients.

Remember, Clarence Darrow represented railroads for years before he went into private practice.

Upvote 0