Gee, who would have guessed? . . . . . err, how about everyone?

A

a_nony_mous

"Benefit" concerts. Good grief - who cares? A bunch of self-absorbed "artists" with yet another opportunity to display their "concern" for mankind and get quality air time in the process. It's kind of like "Christians" who only attend church on Easter and Christmas - make their self-imposed obligatory appearance and disappear again back into their own world afterwards.

Good for FOX for recognizing these shams as what they are.
And what makes you think that all of these artists are self-absorbed? Brad Pitt was one of the people who made this concert happen, do you really think that he's self-absorbed, especially with all of the work he's done in Africa and New Orleans?

Upvote 0

Letalis

Jun 7, 2004
Miami, FL
✟25,650.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't think it's fair to make moral judgments on the participants. That said, they receive ungodly amounts of praise for fulfilling their obligation to their fellow man. This has a lot to do with the celebrity-worship in this country. The praise they receive is highly disproportionate to their actions.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Really? That's odd. Fox is one of the affiliate networks, meaning that everyone should be able to get it, even if they don't have cable. Do these people you know have their TVs all set up with the Digital Receivers you need in order to receive all of the affiliate networks these days?

People out in the boonies / hills do have problems getting stations at time, no network has 100% coverage. (Being next to the hills also prevents them from getting satellite & cable doesn't go out to their location)

Yes they have a Digital Receiver.

Upvote 0
A

a_nony_mous

People out in the boonies / hills do have problems getting stations at time, no network has 100% coverage. (Being next to the hills also prevents them from getting satellite & cable doesn't go out to their location)

Yes they have a Digital Receiver.
Oh, okay, I see what you're saying now. Thanks for explaining. And true that some people can't get good reception on all of the major networks (I know quite well what that's like, as I grew up having to constantly adjust and readjust the TV antenna, just so I could watch my favorite shows), but that doesn't make it any more okay, in my opinion, that Fox didn't broadcast this special.

Upvote 0

EdwinWillers

Jan 13, 2010
Galt's Gulch
✟8,420.00
Country
Niue
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It probably isn't fair to make such moral judgments about the artists or their motives - but this whole thread rests on the premise of exactly such a moral judgment against the likes of FOX news and why they didn't choose to air yet another celebrity-worship ceremony on behalf of a nation that really needs help at such a time as this. Knowing that FOX and others have been plenty involved in the effort for Haiti, but that they have not chosen to participate in such overt, attention-getting concerts says less about FOX's concerns for Haiti than it does about those who think such concerts are the be-all, end-all events for charitable causes.

Upvote 0
A

a_nony_mous

It probably isn't fair to make such moral judgments about the artists or their motives - but this whole thread rests on the premise of exactly such a moral judgment against the likes of FOX news and why they didn't choose to air yet another celebrity-worship ceremony on behalf of a nation that really needs help at such a time as this. Knowing that FOX and others have been plenty involved in the effort for Haiti, but that they have not chosen to participate in such overt, attention-getting concerts says less about FOX's concerns for Haiti than it does about those who think such concerts are the be-all, end-all events for charitable causes.
Wow, you just love to make judgments about others, don't you?

According to you...

--Every celebrity involved in that concert was self-absorbed.

--Every station that aired this concert, and everyone who watched it, all must be in agreement that concerts like that are the "be-all, end-all events for charitable causes."

--The concert was created as a celebrity-worship ceremony, and it had nothing to do at all with celebrities honestly wanting to reach out and help others.

Seriously, are there any other gross generalizations you'd like to make about this concert? Or are you all done now?

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
(hint; cause they're boring) ;)

yeah, that's actually pretty much it. I prefer my concerts live and in-person, preferably in the first or second row, straight up middle.

Heh - only concert I ever got seats like that for was Michael Bolton's Holiday Tour. :blush:

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
yeah, that's actually pretty much it. I prefer my concerts live and in-person, preferably in the first or second row, straight up middle.

Heh - only concert I ever got seats like that for was Michael Bolton's Holiday Tour. :blush:

I don't think I've ever been to a concert.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
A

a_nony_mous

I would go to concerts in person, but the crowds and the loud noises cause me to have a panic attack. So if I ever get the urge to see a concert, I have to stick with those on TV, YouTube, or DVD.

I don't think I've ever been to a concert.
The only concert I've ever been to was one of NSync's concerts, during their "No Strings Attached" tour, back in 2000. That pretty much turned me off of concerts for good.

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would go to concerts in person, but the crowds and the loud noises cause me to have a panic attack. So if I ever get the urge to see a concert, I have to stick with those on TV, YouTube, or DVD.

I remember how hard it was back in the day to view concerts without going to the real thing. Some DVDs of concerts cost as much as the tickets did!

The only concert I've ever been to was one of NSync's concerts, during their "No Strings Attached" tour, back in 2000. That pretty much turned me off of concerts for good.

I went to a New Kids on the Block concert when I was a teen. TOTALLY ruined my perception of music at the time. They were awful live, couldn't hold notes...I almost lost faith in the entire music world. I recovered eventually, thankfully!

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Hopeless: Fox News stands virtually alone in not airing Haiti benefit concert

On January 22, a wide variety of broadcast, cable, radio, and internet outlets, including CNN and MSNBC, preempted their regularly scheduled prime-time programming and aired Hope for Haiti Now, a benefit concert and telethon to raise funds for Haiti earthquake relief. But even after receiving criticism for giving little coverage to the devastating earthquake in Haiti on its top-rated programs, Fox News did not preempt its programming and air the benefit concert, instead broadcasting regular editions of The O'Reilly Factor and Hannity."

source
I'm sure they should have shown it,But what they did show sounds boring anyway.I didn't bother watching the benefit concert,or Fox,So I'm nobody to criticize.I just ended up listening to the radio.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Have to be rather dim and unmotivated to need a low brow, pop culture concert to get motivated to send money to Haiti.

That isn't the Fox audience.

The Fox audience has the sort of people whose churches have been doing work in Haiti for decades and whose churches will be there decades after all these preening and self-indulgent celebs are finished strutting around admiring each other for being such wonderful people.

Aside from that, MSNBC and CNN are getting killed in the ratings. They might as well put on kiddie show on. Few adults are watching.

QFT. Our Church has been in Haiti before the earthquake... during the earthquake... and will be there long after.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
QFT. Our Church has been in Haiti before the earthquake... during the earthquake... and will be there long after.
What do you mean "our church"? Your entire congregation? Someone from your congregation? Money your congregation sent there? Support for outsiders to be there? Or . . . ?

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What do you mean "our church"? Your entire congregation? Someone from your congregation? Money your congregation sent there? Support for outsiders to be there? Or . . . ?

Our church as in money our congregation raises, clothes / food / necessities our congregation collects, etc. that is then distributed by mission workers i.e. members of our congregation that are serving in Haiti to the Haitian people in need.
Two members of our Church have just returned from Florida with Haitian orphans. They were in the process of adopting these children when the earthquake struck. Had it not been for the disaster, the process would have continued as usual- costing these members in excess of $10,000 each plus about 18 months of waiting.

Children in our congregation have been collecting peanut butter and shoes at their youth meetings to send down when the next group is able to go into Haiti.

Our Church has partnered with Lifeline Christian Mission for many years. Please visit their website to find out how YOU can help make a difference.

Upvote 0

Washington

Jul 3, 2003
Washington state
✟7,305.00
Faith
Agnostic
Our church as in money our congregation raises, clothes / food / necessities our congregation collects, etc. that is then distributed by mission workers i.e. members of our congregation that are serving in Haiti to the Haitian people in need.
Two members of our Church have just returned from Florida with Haitian orphans. They were in the process of adopting these children when the earthquake struck. Had it not been for the disaster, the process would have continued as usual- costing these members in excess of $10,000 each plus about 18 months of waiting.

Children in our congregation have been collecting peanut butter and shoes at their youth meetings to send down when the next group is able to go into Haiti.

Our Church has partnered with Lifeline Christian Mission for many years. Please visit their website to find out how YOU can help make a difference.
Cool! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Why should one telethon take over all the channels?
I am glad there was one, I watched a few minutes of it, then proceded to
flip through the cable channels looking for something else to watch, the majority of channels aired it.
So why worry about one channel not airing it?

Upvote 0