Gay Marriage Referendum in Ireland today...

frenchdefense

Feb 25, 2009
✟18,286.00
Faith
Catholic
It sure does, and the fact also remains that it's<staff edit> according to God.

No, it's disordered. That has a specific meaning in Catholic theology and it do not mean <staff edit>

Get the Catholic theology correct or stop arguing Catholic theology on a Catholic board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,848.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It sure does, and the fact also remains that it's perverted according to God.
I won't go around to my gay fellow citizens and shout <staff edit>in their face.

It's just not in me and I hope it never will be.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟146,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
No, it's disordered. That has a specific meaning in Catholic theology and it do not mean <staff edit>

Get the Catholic theology correct or stop arguing Catholic theology on a Catholic board.
Hmmm. Your argument is semantics and I'm still right, and so is the church.
<staff edit>
  1. (of a person or their actions) characterized by sexually abnormal and unacceptable practices or tendencies.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Undoubtedly, that cannot by any means be accounted the perfection of civilized life which sets all legitimate authority boldly at defiance; nor can that be regarded as liberty which, shamefully and by the vilest means, spreading false principles, and freely indulging the sensual gratification of lustful desires, claims impunity for all crime and misdemeanor, and thwarts the goodly influence of the worthiest citizens of whatsoever class. Delusive, perverse, and misleading as are these principles, they cannot possibly have any inherent power to perfect the human race and fill it with blessing, for 'sin maketh nations miserable.' Such principles, as a matter of course, must hurry nations, corrupted in mind and heart, into every kind of infamy, weaken all right order, and thus, sooner or later, bring the standing and peace of the State to the very brink of ruin." - Pope Leo XIII, Inscrutabili Dei Consilio (April, 1878)

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Right.

Things is the Irish nation has had its say and we must all move on and still live side by side with our fellow citizens...
you know what? You're right that the Irish nation has made it's choice, and I'm glad that you also made yours.
I hope you keep on making that same choice and never loose sight of it.

But i also hope that your nation doesn't suffer for the choice that it made today.

Upvote 0

setmefree

May 30, 2005
Near Chicago
✟604.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not knowledgable enough to even try to understand the fine points of Catholic theology. However regarding this decision in Ireland. This vote was as much a vote on the deafness Irelands church hierarchy in a number of matters as it was on this single issue. If the powers that be hadn't abused those powers on numerous issues this vote would have been a lot closer. On this issue itself if the church and the conservative members and clergy had indeed followed what it actually teaches on homosexuality the result may have been closer. The reality is a lot of people claim to love the sinner and hate the sin but they really despise and shun the sinner with this particular sin. (not saying where I stand on the matter of if its a sin or not). This was a referendum on bad behavior by an institution and some of its members. The people actually had a say in punishing that group. So when they punched YES they were actually enacting retribution for many past sins that were enacted by the people who up till now had not been held accountable. Pope Francis knows exactly what this hypocrisy is all about. He obviously knows Catholic theology and doctrine but he is shining a very bright light on the hypocrites who say one thing and act a totally different way.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I am sorry if some of my language helped to cause escalation of tempers in this thread

Pope Francis, back when he was a Cardinal in Buenos Aires, he wrote a letter to the Carmilite nuns in his diocese, you can read it here

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2010/07/may-holy-family-join-us-in-this-war-of.html

or the words of the Holy Father when He visited the Phillipines
“The family is threatened by growing efforts on the part of some to redefine the very institution of marriage, by relativism, by the culture of the ephemeral, by a lack of openness to life.” the Address To Families Manilla, Philippines, January 16th, 2015

Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As Christians we should tell the truth with charity. But we also need to realize that disagreement, no matter how carefully worded, is going to offend those who want to redefine marriage.

Last edited:
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟841,549.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Gay marriage has been legal over here since 2001, coming up on a decade and a half now, and nobody has even attempted to force churces to perform same-sex marriages.

In some countries, the state gives licenses to the pastors and priests who perform marriages. It does seem possible that some country might find that anyone with such a license cannot discriminate against those who secure a legal marriage.

In the US, the issues of forcing justices of the peace to accept anyone hasn't been tested. I would think that such a suit MIGHT succeed. This is much different than requested that a religious institution to perform a marriage ceremony that is inconsistent with its teachings.

In the end, from a SECULAR perspective, all couples seeking a legal marriage to all those who offer marriage service to the public. Priests do NOT offer marriage service to the public.

Upvote 0

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟841,549.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am sorry if some of my language helped to cause escalation of tempers in this thread

Pope Francis, back when he was a Cardinal in Buenos Aires, he wrote a letter to the Carmilite nuns in his diocese, you can read it here

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2010/07/may-holy-family-join-us-in-this-war-of.html

or the words of the Holy Father when He visited the Phillipines
“The family is threatened by growing efforts on the part of some to redefine the very institution of marriage, by relativism, by the culture of the ephemeral, by a lack of openness to life.” the Address To Families Manilla, Philippines, January 16th, 2015

Pope Francis has strongly and clearly opposed any legalization of SSM. On the other hand, he once noted that, if the state is to act, civil unions were preferable to SSM. This was after the fact. Some have suggested that had the Church stated this view many years ago, civil unions might have become more prevalent.

Upvote 0

frenchdefense

Feb 25, 2009
✟18,286.00
Faith
Catholic
As Christians we should tell the truth with charity. But we also need to realize that disagreement, no matter how carefully worded, is going to offend those who want to redefine marriage.

True, but..

In my experience.

Sometimes the disagreement is carefully worded as to offend.

Reactions: ebia
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
What is interesting is that after many decades of conservatives complaining about "activist judges", meaning progressives who forced schools to desegregate and so on, the current crop of "activisit judges" are mainly making rulings that are politically conservative. For example, activist conservative judges have invalided most of our campaign finance laws on some very thin pretenses that are found nowhere in constitution and our laws in any literal sense- saying things like corporations are people and money is free speech. Really? I don't see either of those things anywhere in the constitution- the constitution didn't even originally count African-American as full people, let alone corporations, and the first amendment that guarantees free speech nowhere mentions money in any way. The Citizen's United case is pure right-wing judicial activism. But someone conservative groups who complained against judicial activism for so long when it came from a progressive direction have nothing bad to say about judicial activism that favors their own interests or beliefs.

I am not referring to the poster I am replying to specifically. I am just going on a very generalized riff based on the subject presented in the quote. I don't know where the poster has stood on these issues through the years. I'm speaking of the conservative movement and conservative politicians in a general sense in this country.
I thought this was about Ireland, which as far as I know has the same kind of separation of politics and the judiciary expected of most of the free world outside the US.

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,848.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
To those of you who fear Ireland's decision is enabling Satan get a stronger hold on us, I have these three questions.

What did you do to stop it?

If you indeed did something, could you have done more?

Can you sleep at night knowing you did all in your power to try and prevent it?

Upvote 0

S.ilvio

Jul 16, 2011
Dublin
✟342,848.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who cares about those questions? Can you really say gay marriage just made Ireland better and was the will of God? Guess what, if it isn't God's will, it's the other guys'.

Your reaction to my questions is interesting...

Upvote 0